IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Adding monster points to characters on day of monstering - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding monster points to characters on day of monstering, suggestion
Hulud
post Jun 21 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 891

I know the CMT don't necessarily have enough control over the space-time continuum to look at every single thread so thought I would plonk a link to this one here -

http://www.labyrinthe.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=19138

TLDR - Allowing players to add monster points to character cards on the day of monstering (rather than restricting it to the day of playing) would likely end up with more people monstering.

--------------------
Neil.

PM box FULL - Please EMAIL me instead: neilmillard1@googlemail.com

-------------------------------------
Conroy Suman:Grey Wizard,Nicosia Roguri: Pathfinder,Valentine:Champion,Keyser Kint:Thug,Boone:Scout,Virgil:Oppressed Troll Ranger,Doris the Dagger:Drag queen/negotiator,Sid Snout:Editor of the Sunsday Snort.

He boiled for your sins

Ramen
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elferrick
post Jun 21 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Militiaman

Member No.: 2,270

Couldn't agree more... cool.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Wayne
Institute.labby@Gmail.com

Vargo Radule D'Treal - Ancientfolk Wizard

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jun 21 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Deity

Member No.: 25

Sadly, that's not a very practical option, given there are limits on how many points you can put on a character how would you track those limits?

Currently its nice and simple, you go to the desk on the day you play the character and the desk can plonk them on.

This is to pervent the situation extrapolation of characters earning points without ever being played*

Also, how many people plan that carefully that when the monster they know exactly where they want their monster points to go and how they are being spent?

*Yes, this is a problem if the character is designed purely for off dungeon use... Dedicated Making characters have to carefully balance their points on dead points spent on making stuff that is typically zero use on dungeons and spending points to be able to survive and interact with dungeons to get the points to make stuff. It is for this reason that can only create new characters using ref points on the day you play them.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jun 21 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Post Police

Member No.: 38

QUOTE(BBB @ Jun 21 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Also, how many people plan that carefully that when the monster they know exactly where they want their monster points to go and how they are being spent?

People love points.

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #5

Group:
Member No.: 0

Put a cap on it then. Say 10 points if you're at the level were you can only put 25 points on when you play, 15 points at the next level and 20 points the one after that. Also restrict it a little more by saying you can only do that twice in a row max before playing again. This does mean that people with only one character will have more points going on their monster cards as they're capped a bit but as they get more char's it flexible. I'd love it if something like this could be done but if it doesn't I'd still monster when I can as I like monstering as much as I like playing.

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jun 26 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Hero

Member No.: 1,166

People should be able to spend their points as they wish, I mean they earned them, if they want to put them on a making character that they don't play often for whatever reason, why is that a problem? More manufacturers? Looks like more availability to me.

If there has to be a cap it should be reasonable and simple, but allow them to be spent when people want to spend them, not just when they play, what's the worst that can really happen?

--------------------
Jules
Seth/800 Blades - 10k - Pure Priest/Budoka/White Wizard
Kazan Toshimoko - 9.8k Council Yojimbo
Xeno - 6.2k - Ivory Warrior/Wizard
Dipp - 4k - Far Northfolk True Awakener
Sosen Oku - 3.7k - Jade Dragon Shaman (Bene/Healing/Jade Wiz)
Lt Benjamin Ford - 3.6k Nightsoil Comms Grey Knight
Moru - 3.1k - Twilight Elf Utility Wizard
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Jun 26 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #7

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

QUOTE(Abel @ Jun 26 2013, 08:27 AM) *
People should be able to spend their points as they wish, I mean they earned them, if they want to put them on a making character that they don't play often for whatever reason, why is that a problem? More manufacturers? Looks like more availability to me.

If there has to be a cap it should be reasonable and simple, but allow them to be spent when people want to spend them, not just when they play, what's the worst that can really happen?

If you could create characters in that way the various mechanics for manufacturing would need to be looked at. The level loss would counter most issues with magic/spirit stuff but the potions would be a problem. It would probably lead to a situation in which no-one had any potion skills but instead had a secondary character to make potions. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be a fix, or that this is a bad idea.

Personally I'm not convinced that changes to rewards will make much of a difference - it never has before - but that we need to make monstering more fun.

J

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Jun 26 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #8

Heldsman

Member No.: 386

This.

If there has to be a cap it should be reasonable and simple
Not this.

allow them to be spent when people want to spend them, not just when they play, what's the worst that can really happen?
This.

Although, also this:
Personally I'm not convinced that changes to rewards will make much of a difference - it never has before - but that we need to make monstering more fun.
J

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Jun 26 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #9

Hero

Member No.: 112

You basically just need to let people get 75pt and no credits when they monster, that they can add to any chr they want when they monster.

It's almost so simple that it won't actually happen.

As for caps and all that just think which will upset you more, somebody monstering 10 times and adding 750pts or doing 10 dungeons without a monster..

If somebody wants to monster everyweekend for a year they will get a 52*75 = 3900pt chr.

Do you know what? I think they deserve it!

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Jun 26 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Legend

Member No.: 52

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ Jun 26 2013, 08:33 PM) *
You basically just need to let people get 75pt and no credits when they monster, that they can add to any chr they want when they monster.

As for caps and all that just think which will upset you more, somebody monstering 10 times and adding 750pts or doing 10 dungeons without a monster..

If somebody wants to monster everyweekend for a year they will get a 52*75 = 3900pt chr.

Do you know what? I think they deserve it!

This

--------------------
Gordon Court
Port Miere business: portmierecitycouncil@gmail.com
Known to play: Amorphus, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2009: Amorphus, Ash, Cyric, Godstone, Kessel, Prowl, Mithaniel, Radiant, Raven, Strale, Void & Vorell
Cast of 2010: Amorphus, Aqueous, Blaen, Godstone, Hex, Kessel, Mithaniel, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Vanderlaine & Void
Cast of 2011: Cyric, Hex & Prowl
Cast of 2012: Kessel
Cast of 2013: Amorphus, Golgari, Kessel, Marimar, Radiant, Strale & "Terry"
Cast of 2014: Amorphus, Hex, Godstone, Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Radiant & Strale
Cast of 2015: Amorphus, Karador, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2016: Zaton
Cast of 2017: Amorphus, Equinox, Godstone, Golgari, Hex, Karador, Prowl, Radiant, Variel & Zaton
Cast of 2018: Amorphus, Despair, Equinox, Golgari, Karador, Lannary, Prowl, Templeton, Vanderlaine, Void & Zaton
Cast of 2019: Amorphus, Despair, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Prowl, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2020: Amorphus, Isamaru, Karador, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2021: Amorphus, Grizzled Wolf, Isamaru, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2022: Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Lannary, Leovold, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Strale, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2023: Isamaru, Leovold, Numai, Radiant & Zaton

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jun 26 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Hero

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ Jun 26 2013, 09:33 PM) *

I still like and have use for credits, as I'm sure quite a few people do also, the rewards are fine as they are, but just allow the freedom of use for monster points.

--------------------
Jules
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Jun 26 2013, 09:44 PM
Post #12

Hero

Member No.: 112

That's cool but there is a section of people who don't really monster as credits mean nothing to them.

This would make them think about monstering as a realistic choice to playing.

If you want credits then have them but to be honest £12 of credits isn't an incentive to everybody, just broaden things so you can choose the thing that works for you.

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jun 27 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #13

Post Police

QUOTE(Abel @ Jun 26 2013, 10:29 PM) *
I still like and have use for credits, as I'm sure quite a few people do also, the rewards are fine as they are, but just allow the freedom of use for monster points.

Options are good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gormaden
post Jun 27 2013, 07:29 AM
Post #14

Mercenary

Member No.: 2,327

This is all good -I like the idea of 75pts to be spent on the day - it equates to almost to a whole double lengths worth of points for helping by monstering - (and 110 for 3x length?)

but don't we need GSM feedback too?

--------------------
Marcos
Lucien Hollowfall - Phoenix Warlock
Flint - Ratfolk "warrior"
Huskar - The KRAKAN
Boglo - Weapons Priest
Borin - Elder Fey Blue Mage

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jun 27 2013, 07:44 AM
Post #15

Deity

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ Jun 26 2013, 09:33 PM) *

I like this as an idea however might that mean people rapidly build up a stockpile of monster points?

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jun 27 2013, 07:48 AM
Post #16

Post Police

QUOTE(BBB @ Jun 27 2013, 08:44 AM) *
I like this as an idea however might that mean people rapidly build up a stockpile of monster points?

BBB

So?

They're only imaginary numbers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jun 27 2013, 08:05 AM
Post #17

Hero

I'm guessing that is normal 40 points plus trade in your credits for an additional 35, i ok for people, then not only does it mean that more cash will flow through the caves, but also people will happily monster for freely spendable points (i.e. spend them as they want, monstering or playing up to X points). Then surely this is something everyone is happy with.

Game on?

--------------------
Jules
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
Flanners
post Jun 27 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #18

Mercenary

Member No.: 74

Yeah great idea Rich. If someone starts a 3k character and don't know any verbals/how to do anything then they just die don't they...so may be capping how many monster points go on whatever character on whatever day wouldn't be too much of an issue. If they've monstered 15 dungeons to stick 1000points on their 11k character in order to buy a 1k multiclass or someone wants to start a 1k character, i could see that being a good incentive.

I'm pretty certain there are people out there with horde loads of credits which = many monster points.

But yes, it mostly comes down to fun. If i know i'm gonna have a good day out and monstering will compare to playing (i find this is mostly on extended events,) then i generally will be monster it.

Steve

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jun 27 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Deity

QUOTE(DanM @ Jun 27 2013, 08:48 AM) *
So?

They're only imaginary numbers

You miss my point, which is making them too easy to get means that they loose their value.

Which runs the risk of a short term gain that tails off and every change in monster reward has so far suffered that problem that a year / 18 months down the line people are asking why there is a shortage of monsters.

The real answer is simply not enough club members...

BBB

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hulud
post Jun 27 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #20

Mercenary

Member No.: 891

QUOTE(BBB @ Jun 27 2013, 07:18 PM) *
You miss my point, which is making them too easy to get means that they loose their value.

Which runs the risk of a short term gain that tails off and every change in monster reward has so far suffered that problem that a year / 18 months down the line people are asking why there is a shortage of monsters.

The real answer is simply not enough club members...

BBB

In fairness (and with respect) the question was put "what would get someone who doesn't monster much to monster more" and in the case of a few people it seems the answer is allowing them to spend monster points on characters on the day of monstering and indeed broadening the table of what monster points can be used for.

If doing something like this wouldn't cause any real harm to the game and would certainly not stop people who currently monster from monstering as much then I struggle to see a compelling argument against it.

Lack of clubmembers is another discussion.

--------------------
Neil.

PM box FULL - Please EMAIL me instead: neilmillard1@googlemail.com

-------------------------------------
Conroy Suman:Grey Wizard,Nicosia Roguri: Pathfinder,Valentine:Champion,Keyser Kint:Thug,Boone:Scout,Virgil:Oppressed Troll Ranger,Doris the Dagger:Drag queen/negotiator,Sid Snout:Editor of the Sunsday Snort.

He boiled for your sins

Ramen

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:56 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins