IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Heroes - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heroes, Is it relevant to you?
Stuart
post May 16 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

Given it's a Friday, a few questions.

1. Is Heroes of the Empire (run by Alan Morgan - kingfits.proboards.com) relevant to you in LRP? If not, would you like it to be?
2. Should it be?
3. If it isn't and you think it should be, what could be done to make it more relevant for you?

Stuart
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DanM
post May 16 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Post Police

Member No.: 38

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. n/a

I think it's a massive shame that the turnaround is so slow, and that it takes years to break into as a new player.
I also think it's a shame that will only get worse as time goes on, especially if more players want to be involved.

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
Archevol
post May 16 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Militiaman

Member No.: 1,279

QUOTE(Stuart @ May 16 2014, 11:18 AM) *
Given it's a Friday, a few questions.

1. Is Heroes of the Empire (run by Alan Morgan - kingfits.proboards.com) relevant to you in LRP? If not, would you like it to be?
2. Should it be?
3. If it isn't and you think it should be, what could be done to make it more relevant for you?

Stuart

TBH I know very little about it. Not that is seems like a closed door; more just rather obscure. It does seem like a plot driver, so would be good to see factors highlighted. Would it be achievable to tie up plot developments from it with Primal Times? In some ways that seems like a good platform to globalise events that occur in HoTE.

--------------------
Currently playing:
Archevol - Baronial Hermit Priest - 1,200pts
Corvidius - Goodly Human Pure Priest - 500 pts
Hansel - Ivory Drave Cavalier - 100pts (turning front-line warriors into pin-ups once more)
Tally Badgloom - Neutral Goblin potion vendor - 2,200 pts (kittens wouldn't melt in his mouth)

+Quote Post
Ryan
post May 16 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 574

Certainly one of the most shocking developments in Heroes plot I have seen that didn't flag up in LRP at all other than player driven comment was that Eartholme was basically besieged by Goblins - I played 3 dungeons in Eatholme in the time and never met a goblin because frankly no one knew...

Not sure of the solution but if a glaring piece of world plot like that can fly under the radar then anything more subtle and devious is never going to go across both games.

+Quote Post
Martinj
post May 16 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Mercenary

Member No.: 734

1. No. The Senate, politics and world background are important to me - but all of these could exist without HotE.

2. Depends. I think you could quite easily have a downtime system that exists to enrich the lives of characters between dungeons. Personally, I'm not too interested in that, but I see the value to others. What I dislike is that it means those who don't want to play HotE for OOC reasons are effectively prevented from taking on certain positions in the Empire as they are seen as 'HotE only' for reasons that would affect HotE, rather than the LRP. Changing this would mean significantly changing how HotE works. I would rather that the right people for the job are put in place, rather than limiting it to those playing HotE. That said, I'm not interested in HotE, so I would say that! I should also mention that some HotE players are making a real fort to create better opportunities for LRP-only characters to get involved/recognised.

3. I'm not sure I want it to be. I'd like to see more of the enacting rites etc done below the abstraction layer. I would like HotE to be about what your character does between dungeons, rather than about ruling the Empire. I'd like to see the meta plot handled by the CMT + CC+ Final Dawn refs, without having to worry about or risk clashing with HotE.

+Quote Post
fatteacher
post May 16 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #6

Hero

Member No.: 1,355

As a newbie I have very little idea of what 'Heroes' is or does.

--------------------
Andy

Godric Snowsson - Warrior/Wizard/Warrior Priest - 7.8k
Ginkgo Panama - Kensai/Warrior Priest - 4.9k
Grandbow - Human Spirit Warrior - 663pts
Noyen Nopac Zu - Snake Clan Monk - 1.9k
Coconut (aka ‘Dead Ogre Walking’)- Half Ogre Warrior - 4k

'It can't rain all the time!'

+Quote Post
Hulud
post May 16 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Mercenary

Member No.: 891

There needs to be a public narrative, this would make it accessible and relevant.

perhaps all HOTE mail could be coped into a single member who is responsible for abbreviating the public bits and posting them in a HOTE/Laby forum so the refs and playerbase can see the important public stuff as it happens and the ref's probably get a few hooks from it.

--------------------
Neil.

PM box FULL - Please EMAIL me instead: neilmillard1@googlemail.com

-------------------------------------
Conroy Suman:Grey Wizard,Nicosia Roguri: Pathfinder,Valentine:Champion,Keyser Kint:Thug,Boone:Scout,Virgil:Oppressed Troll Ranger,Doris the Dagger:Drag queen/negotiator,Sid Snout:Editor of the Sunsday Snort.

He boiled for your sins

Ramen

+Quote Post
DanM
post May 16 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #8

Post Police

QUOTE(Hulud @ May 16 2014, 02:04 PM) *
There needs to be a public narrative, this would make it accessible and relevant.

perhaps all HOTE mail could be coped into a single member who is responsible for abbreviating the public bits and posting them in a HOTE/Laby forum so the refs and playerbase can see the important public stuff as it happens and the ref's probably get a few hooks from it.

Well bits used to end up in the Primal times, and the local news is published after each cycle on the hote forums

I've wanted something like you say for years, and to get a closer interaction I've had to do turns. Not an issue really as it pays for Alans time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Naga
post May 16 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #9

Hero

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 118

I would love for there to be a great interaction between Heroes and LARP as there sounds so many cool places and things that have happened in Heroes that I have never heard of or know about.

I would like a downtime for my characters so that they could develop things like business etc.

But I do believe that LARP should be inchage of overall world plot

+Quote Post
DanM
post May 16 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #10

Post Police

QUOTE(Naga @ May 16 2014, 02:11 PM) *
But I do believe that LARP should be inchage of overall world plot

Big believer in this. Heroes is the support game

--------------------

+Quote Post
Will
post May 16 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Legend

Member No.: 158

1. Yes
2. No
3. N/A

I don't like that characters that make little to no appearance in my Live Action game none the less seem to have a lot more influence over my Live Action game than those who participate in said Live Action game.

Not saying it's always the case that said characters make no appearance.

I think this could be helped by more effort to smooth the communication between the two. The example with the Goblins is a good one. Would it have been a huge effort to put a notice out to reffs at the time saying "Hey, this is happening, could you make sure that if you're writing an adventure in Eartholme it includes some Goblins please?" This far off game that seems to have an impact only when convenient to the players swinging their big plot sticks to be all big and mighty suddenly becomes more relevant on a day to day basis.

Moreover, I strongly believe anything that gives someone significant in game power or privilege in a live action game should be earned through participation in the live action setting. Maybe some actions in Heroes should only be earnable if the characters have played a certain amount of, not neccesserily linked, adventures.

--------------------
Will Power - will@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
iainwimble
post May 16 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #12

Hero

Member No.: 87

2. Should it be?

Stuart

1) Yes, it is a good place to find basic background information.
2) Yes
3) More Primal Times with local information for all the people.

I think Martin pointed out all placements can be done by LARP but i am not 100 percent sure, while the their are senator roles that are great for such LARP such as Covenant or Senator to Foreign Affairs their are others that in my eyes but i am a old Heroes and LARP player.

Primal Times was such a great source of information for the newer or people that dislike heroes in my eyes, i wish it was still going on and maybe we could sort something out or ask someone to help out do such thing like the Primal Times.

Iain

+Quote Post
Martinj
post May 17 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #13

Mercenary

Member No.: 734

QUOTE(iainwimble @ May 17 2014, 12:34 AM) *
I think Martin pointed out all placements can be done by LARP but i am not 100 percent sure, while the their are senator roles that are great for such LARP such as Covenant or Senator to Foreign Affairs their are others that in my eyes but i am a old Heroes and LARP player.

Actually my point was that at the moment there are roles that can only be done by HotE players, due to the impact on HotE of having an LRP-only character taking on the role. That limits the playing field to HotE players, which is something I don't like smile.gif

+Quote Post
dnsmantra
post May 17 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 111

QUOTE(Will @ May 16 2014, 08:06 PM) *
Moreover, I strongly believe anything that gives someone significant in game power or privilege in a live action game should be earned through participation in the live action setting.

Its worth noting that a lot of the powerful characters in heroes, at least a good number of them, got a lot of power through live. They're just too many points to realistically play that often.

Huw

+Quote Post
dnsmantra
post May 17 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 111

QUOTE(Martinj @ May 17 2014, 08:45 AM) *
Actually my point was that at the moment there are roles that can only be done by HotE players, due to the impact on HotE of having an LRP-only character taking on the role. That limits the playing field to HotE players, which is something I don't like smile.gif

I certainly agree that it would be nice if all roles could be done by someone who didn't play HoTE. Case in point several of us suggested Marcus might make a good chancellor, but OOC we couldn't push that through because of not playing HoTe. Which is a shame.

It should be possible to be able to appoint whoever you want to a particular position and then have NPC reeves or similar do the HoTe/admin side of things if necessary. I'm not 100% how the logistics would work, but on principal I definitely think the positions of power should be able to be filled by anyone appropriate irrespective of what game they play in OOC.

Huw

+Quote Post
iainwimble
post May 17 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #16

Hero

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Martinj @ May 17 2014, 08:45 AM) *

Opps sorry totally my fault there i missed read it.

Iain

+Quote Post
DanM
post May 17 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #17

Post Police

Its still better than the positions being filled by NPCs and out of player hands

Might not be ideal but better than the alternative.

I'd love to see a viable way of opening it up

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanM
post May 27 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #18

Post Police

What would be peoples suggestions?

It would be nice to hear contrasting suggestions from seasoned HOTE players versus those that have never played

--------------------

+Quote Post
post May 27 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #19

Group:
Member No.: 0

For those who don't know me I'm an old LRPer who now interacts through HOTE with Laby…

I'm also a fan of the LRP HOTE link - which I feel enriches both games at it's best (and which I'll admit frustrates at it's worst).

For the pure LRP crowd Alan Morgan (who writes HOTE) is busy churning out novels worth of materiel which deals with the off dungeon adventures of those characters who play HOTE, all of this materiel is posted on the pro board Stuart mentioned every few months as each chapter of HOTE concludes. For LRP much of this isn't directly relevant - but it also drives as a side effect news about the world. The effects of CP sent to Alan are included in this, which all provides flavor which people can dip into as they see fit.

One idea which was thrown out on the HOTE boards was that a set of permalinks could be made so that people could easily see what Alan wrote recently for a given area. This would make it easy to pick up flavor if there was an interest.

In addition the idea was floated that a set of links on the HOTE site could point to threads of adventure summaries from the LRP side (if there is interest in that sort of chronicle among the current LRP crowd). This would help to immortalize the stories told in LRP and especially for campaigns and theme days is the sort of stuff I for one would love to hear about...

The hope was that this fairly simple fix, which wouldn't require too much of anyones time would help to make the info that is out there easily accessible if people want to read about it.

If there is significant interest on the LRP side I'm happy to chat to the CMT and see if something can be worked out.

Cheers,

Adam

+Quote Post
post Jul 12 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #20

Group:
Member No.: 0

I'm taking the lack of posts to mean that people are fine with the status quo and happy to go to the HOTE pro board when they want background information?

Cheers,

Adam

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:35 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins