IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Rage of the Sylph', I need some help establishing a non-standard.
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 309

My character got permed, and came back through a non-standard rebirth as an embodied Sylph warrior. I'm role-playing him into a split personality atm where he randomly jumps between his previous personality - kind, hasty, brave, and slightly stupid, and his new one - He believes he was brought back because of the will of the 'Creator - ( But since there's a guild created now called the Church of the Creator, I'll probably change it to something like the Maker etc' ) , and he is now the messenger of the powerful one. He calls everyone scum, and does not fear anything.

At one point I aim to get him to control this switch, and I wanted to pass a non-standard as following:

My character switches to his 'Maker' personality and becomes more powerful than ever:

- He grows in size and becomes brighter in colour ( light blue ).
- He gains 150% damage ( IE if he's sitting quods he'll hit sixes ) or something similar.
- He gets 25-50 ( what's the reasonable limit? ) % damage reduction.
- He gets excited and therefore gets agility, granting him +1 DAC ( This might be too much, but decided its worth a try!)

Downsides:

- He must fight till either he or his enem(y/ies) die.
- He will harm ANYONE who comes in the way of his will.
- He must have more than 50% of his TBLP to perform this.
- Because of his haste and over-confidence, he looses 2AC - or something else making him a bit more vulnerable
- After the fight he will go down to 10% of TBLP and every loc ( IE if he's 100/10 , he'll go down to 10 TBLP and 1 on every loc)
- After the fight he will either a) Be unconscious for 10 minutes, or cool.gif Not able to fight for 10 minutes

Thoughts guys?

Mark

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus
Sworn against the Cult of Sekmet
Leader of the Friends of Old

Elhor Linferon

Paladin of Light, Justice, and Honor
Servant of the Lady of the Stars - Elbereth
Sworn against all Evil & Undead
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MattHowells
post Sep 14 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #2

Militiaman

Member No.: 201

QUOTE(Maraku618 @ Sep 14 2008, 01:11 AM) *
My character got permed, and came back through a non-standard rebirth as an embodied Sylph warrior. I'm role-playing him into a split personality atm where he randomly jumps between his previous personality - kind, hasty, brave, and slightly stupid, and his new one - He believes he was brought back because of the will of the 'Creator - ( But since there's a guild created now called the Church of the Creator, I'll probably change it to something like the Maker etc' ) , and he is now the messenger of the powerful one. He calls everyone scum, and does not fear anything.

At one point I aim to get him to control this switch, and I wanted to pass a non-standard as following:

My character switches to his 'Maker' personality and becomes more powerful than ever:

- He grows in size and becomes brighter in colour ( light blue ).
- He gains 150% damage ( IE if he's sitting quods he'll hit sixes ) or something similar.
- He gets 25-50 ( what's the reasonable limit? ) % damage reduction.
- He gets excited and therefore gets agility, granting him +1 DAC ( This might be too much, but decided its worth a try!)

Downsides:

- He must fight till either he or his enem(y/ies) die.
- He will harm ANYONE who comes in the way of his will.
- He must have more than 50% of his TBLP to perform this.
- Because of his haste and over-confidence, he looses 2AC - or something else making him a bit more vulnerable
- After the fight he will go down to 10% of TBLP and every loc ( IE if he's 100/10 , he'll go down to 10 TBLP and 1 on every loc)
- After the fight he will either a) Be unconscious for 10 minutes, or cool.gif Not able to fight for 10 minutes

Thoughts guys?

Mark

I suggest just buying adrenal surge and rages from the tables to represent your more powerful form. Remember this is LARP, there is little point in writing an ability that says you get bigger and change colour if you cannot phys rep it.

If I were you I would concentrate on getting your ac and life up for your first few hundred points, then possibly develop the sylph thing further e.g. get some shifts, maybe some innate walk on airs, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #3

Mercenary

Hey smile.gif I already have 2 shifts and 4 walk ons per day. This is more for RPing purposes. Im really into RPing and want my 'switch' to symbolize more than false ideas. So I want it to actually give me the 'stats' that I feel. Changing colour and bigger would be a problem to phys rep aye. But do you think if I erased that it would be a 'possible' non-standard. I'll try to pass this much later on, I'm only 50 points past atm, got my rebirth today.

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
MattHowells
post Sep 14 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #4

Militiaman

Member No.: 201

QUOTE(Maraku618 @ Sep 14 2008, 01:53 AM) *
Hey smile.gif I already have 2 shifts and 4 walk ons per day. This is more for RPing purposes. Im really into RPing and want my 'switch' to symbolize more than false ideas. So I want it to actually give me the 'stats' that I feel. Changing colour and bigger would be a problem to phys rep aye. But do you think if I erased that it would be a 'possible' non-standard. I'll try to pass this much later on, I'm only 50 points past atm, got my rebirth today.

No, I don't think this would be passed to be honest. To me it seems overcomplicated, overpowered (mainly the +50% damage thing), doesn't make much sense (+1 dac?? random), has crippling kickouts and is unnecessary as there are simpler and better published alternatives.

e.g. Buy adrenal surge and a 50% rage. Quin, +12/4 life and a 50% damage reduction for 5 mins. Roleplay a big stompy raging sylph for a bit. Job done.

Last bit of advice; play the character a bit and see how it goes, you'll get a better feel for what abilities would really round out the character.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #5

Mercenary

About the DAC - after getting into such a rage, you'd get excited, and would get an adrenaline rush ( IC ).. this would make you stronger, quicker, and would give you better ability to dodge, IE DAC. Ill have a look at the alternatives then, thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
post Sep 14 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Group:
Member No.: 0

That's nuts overpowered AND underpowered. Simultaneously. How the hell did you do that...

It's a bit of a mismatch at the moment. While I understand the logic of DAC being thrown in, it seems incredibly insignificant in comparison to the horrendously abusable +50% damage.

Furthermore, it seems like you're doing a rather generic, boring powerup with a more fun concept. After all, what does a Sylph have to do with being big and strong (more than any other random magical creature or simillar).

In any case, you say you like to role play, and that's good, but you don't need the abilities to back up the change as you're playing it. After all, just because an everyday guy manages to flip out and get offended, doesn't mean he starts ripping everything and anything apart. Why should it be different for this character. You'd be much better off as others have said using abilities already available, exploring more flavored abilities based around your blue mana heritage and then tying everything together in a multi-class or multi-race.

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Sep 14 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #7

Monster

Member No.: 413

Maybe buy some adrenalin surges from the neuronics bracket.

as i know you don't know what they do here it is: costs 9 TBLP lasts 5 mins grants +1 strength

its pretty nice when you pop up next to the bad guy and yell adrenalin rush and start pumping through there armour.

it pretty much sums up what you were doing without the over powered parts and comes with a built in downside.

Seb.

--------------------
Seb

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Sep 14 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #8

Monster

or if you prefer apply for a magic based adrenalin surge.

Seb.

--------------------
Seb

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Mercenary

Im not too familiar with the background of Labyrinthe - IE what races look like what/ do what. I understand that Sylphs are air-like beings. What I ideally wanted is the RP oppportunity + a boost ( even if its not great ), here i just 'started high'. If you guys reckon that i'd be much better off using standard abilities then sure. What I ideally was looking for here was a 'de-strengthened' Last Stand with weaker 'down-sides'. IE i still die if I get below 0 on a critical loc, but I also get 25% damage reduction to help me with that. And after the fight, instead of dying I just go down to 10% of TBLP and every loc.

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
Sizel
post Sep 14 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #10

Mercenary

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(Maraku618 @ Sep 14 2008, 01:47 PM) *
What I ideally wanted is the RP oppportunity + a boost ( even if its not great ), here i just 'started high'. If you guys reckon that i'd be much better off using standard abilities then sure. What I ideally was looking for here was a 'de-strengthened' Last Stand with weaker 'down-sides'. IE i still die if I get below 0 on a critical loc, but I also get 25% damage reduction to help me with that. And after the fight, instead of dying I just go down to 10% of TBLP and every loc.

Getting extra AC from a "temporary boost" is generally a bit of a waste - as a warrior type you're going to want to be in your Maximum AC all of the time.
Similalry damage grades - there's not much point in having an ability that says "I get an extra damage grade for a little while" as you'll still be bound by the fact that your Maximum damage is Quad: Unless your ability very specifcally says so you won't be able to inflict more than Quad.

If you want an "I flip out / get angry and, as a benifit I suffer 25% less damage" ability you can get them standardly as a warrior: It's called a Cold Rage and is meant to represent exactly that sort of reaction.
Similalry, as has been mentioned above, a better version of this - Adrenal Surge - is a warrior ability that does allow you to increase your damage (and max damage) for those brief Hulk Out moments...

I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of En Guard and having a read through.
_
Pete

+Quote Post
Helsvell
post Sep 14 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #11

Mercenary

Member No.: 47

Sylphs are elementals of air. These are magically creatures that are commonly summoned by wizards. Elementals are able to shift from one patch of their own element to another. Generally elementals are not considered tough or strong but more magical in origin. If you look at the abilties you want to gain that relate to lrp stats you have put you would like :- a maximum damage increase (normal max is quad), a percentile damage reduction and some DAC.

There is a published ability that is only available to 1st class warriors called Adrenal Surge. This gives +1 Strength, +1 Max Damage, +12/4 temporary life and a 25% cold rage. That seems to fit in with the benefits you wanted. As a warrior you should be looking to get to the maximum AC 12 fairly early so the extra DAC you wanted would have little benefit.

Later on if you want to gain more benefits from a "sylph form" or similar you are probably looking at a multi-class or multi-race.

Thanks,

Peter

--------------------
Peter Smith

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Sep 14 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #12

Monster

I am glad you finnaly have to learn stuff out of the warrior bracket Mark.

If you remember jo's dungeon you are part sylph which were the air elemantals you encountered when i was monstering the section before you stepped over the line.

Seb.

--------------------
Seb

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #13

Mercenary

Lol Seb when I have to learn things outside the bracket then I'm fine with it, but when im just a human warrior, I don't really mind that much tongue.gif Adrenal surge does seem like the best function for this, so I'll try and get that instead.

Thanks a lot everyone

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 14 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Mercenary

What table + points is Adrenal Surge? ( I had an En Guarde but it was taken by someone while i was in the toilets sad.gif )

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
maxmcnally
post Sep 14 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Heldsman

Member No.: 65

Extra damage does not ness give you extra MAX damage.
Horendously O.P Mr OP, so imo just buy adrenal surges.......

MAX is cool though.

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Patch
post Sep 16 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #16

Levy

Member No.: 59

Disclaimer: I'm far too lazy to read a whole thread and only have so much time in a lunch break... as such some of this may already be said... but...

I have some experience with multi personality charactors, played my Psi-Master with a spilt personality for years and years some of my most enjoyable role play...

As such I have some advice, do not write a points app that is restricted to your personality at the time, it will start to limit your use and thus the entertainment and satisfaction you can get from your role play, I ummed and ahhed over it for ages but in the end anything that specifically limited or enhanced either personality effected how you'd play when you'd switch and how you enjoyed the adventure...

My advice is to keep the role play as pure as you can don't taint it with abilities that specifically restrict you... sure if you only want to use rages in Sylph mode the no problem, but don't make it a restiction because one day happy go lucky fella might loose his true love and you'll want to rage then and you won't and you can't be sylph boy 'cause he don't feel the heatache man and it will all be a bit of a let down, because you resticted your roleplay with your abilities...

One thing to bear in mind here is that Sylphs are specificly created and defined creatures within the system... They are filighty air elementals with a very short memory span... Not raging behemoths... as such while your ability may be over powered or under powered it doesn't really matter because it's not very "Sylph like" and to my mind would be rejected on that basis (though I'll confess a limited degree of experience with the current GSM I'm an old Green Pen guy me wink.gif )

If you want to get Sylth like abilities... think wind and storms...

So a raging Sylph might Deliver a Storm Blast by Blow, so Quad Storm Blast (very potent... easily counterd by MAC but for most monsters pain city)

Or he might fly into a rage with a furious gust of wind sending everyone infront of him sprawling to the floor (knock back, knock down)

Perhaps he becomes more "air Like" and less tangibal, granting x% off sharp weapons...

I dunno, but think air creature, not hulking ruck beast, and I'd imagine you'll have better luck in your future points apps, play to the strengths smile.gif

Patch

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Sep 17 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #17

Monster

how about something like.........

Puff of air at will.
X/day electric shock
X/day gust of wind
X/day instantanieous blink

something like that might be fun i.e. quad quad, ahhhh too many enemies GUST OF WIND, electric shock, ahhhh another caster behind a load of enemies "BLINK."

Seb.

--------------------
Seb

+Quote Post
Maraku618
post Sep 18 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #18

Mercenary

Im not here just for the sake of a non-standard, was mainly doing it for the multi-personality RP. So for now, just ignore this thread biggrin.gif

--------------------
Meneias Alrenstoak:

Warrior of Honor&Bravery
Servant of Tritulus

Elhor Linferon

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Sep 18 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #19

Monster

Oh well i might do something like that as it looks fun! wink.gif

Seb.

--------------------
Seb

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 08:13 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins