IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Arranging your own Restore to Life - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arranging your own Restore to Life
JonMace
post Jan 14 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Can I remind people that unless you have some very interesting YP, guild ability etc, the trying to arrange your own Restore to Life is cheating.

Jon Mace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jan 14 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #2

GSM

Member No.: 54

That depends if you are trying to arrange for it before you die really. Seems a smart move if you are difficult to res to find the people that can do it before you die and do a deal.

Son of

--------------------
Please send points apps to: pointsapp@labyrinthe.co.uk

And send system questions etc. to: Lee@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
JonMace
post Jan 14 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Mercenary

QUOTE(sonof @ Jan 14 2008, 02:51 PM) *
That depends if you are trying to arrange for it before you die really. Seems a smart move if you are difficult to res to find the people that can do it before you die and do a deal.

Son of

I did mean when you are already dead!!!

Most of us already know the rules re this but there are plenty of new and younger players that may not.

Jon Mace

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Jan 18 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

Ok, its Friday and I'm bored...

I know it is cheating to get yourself ressed but why is it? If you ask someone to res you after an adventure, it is completely OOC and they are only able to do so if they have the character card (which the referee will either have given to the person who has possession of the body or the desk if no-one has it), so there's no question of an unfair advantage being gained.

If my character dies and my mate's character carries the body off dungeon (into, it's important to remember, Time Out), then does it really matter if I ask my other mate (OOC) to res my character? If Mate A decides that his character wouldn't allow it to happen, then he can just keep hold of the card. If mate A decides that his character would allow it to happen, then does it really matter whether it was him or me who asked Mate B (OOC)? I don't think it does.
If Mate A agrees (IC) to get my character ressed and then forgets (OOC) is it cheating to remind him?

Ultimately, does it really matter? Isn't it just an unfortunate hold over from the (bad old) days when a res had to be performed in front of a referee, even off dungeon? I can certainly remember being made to draw a prot, recite the verbal and wave my hands in the air in order to res someone despite being dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. I can also remember Ewan Anderson trying to kill me half way through (whilst also not wearing any costume and in fact being the armourer)

J

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Group:
Member No.: 0

QUOTE(Jasper @ Jan 18 2008, 11:23 AM) *
Ok, its Friday and I'm bored...

I know it is cheating to get yourself ressed but why is it? If you ask someone to res you after an adventure, it is completely OOC and they are only able to do so if they have the character card (which the referee will either have given to the person who has possession of the body or the desk if no-one has it), so there's no question of an unfair advantage being gained.

I stood at the desk last week and watched a (relatively senior) referee say to the desk staff "yeah, Latona can res me, I've got XYZ restrictions, but she can get round them by points apps AB and C which I know she has...I'll get the relevant person to give her my character card" Which, if not actually cheating was in pretty poor taste.

I think there are a couple of issues here which don't matter in the 99% of cases where the person who took the body off dungeon really does want a Res done, but do in the cases where they don't. If the person with the body might be discreetly burying it somewhere, or "accidentally on purpose" forgetting to get a res done, then having someone who is supposed to be dead broadcasting the fact is annoying - especially if the buryer is immune to Comms. Or maybe no one took the body out of the dungeon and it was left to rot quietly by mutual consent of the party.

A bigger problem it prevents is the situation where the ref gives the character card back to the dead character's player (I've seen it done, after the abovementioned "left to rot" scenario), and he then arranges his own Res.

But mainly it's just the bad manners thing.

Lucy

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 18 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Legend

Member No.: 62

Think it matters IC and OOC....
if IC for example, your a knight and another Knight carries you off you can arrange your own res. Even if OOC they forgot the card/not avabile to come down or what ever.
But IC if the dwarf is dragged off by the goblin then most likely the Goblin will want the Dwarf to die. Even if OOC there mates.
Make sense?
All depends on what happens, don't think theres a yes/no answer here tbh smile.gif

D

--------------------
Lord Knight problems... Contact Stacey. I'm free!

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Jan 18 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

Well exactly.

It might be bad manners to blatantly find ways to ignore restrictions but then thats why some people have abilities which let them res the res challenged. Is it really cheating? Surely the important thing is that the person who has the body (and, if the ref is doing it right, the character card) has a chance to take the card to the desk and say "I'm giving this a lime bath". Yes, it would also be bad manners to tell everyone that Argoth killed my character and then ate the body* but ultimately, if it's Time Out, people just have to deal with the fact that they know things that their characters don't.

I grant you that I'm ignoring the fact thast there are some people who (afaik) can res people without bodies but I'm sure those few can police themselves and judge when the piss is being taken.

Clearly the problem of a ref giving someone their own character card back is near insurmountable as at some stage you have to trust someone to play by the rules/spirit of the game.

J
*He didn't. I made that bit up.

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
Jan
post Jan 18 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #8

Bridgewarden

Member No.: 238

QUOTE(Jasper @ Jan 18 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Clearly the problem of a ref giving someone their own character card back is near insurmountable as at some stage you have to trust someone to play by the rules/spirit of the game.

J

What always used to make me nervous was letting my character card be taken by someone else. If it was lost then i would lose points (and it wasnt my fault), and the person carrying it would have access to information that perhaps they shouldnt (though admittedly only one of my characters had anything to hide).

In the purest sense of the game there is no time out, and as such you cannot talk when you are dead.

However the game does have a time out, and once in time out you are free to talk as yourself and not your character. Whilst it would be wrong to broadcast secrets at this point, it isnt a major step to start to pay attention to whether you have been ressed, and discuss with your fellow players (not characters) that your character is dead. Ultimately it's an exercise in having fun, and perhaps it should just be accepted that if you die, and are taken off an adventure and someone out there can and will rez people who meet a set of criteria which are held on a board/list, why not just write "alive" back on the character card with the appropriate vitae deduction?

Yes. I am being devils advocate here.

--------------------
Jan McManus

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Group:

No off dungeon resses?

Would be better imho

mark

+Quote Post
JustinC
post Jan 18 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #10

Hero

Member No.: 51

No, that would be bad.

Off dungeons resses are a necessary evil. People should not be weeners about it however. I think it's fair enough to ask IC that if you die your body is taken first to the High Priest of Shaehan, and if she can't be found, the priests of whichever faith is most likely to get you back up. If you're evil, make sure you have some sort of 'in case of death, bride Diomedes with these yellow notes' plan.

People shouldn't organise their own resses coz it's silly. If you're dead then don't wander round saying you're dead but need a rez. That's weird. Yeah, it's Time Out, but the ability is an IC one as is the choice to restore someone. Dead people don't talk. Although having a returner that wanders round asking for a res would be genius.

JC
Who is having 'Rez Plix' on his gravestone.

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #11

Group:

Although having a returner that wanders round asking for a res would be genius.

You'd have to be some sort of loon to have something like that wink.gif

mark
best bit ever was walking up to Chernobyl on a themeday and asking to be ressed blink.gif

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jan 18 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #12

GSM

Member No.: 54

Why not take the dangerous approach and go totally the other way. Published a tables ability that has a so/so cost (50 points say) and is once ever. Have it have a cost in grulls (Say 5k first time, going up 5k per time you already have used it). Then if you die, and are not ressed on the dungeon you can choose to use this ability at the end of the dungeon, hey presto you get ressed. Make various versions of it, all with different res cost (and maybe grull cost) and all tied to what version of res you need.
Restore life, nice ismple and cheapest.
Mantic animate life, well that's a lot of grulls and maybe 30%.

Everyones happy, no more off dungeon res needed.

Son of

--------------------
Please send points apps to: pointsapp@labyrinthe.co.uk

And send system questions etc. to: Lee@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
JonMace
post Jan 18 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #13

Mercenary

I think its a bit of a hang on from the old days when res was very rare.

As Jasper says talking to mates in the pub about your day is all fine and dandy, but actively seeking a res (PMing someone you don't know, IC or OOC) is silly.

Jon Mace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:34 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins