IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
GSM's log, stardate... - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> GSM's log, stardate...
sonof
post Jun 1 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #1

GSM

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

1st June

So a few days in and as promised a weekly update. My plan for these is to let people know what I'm thinking, how stuff is being passed, and generally useful info for people applying for points apps. It is also a chance to keep an eye on Fromant, and update people on "him" (these make be jokes, bad ones I agree).

Kicking off there have been some issues with points reaching me (carlo typing the wrong email address for example). Fortunately I have defeated this already. When I print a points app I'll reply to the email saying "printed" or similar. I print stuff off most evenings (weekends I'm normally reffing) so if you haven't heard back in 3ish days check.

Once printed I fail them (obviously) and will give to Duncan on a (normally) Tuesday evening. He will then scan when he has a chance, email out pdf replies, and envelope up.
This hopefully gives you an idea of the turnaround rate.

So what is being passed/failed?

Retros - Everyone knows I hate them, but this doesn't stop me passing them as they are (alas) part of the system now. However I will not pass "I vanish before taking anything" as a blanket ability. Depending on the retro you will take something from the first blow/effect, probably with some sort of reduction.

No effects - these need a justification and have a cost beyond points (deny power - class, foretold - level of casting, pure force is a major force miracle and 8 spirits).

Ref statting - I will not pass things because refs stat badly, sorry. Just raise the statting issue.

Multi-races - per level abilities get expensive. I have passed two races for close too/over 2k because of per level abilities.
I spoke to someone today and then said but it's because stuff is "multi-race only". I have no issue with you keeping a multi-race cheap and doing post 6th/8th abilities, or a class based on it. EG Primal Soul Wolf, go 7/8 as were wolf, then do a class based on rages because you are a were wolf.

I think that's everything for this week, except:

Fromant Watch: status green, no new system dangers.
"Him" watch: Callum viciously bullied again, but Grull pool removed, happy Lee smile.gif

Sonof

--------------------
Please send points apps to: pointsapp@labyrinthe.co.uk

And send system questions etc. to: Lee@labyrinthe.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jun 9 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #2

GSM

So update 2, and all seems to be going well.

A lot of people have asked about damage reductions and warriors so I thought I'd do a bit on that. The below is broad picture of what I think is doable. Clearly being a battle master, having more restrictions, not having power points, bracket purity etc. will effect it. As a rough guide for what a "warrior" can get (and hopefully to help ref's stat):

Perm 6 points off in some form. Clearly if you go for specifics (counter mastery, etc.) then you might get more. Or if I'd normally not let you get to 6 points but you keep it narrow it is more likely.

Perm 25% (or 1/4 off). Again how you do this, and the direction will impact on the cost and stuff.

1/3rd off (or 33%).

The above involves some form of class, probably two, and potentially a race. Clearly being a battle-master and building on that is a good way of doing things.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jun 15 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #3

GSM

Another week and more points apps failed (well mostly passed to be honest). Based on what's been in recently and Carlo asking Tiffer to ask me about Avatars I thought I'd mention them and items.

Avatars, I'm happy to pass them. They fall on a risk vs reward curve. the more reward you get, the more risk there has to be. I don't like and am unlikely to pass Avatars of "Starts at 8th level and can earn points". They result in the Avatar reaching the point where it needs an avatar.
My view is an Avatar is there to let you play your character at a lower level for a relevant reason (Guilds connections, your mates rebirthed because they trusted BBB for spend advice, etc.) not just I want to have a low level character.

A guideline is 10k for Avatars. Lower than 10k needs more restrictions on it (so only guilds where I am leader/can demonstrate a clear tie etc.).

And the other thing items.

I do not believe just become something is a "Myths" item you should be able to buy it for points. The key for me is a cool item that matters and is clearly character significant. You may/may not get a slight reduction on the cost normally this will only be if it is a cool myths/4 day item that helps define the character.

I also point out that items of "significance" (Hood of the disenchanter as an example) might get passed but will have restrictions, including may not be kept on rebirth, and possibly even this ability is lost if you don't play.

And finally:
Rule book and Realm of glass writing going well. No ETA on finish yet, I think there is a lot more discussion for the rule books when I get into the specifics of colours/sphere/other type of stuff.

Fromant Watch: Good effort, and I admit it came close to an Amber but we are still green.

Him watch: I suspect I am being lulled into a false sense of security and he wants me to think he is playing nice and will pull something out on myths, or use Ryan as a distraction.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jun 23 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #4

GSM

Morning,

After initial teething problems Duncan now has his (hopefully) working shining new scanner. This means the points request process will be much smoother going forward.

So what's the weeks news?

Well it seems that the efforts to create folder C points requests by combing A and B has begun.
By this I mean:

Points app A - reasonable.
Points app B - Fine
Points app C - no chance.

So people are writing A, then B and when used together coming upto C.

If people do do this then I will just take both abilities off them and start writing on every ability sheet they ever put in: Only stacks with published abilities.
So please just don't do it. You want to combine things lay it out for me. Use the email if you, just don't try and blag it. Believe me that I have seen enough of these attempts in my life to spot them pretty well, and to know who will try it.
Play nice and you'll get as close to what you want as the system should allow smile.gif

Along the same lines blagging points apps. There's pushing what they do and then there's abusing them. I've been asked to look at peoples points apps already, and will do, and if I find they are being abused I'll take them away. If people keep doing it I'll just stop passing them points apps.
So again lets all play nice and have fun smile.gif

With the bad stuff out of the way onto nice things.

What's hot and what's not?

A current popular choice in multi-races seems to be a unless killed by "Power base" instead of dying I 30 second power form.

I'll put it out there, I like this. It avoids the tedium of having to over cost magic or spirit only hits, meaning you can buy the race. Also gives a good platform to build on as you go up the levels.
And above all it avoids the retro and gone issue.

Other popular choice which again I like, is I want to do "this" which is pretty close to "That" but a bit different. Rather than putting in for a long list of abilities that are similar but different putting in "Can cast these despite this, but with these restrictions". It makes it easier for everyone to understand because when you say "X" its published. Anything that keeps things close to published is good smile.gif

Fromant Watch - All green.

Him Watch - Another tear to my eye as he has abilities signed on his card, and promised to get someone else to tidy it up.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jun 30 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #5

GSM

Another week ticks on and it seems the last minute rush for myths apps is happening.
I would suggest people that have idea's try and keep them simple as a basis and then use other things to grow on them. Trying to get everything straight off will not only be expensive, but likely to be a no. Keep it easy and ideally work out how to use the published system to achieve it and you'll be fine.

The planning of the books are coming along pretty well. I don't have anything like solid dates yet, but we've got progress and things aren't going to badly.

I've also had a couple of abilities regarding combining power bases come through. As part of the books this is being looked at (there's another post on it) so please be aware that when everything is looked at this sort of thing may change a bit.

Fromant Watch: Status Green.

Him watch: All going well here. He even asked before trying to blag something he clearly knew he shouldn't do...

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jul 7 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #6

GSM

Month two....

So July begins and there was a brief chance of a week without points apps, but this never happened.

What's hot and what's not?
Well restrictions seem to be in at the minute, especially losing res chance. I think it's only fair to point out I don't really value loss of res chance that highly as a way of saving points. So unless you really want to get rid of it to advance the race to blue heaven then don't bother. Clearly "I drop from 100% to 0% " for someone below 2k is a restriction, but for a 4k tough character I lose 10% of the 80 I still have isn't.

I also think it's fair to point out about forearm parry (always popular). A shield is far harder than fore-arm parry. if you are a warrior class that can use a shield and you want to give it up then I won't stop you. I also won't say "You have to get a potion/item/whatever restriction". That said it will just be fore-arm parry, no upgrades later no parry pure no nothing.

Fromant Watch - All clear.
Him watch - I see yellow in his future.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jul 14 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #7

GSM

So here to are mid-July. The first myths is about to head off, several people that have been down in a while are returning and the world is good.

