IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Safety of Area "A" - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Safety of Area "A", slips, slides and other mess.
Icykle
post Apr 29 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 365

Having recently returned to the caves, I have noticed that certain areas of the caves have become much wetter. Compared to the bone dry of ages past.

Area "A" and around the chessboard and behind the loo blocks in "B" are now suffering from a water problem.

This seems to range from on a good day, just a constant layer of wet slippery mud like scum, a danger to player and crew alike. this scum also makes setting more tricky.

On a bad day it can be sloshing in water, with the mice going round on speedboats, and the rats taking to rowing.

The water seems more of a issue in the rooms/areas, that have concrete/worked stone floors like the back rooms in "A".

As I have got older my balance has deteriorated a lot , but I have still seen monsters and other players lose their footing, and reffs telling people not to fall on the floor.

What is being done to resolve this water problem?

Can the ventilation fans be used more to help?

Any other ways of soaking up or getting rid of the water?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--------------------
For those that remember I be known as Graham Ford (Silver-Ford)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JackFlashblade
post Apr 29 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Legend

Member No.: 190

Its much better than it was ages back.

Chris

+Quote Post
post Apr 29 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 29 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Mercenary

Member No.: 259

I think Lucy is correct. And as Chris says it is much much better than it was. Unfortunately with it being a cave, with porous chalk walls, with no through air, a constant temperature of 5 degrees or so, and 96% humidity it's incredibly difficult to dry anything out. It does happen, but can and will take years.

Electric fans and heaters will burn out due to the damp and the amount of work they would need to do to make a dent in the dampness. It would be terribly costly to even try. The other side of it is: If you try to dry out the floors unnaturally, you stand a risk of drying out the walls and cellings, which means they would shrink, which means cave-ins, even if you only dry out the first inch of the stone. Sounds dramatic, but it is true.

It's unpleasant to walk in, I hate the feeling of the sticky floor too. And I am unstable on my feet at the best of times without adding the wet floors. However, that is less of a problem to me, than the uneven floor everywhere else... and of course my own feet - ask anyone I fall over those more often than anything wink.gif

The CMT will probably respond also, as they like getting feedback, and they can probably explain the reasons better than us. But the above is my opinion, and is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Andrea

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
Icykle
post Apr 29 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 365

I agree with chris, the caves in general have greatly improved from when I was down regularly 1989-95.

My main cornern was the amount of wettness in the affected areas and its slipppery nature. I don't recall the caves ever being that wet , with the exception of the stagnant ditch under the bridge in "B".

The water/sludge is also more noticeable on the worked/concrete areas. rather than the comparatively dry porous chalkstone.

I expected uneven,low even jagged chalkstone , but not sludgey slipperery stonework.

I agree the geology issues will make the problem harder to resolve.

Is there anyway to soak up the liquid without affecting the structure. Maybe sand/chips etc ? just grasping at straws here.

Any other ideas?

--------------------
For those that remember I be known as Graham Ford (Silver-Ford)

+Quote Post
StuartEaston
post Apr 29 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #6

Mercenary

Member No.: 105

I'm not sure how recently you've been down the caves but its all pretty dry at the moment as far as I'm aware and I was down the weekend before last. The only "wet" areas that I know of is the concrete floor at the end of A which is always damp but not dangerous as far as I've seen. Plus occasionally the large room at the end of the tunnel has been wet previously but not recently. I know that recent weather conditions do affect the state of the caves quite considerably after a few weeks of soaking through but there's basically nothing to be done about that. I agree that it has been wet in parts of area A, but I don't think that there is anything practical that can be done for it, the entire area is basically impregnated with water and the concrete floor causes it to form on the surface (I'm sure there's a scientific reason that I can't be bothered to find out). Trying to dry out a cave seems to be basically impossible especially if you want to avoid the rock falls that did occur in area A a while ago.

The other problem with trying to use materials like sand to dry the area out is, how do you transport a large enough quantity of sand far into the caves without giving someone a hernia. How do you then scrape up the then wet, messy, sticky, lumpy sand off the cave floors and into a wheel barrow and then back all the way up out of the caves and put it where? Do you do this every week? Do you do it every month? Will even once a week be frequent enough to have any effect on the wet floor? Who will carry out this thankless task every week because I'm pretty sure you would have to be a real shmuck to want to do that, so do the caves pay credits for this, which would cost the caves even more money plus the sand? Also when does it get done, I'm pretty sure Area A is busy most of the weekend, so does someone get to go round after work and shift it all round or do they get to wake up extra early on their weekend to move all this stuff into and out of the caves?

Just sayin, kinda little bit impractical.

Personally I think there are a lot more dangerous things that occur in the caves than the wet floors in area A, so possibly just take a little care when you're walking. I suppose you could invest in boots with decent grip and good ankle support, that would be a practical solution.

Stuart

+Quote Post
JackFlashblade
post Apr 29 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #7

Legend

Member No.: 190

QUOTE(StuartEaston @ Apr 29 2010, 07:50 PM) *
Personally I think there are a lot more dangerous things that occur in the caves

Stuart

Bruno's weapon blows

C

+Quote Post
Jan
post Apr 29 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Bridgewarden

Member No.: 238

On a side note, the caves must retain a certain degree of dampness otherwise the structual properties of the chalk changes, you cannot simply put in heaters or desicators and dry the place out without putting in buttressing.

If people wear boots then the slickness is trivial compared to what you would encounter on most overland adventures.

--------------------
Jan McManus

+Quote Post
post Apr 30 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #9

Group:

Perhaps problem areas could be dealt with by putting down some kind of matting, as is sometimes done for outdoor events where lots of people need to cross moist grass/earth (this kind of thing). That would eliminate the slipperiness issues without actually needing to dry out the floors per se...

+Quote Post
isbiraven
post May 3 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #10

Hero

Member No.: 98

nice idea but the mats would just become as wet and "slippy" as the floor after a week or so...
the rooms in A have always been wet.. as far as i am aware, very rare however to see people slip and hurt themslves tho.

T.

+Quote Post
SteveBatchelor
post May 4 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #11

Militiaman

Member No.: 281

Hmmmm

I for one really don't want that matting on the floor. Look, I think everyone who goes into 'a cave' and that's what it is, a hole in the ground, should expect wet conditions. We all realise that we are in a low lit, low ceiling, low eveness environment and we all need to dress, and act, accordingly.

As Jan has said, wear appropriate footwear, take care and be aware of your environmental surroundings and all's well surely?

Just my opinion.

Steve

+Quote Post
post May 6 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #12

Group:

I pretty much agree with everyone else, I think trying to resolve the damp is a bit silly because as Andrea said, it's a damp cave. Simple as. I've been going for 'round about' four years and I've seen ?one? person slip? And the only majorly wet area I can think of is...you guessed it...the back rooms of A.

+Quote Post
post May 8 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #13

Group:

Well I've never slipped there myself (Which is good when running from the abashai with a TOD hanging on his hands).
I much prefer the wet flat then the dry un-even. The un-even floor sends my feet home cut and split every visit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:11 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins