Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Dawn 2011
Labyrinthe Forum > General Discussion - OOC > Event Notices
Pages: 1, 2, 3
abyatt
2011 “Final Dawn” Event

We’re very pleased to be able to announce the details of this year’s Final Dawn event.
We have been working with the master referee and campaign coordinator to bring you a new format for this year, which we hope will bring a fresh new approach to this event.

Master Referee
The master referee for Final Dawn this year will be Miles, who will be ably assisted by Carlo

Dates and Format
This event will be run between Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th of December (the Tuesday is a Bank Holiday). Although the event will only be over two days, there will be three separate sections.

Tuesday Daytime: Aiming for time-in at 11am with time out approx. 7pm

Tuesday Night time: Time in at 11pm, with time out aiming for approx. 8am on Wednesday

Wednesday Daytime: aiming for time-in at 8am with time out approx. 4pm

There will also be a separate evening forum running from 6:30pm on Tuesday through to around midnight.

This will mean that the Final Dawn event will run continuously from 11am on Tuesday through to 4pm on Wednesday in one format or another.

Pricing
We are very conscious that being in the middle of a deep recession and at a time of year when everyone will have had additional expenses over Christmas means that taking part in an LRP event could be seen as a luxury. We are, however, very keen to enable as many people as possible to take part, and as such have made every possible effort to keep the pricing for Final Dawn as low as possible (the below is a significant reduction on the prices from prior years).

Each of the event “sections” will be priced as a standard caves adventure: so £38 subject to a cash minimum of £10.

The Tuesday forum will cost £12.50 to participate and will be a catered event. Referees will be on hand during the forum and there will be no ritual of peace in place. The forum will be linked to the final dawn event and will be time-in.

Maximum points for the event are yet to be finalised, but for guidance will be approx. 150 points per “section” (we’ll update this post once final decision has been taken). No points will be earned during the forum.

Participation and Booking
Booking for the Tuesday and Wednesday daytime sections will be available via the standard online booking system.

The Tuesday overnight section and the Tuesday forum event will also be displayed online, and if you are not booked on to anything else then you will be able to book onto one of these using the online booking system. There is, however, validation on the online system to prevent adult players from booking onto more than one event on any given day, so if you would like to book onto more than one of the Tuesday events you will need to e-mail (not PM) the booking line (bookings@labyrinthe.co.uk) clearly indicating which of the three Tuesday events you would like to book onto.

You will be able to book off online up until a date prior to the event (exact date yet to be determined but we will update here well in advance). Cancellation after that date will be subject to 100% no show penalties.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A MONSTER IN ORDER TO BOOK ONTO ANY OF THESE EVENTS.

We have created the online booking with a certain number of player spaces, and will only look to expand on these once there are sufficient booked monsters to do so – this is in order to ensure that there are sufficient crew to make this a really good event for all involved.

Any players choosing to book onto all three adventure “sections” will be required to take advantage of a three-hour rest break during the overnight section – any such players choosing not to use this rest period will not be able to participate in any end of event battle (should one occur). This is to ensure the safety of players and monsters. If you are not playing all three sections you will not need to use this rest period. Points awards will not be impacted if you are required to use this rest period.

Thresholds and Character Types
At present this Final Dawn event is open for any characters and no thresholds have been set. As we approach the event itself we will be requesting an indication from booked players as to the points level they will be playing so the referees can plan party splits.

If you are looking to play a character of 10,000 points or more then we would request that you contact the master referee as soon as you book to play. We will plan to run a 10k+ section only if there are sufficient players booked to do so and only if there is a no max ref and sufficient experienced monsters to provide a high quality no max section.

At the moment we have only created adult playing sections. We are currently looking at different options for offering a young player section on this event, and details on that will follow later.

Staffing and Crewing
In order to keep costs as low as possible (and therefore keep the price as low as possible), and to enable as many people as possible to take part in the event, the CMT will be covering all the staffing positions over entire event.

Monsters will receive standard caves credits for each “event section”, but will additionally receive double standard monster points, and 2 ref points for each “event section”. If you monster for two or more of the event sections and book to monster before the end of October then you will be entitled to book onto the forum event for free (we’ll need to know if you want to book on so we know how many people to cater for though) and receive an additional ref point for each section booked.

Plot
The team have been coordinating with the CC and Alan to ensure that the plot for the Final Dawn is fully integrated with the gameworld, and the aim is for the event to be tied into an already existing major plot line and provide the players an opportunity to have a significant (and visible) impact on it.
More details on this will follow.

We’d like to thank Alan, Stuart and Miles for the effort already put into agreeing an exciting new format for this year – and we’re planning on a few extra surprises during the event. We’re trying to make this Final Dawn as inclusive as possible, and we’re excited about how the plans are shaping up already – so we hope that everyone enjoys the event (just a shame that we won’t get to play it!)

Rgds,
Andy and Phil
DanM
Quick question

If the forum is "time in", why are no points being awarded?
Surely there is potential death/danger?
abyatt
QUOTE(DanM @ Sep 2 2011, 03:58 PM) *
Quick question

If the forum is "time in", why are no points being awarded?
Surely there is potential death/danger?

Because there are no specific set adventure "encounters" or monster crew.
There may be a few NPC parts, and opportunities to find out information, discover aspects on the event plot etc, and the obvious possibilty of player "interaction".
So although there is some potential for danger, it's much reduced/different.

We'll review this again closer to the event once the refs have a clearer idea of exactly might take place at the forum, but at the moment it's not a points generating part of the event.

Andy
BBB
This sounds like a very interesting set up.

Whilst you cannot obviously elaborate at this time is it intended to provide sometime before hand, even if only OOC, a basic idea of what part of the Gameworld plot is likely to be covered by this event? It can make a difference in deciding what to play? Or will it be a case of turn up and see?

BBB
miles
QUOTE(BBB @ Sep 2 2011, 04:16 PM) *
This sounds like a very interesting set up.

Whilst you cannot obviously elaborate at this time is it intended to provide sometime before hand, even if only OOC, a basic idea of what part of the Gameworld plot is likely to be covered by this event? It can make a difference in deciding what to play? Or will it be a case of turn up and see?

BBB

The brief for the Final dawn will become known before the event and people will have plenty of time to decide what to play and to scheme etc

miles
BBB
QUOTE(miles @ Sep 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *
The brief for the Final dawn will become known before the event and people will have plenty of time to decide what to play and to scheme etc
miles

Cool, looks like I might get to play this one!

BBB
Jack
This is awesome!
Good work people!
DanM
QUOTE(abyatt @ Sep 2 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Because there are no specific set adventure "encounters" or monster crew.
There may be a few NPC parts, and opportunities to find out information, discover aspects on the event plot etc, and the obvious possibilty of player "interaction".
So although there is some potential for danger, it's much reduced/different.

Ok I see.

This will be the first in about 5 years that I've either not reffed/monstered or been unable to play
DavidFisher
This sounds awesome
Good work!
David
MikeLloyd
Is there any possible way to pay for the evening section via the online booking system?

Mike.
Rob
Sounds amazing Andy

Shame I don't get back until the 29th.....

Booh!
abyatt
QUOTE(MikeLloyd @ Sep 2 2011, 07:19 PM) *
Is there any possible way to pay for the evening section via the online booking system?

Mike.

At the moment there isn't, although we're looking to see if we can get the existing validation changed to allow us to book you on to multiple events so that you can.
Will update as soon as we know.

Andy
Dave
Think i may try and play all of this!!

Lets buy some redbull!

Dave
DavidFisher
QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 2 2011, 09:23 PM) *
Think i may try and play all of this!!

Lets buy some redbull!
Dave

Assuming the management are okay, as per last year l will bring a sandwich toaster and do cheese or cheese and ham toasties.
David
CharleyL
Sounds excellent, all booked on and ready to go!
abyatt
QUOTE(DavidFisher @ Sep 3 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Assuming the management are okay, as per last year l will bring a sandwich toaster and do cheese or cheese and ham toasties.
David

We'll be talking to the caves over the next two weeks about whether they will be open at all and if so what they will be able to do.
We'll let you know after we've spoken to them

Andy
Craigus17
Want to play all three but I know there's no way I'll survive being awake for ~30 hours sad.gif
DaveR
TBH Craig that's my only concern...

Would love to be off this year to FINALLY play a final dawn - but traditionally, on 24 hrs there's usually a nice, warmish, place for people to try and grab a couple hours sleep, or a power nap. (even if it's just on a chair somewhere) With this format and the caves site - it doesnt look like that's a possibility. I'd love to be proved wrong - but personally a sleeping bag on the floor in the tavern in the caves, doesnt sound appealing for me if i want to grab a quick snooze *

Dave
*Quick Snooze as inevitably by the time you actually fall asleep, the alarm is raised as another attack comes and you wearily reach for your sword ....

Bruno
Dave, they refer to "enforced 3 hour rest period" or something like that, I assume you won't be attacked during that! And to be honest, sleeping bag on caves floor would probably suffice at that stage, based on past experience!
miles
The 3hour rest will be an OOC sleeping area and will enforced by me, so no attacks etc

Miles
DaveR
I must've glanced over that part ... I will confess to scan reading the initial post.... Thanks for putting those concerns to rest Miles/Bruno. Now just to make sure I have time off work ....

Dave
LucyH
QUOTE(DaveR @ Sep 4 2011, 09:25 PM) *
I must've glanced over that part ... I will confess to scan reading the initial post.... Thanks for putting those concerns to rest Miles/Bruno. Now just to make sure I have time off work ....
Dave

Alas, the event is already booked up - don't make my mistake of trying to get the time off work first sad.gif

Lucy
DaveR
but.... but ..... but ..... damn ...... Oh well, If off will have to monster instead.... I still get to call quad lot's and not have to concern myself that I only have 40% left biggrin.gif

miles
QUOTE(LucyH @ Sep 4 2011, 10:06 PM) *
Alas, the event is already booked up - don't make my mistake of trying to get the time off work first sad.gif

Lucy

More spaces will open up once we have more monsters booked as we do not want 48 players booked and no monsters.

miles
abyatt
QUOTE(abyatt @ Sep 2 2011, 11:51 AM) *
We have created the online booking with a certain number of player spaces, and will only look to expand on these once there are sufficient booked monsters to do so – this is in order to ensure that there are sufficient crew to make this a really good event for all involved.

We'd love to get as many people as possible onto the event, and plan to open more spaces as mentioned above once we have sufficient monsters booked in order to do so.

There are bonuses for monsters booking on before the end of October - so if you're interested in monstering then best to book on earlier - more for you and means we can open extra player spaces sooner

Andy
BBB
Regards sleeping space what are the chances of making use of the Cafe Basement? or would that push costs up?

BBB
abyatt
QUOTE(BBB @ Sep 5 2011, 08:38 AM) *
Regards sleeping space what are the chances of making use of the Cafe Basement? or would that push costs up?

BBB

We currently have three options that we're looking at, but final arrangements will depend on the number of people booked on to all three sections.

We'll provide details nearer the time when we know the number of people that will need to use the 3-hour break

Andy
DavidFisher
Would it be possible to have the option to run the 3 sections end-to-end on a single battleboard? Rather than 150 points per section, the total points could go up to balance the extra difficulty of not getting 2 restarts
Cheers
David "hard core" Fisher
Bruno
Because 450pts in 2 days is too low! ohmy.gif
GuyV
QUOTE(DavidFisher @ Sep 6 2011, 08:17 AM) *
Would it be possible to have the option to run the 3 sections end-to-end on a single battleboard? Rather than 150 points per section, the total points could go up to balance the extra difficulty of not getting 2 restarts
Cheers
David "hard core" Fisher

Nothing hard core about making the other players carry you so you can score bonus points tbh.

Guy "shouldn't have butted in" Verona
Ryan
QUOTE(GuyV @ Sep 6 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Nothing hard core about making the other players carry you so you can score bonus points tbh.

Guy "shouldn't have butted in" Verona

My worry was that if this became an option then some people would just get carried as you mention,

However to be fair to David he would contribute fairly fully over 2 days with 1 battle board as all his characters are ridiculous...
Bruno
450 points in 2 days is rather a lot anyway!
DanM
QUOTE(Ryan @ Sep 6 2011, 01:09 PM) *
My worry was that if this became an option then some people would just get carried as you mention,

Or hide.

"Sorry I'm out of power, let me med for 3 hours"
DaveR
Isnt that half the fun of 24 hours ? trying to make your power last that much longer ..... also with 3 hours enforced rest for those doing all three sections - shouldn't be too much of a worry....

Admittedly if I get on I won't be playing a power user .... but thats cause sometimes it's fun to just do quad.

Dave
DavidFisher
Happy either way.
Wanted to make it more of a challenge, to see if I could do it. Would not be much of a challenge if my solution to do it was to just hide or med.
Regardless of points, I will likely try anyway

Just because...

David
Stevelouch
QUOTE(DavidFisher @ Sep 6 2011, 02:49 PM) *
Happy either way.
Wanted to make it more of a challenge, to see if I could do it. Would not be much of a challenge if my solution to do it was to just hide or med.
Regardless of points, I will likely try anyway

Just because...

David

Is this event only going to be 24 places and 12 at night?

I see its fully booked already, I had hoped to play as it could be the only chance for me in the near future due to other commitments.

Steve
miles
QUOTE(Stevelouch @ Sep 7 2011, 08:35 AM) *
Is this event only going to be 24 places and 12 at night?

I see its fully booked already, I had hoped to play as it could be the only chance for me in the near future due to other commitments.

Steve

As more monsters book on more spaces will open up.

miles
Stevelouch
QUOTE(miles @ Sep 7 2011, 08:41 AM) *
As more monsters book on more spaces will open up.

miles

Thanks Miles, Although I would possibly monster this if not possible to play, I have monstered the last few dungeons and have not played a dungeon in a few years now. sad.gif

Cheers

Steve
abyatt
The admin system has now been updated to allow us to add multiple bookings for one person on the same day. You will still need to e-mail us if you want to book onto more than one event on the same day (sorry but we know it would happen and someone would turn up to play when they've booked to ref as well!).

we've converted all the current multiple bookings so if you're booked onto more than 1 Final Dawn section you should now be able to see all of them in your My Bookings page and be able to pay online for any/all of them.

... if you're interested in monstering then don't forget the bonuses for early booking. We'll open more playing spaces as soon as we have sufficient monsters to do so

Andy
abyatt
Following discussions with the event referees for the Final Dawn, please find below an update on this years event:

There will no longer be a forum between the two days. There will be an opportunity for players to finish the first day and to continue to interact with the players on the night section for a short time should they so wish in order to ensure that plot handover can occur ic. Miles may follow up with additional information.

Decisions will be taken at the time of closing the caves on Sunday 13th of November as to the final status of the final dawn event, along the following guidelines:
  • If fewer than 6 monsters are booked at that time then regretfully the event will be cancelled
  • If there are between 6 and 8 monsters booked then the event will be confirmed and sealed at its current number of players
  • If there are 9 monsters booked then an additional 6 player spaces will be opened
  • If there are more than 9 monsters booked then we will announce final playing spaces shortly after that weekend
Andrew
dnsmantra
I would be amazed if you don't get a fair number of drive-by/late availability monsters so capping/cancelling it that early seems a little odd.

Huw
miles
It is not odd, it is that as this year is cheaper and the CMT hoped that with lower cost more people would make a better effort to play and monster what with the extra pay for monsters, but this has not happened it filled up with players very fast but at this time we do not have enough monsters between 1-3 depending on which day. We are not prepared to write a large final dawn when at this time even with extra pay there are no where near enough monsters for 1 section to play let alone 3-4 sections.
It seems everyone is hanging on for more spaces to open up rather than booking to monster so the adventure goes ahead.

Also not prepared to run an adventure with almost no monsters on the off chance people will turn up on the day or book to onster 2 days before the event.

miles
draco
I have booked on to monster everything I can, will email booking line about doing the forum and the evening tuesday in addition. but it is all family/work dependant so, while i should be able to come and monster, i may have to book off closer to the time.

At least i am happy to be doing my duty to final dawn

James
Martinj
I've been considering booking on to monster the overnight and/or Wednesday, but want an indication of level, as I don't want to monster over a certain threshold (as I tend to find it less fun). Can anyone offer a heads up on this?
miles
Current play is for it to be 1 - 10,000 breaking down depending on how many sections we can get going.

miles
Craigus17
I have no idea what hours I'm expected to do at work over Xmas yet, so can't book on before the cut off date, probably not until mid December. If I am able to I do intend to monster all three sections.

Are there any incentives for monstering the whole way through? Overnight monstering is no small task, so some kind of bonus would be a good thing :-)
Martinj
QUOTE(miles @ Oct 17 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Current play is for it to be 1 - 10,000 breaking down depending on how many sections we can get going.

miles

That's a bit more vague than I was hoping for (but thanks for the fast reply).

My concern is that if there are only 12 (night) or 24 (Weds) players there's not likely to be many parties, meaning that even the lowest threshold is likely to be quite high.

Frankly, I could just book on, but would feel bad if I then booked off due to not liking the points split.

Martin
Harrumph
can we kick off the threshold decision making process? how is it going to be decided?

thanks
Richard
miles
Thresholds will be based on how many parties, if only two then it will either be 1 - 10,000 which i do not like that much or will will have to change to fit 2 parties better.
Options

1-3k, 3k-5250k, 5250k+
or
upto 2k, 2k to 4k, 4k to 6k, 6k to 10k

it all depends on MONSTERS and how many parties we can have running.
Ajay

Miles

I have booked onto monster both days 26/27th

Ajay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.