Points app wise what's happening? While failures are up. it's no surprise as people try and push things a bit.
I've noticed a lack of big spells, by this I mean where people are pitching at the 15 mana + range, everything has been quite tame and simple.

As a favour, as part of the rule books if anyone has any Jade or Onyx spells passed that they wouldn't mind having published (this includes ones I've passed) if they could email they to me at lee@labyrinthe.co.uk there's a good chance you'll get your characters name on them when they come out in the grimoire.

Fromant Watch - All clear, however extra resources are being recruited as he is off on myths so who knows what will happen.

Him Watch - More tears of joy in my eyes, he's come so far. I feel it is almost time to set him free and move on to a new Him (or her)...

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jul 15 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #8

GSM

Mid-week update

As some of you are no doubt aware Duncan is off to mother myths this weekend. As he is the man with the scanner there will be a delay in getting points apps sorted during this time.

We're working out a cunning plan if we can finalise one I'll let you know what it is, but there may be a bit of a delay in apps getting back over the next couple of weekends.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jul 21 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #9

GSM

Nothing massively exciting this week I'm afraid.
A reminder of brackets. Wanting stuff from a bracket without going into it is tricky and will be expensive if possible at all.

Thank you to all the people that have sent me onyx and jade spells so far. It is making the job a lot easier.

And now something foolish (or brave) from me, and hopefully fun for you all. As I want to expand available advance spells and miracles I thought I'd do a bit of a fun competition. The best will make it to the wizards grimoire/wfa, any especially funny/ridiculous will make it to the gsm log.

So the rules:
Each person can design a single spell or miracle, just like you would a points app. Do it as an email though not an attachment. Name the spell, and feel free to use your characters name as part of it.

Email it to me at lee@labyrinthe.co.uk

Closing date is 31st July.

Lee

Fromant watch - he's on myths.

Him watch - dito.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Jul 28 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #10

GSM

I am sure everyone will be pleased to know that points apps will be returning to normal now that Duncan is not killing people on myths (with his monstering not his cooking that is).

Points app wise nothing massively exciting really. Only thing really is to remind people that I'm happy to do abilities "post race" so you don't need to squeeze everything into the race, but can instead do abilities/classes post it.

Competition is doing ok. Not many miracles in so far (2) so now is the chance to be immortalised in bad spell name.

Fromant watch - nothing changed
Him watch - Turns out he wasn't on myths. He also made me cry as he made Mungo say MAC in character.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Aug 4 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #11

GSM

So in some exciting news there is a strong chance that The Warrior, Scout, Priest and Wizard books will be at final draft by the end of this week. Neuronics is likely too.
Druids less sure, but it has some hope.

Evolution is likely to be another 2-3 weeks, sorry.

This doesn't mean there's a firm date for release yet, as there is still a lot of work to do after this.

The competitions are closed, and the winners will get their characters names in print as spells smile.gif

Diverting from points apps I'd like to ask players/monsters to call the level they are affecting at when casting things. So if you are an 8th level priest and cast a vop call 7 levels. Making it a uniform convention of calling the level something works at will make it a lot easier for people.

I have the myths items, and have gone through them once. I'm going to try and finish off bits today/tomorrow for most of them and then send them back to Huw/Julian to check they are happy. I am in no way promising they will be back for this weekend but there is a chance.

Fromant Watch - Amber alert, he has sent in points requests!

Him Watch - I am so proud! He battle boarded properly at the weekened! Time for a new him....

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Aug 11 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #12

GSM

First starting with a bit of bad news. There will probably be a delay on points apps over this week, it shouldn't be a massive one but Duncan is finally getting to play an extended length this year this weekend.

Myths items are back and as people will have seen I've included the cost of extending/making them permanent on them. This is basically because it is a lot easier to do at the time of processing the item than it is later. I'm likely to keep doing this on all extended length items going forward. As a note while it doesn't say it explicitly (I forgot to write it on) myths items do not blow up on death.

Points app things. I've had a lot of questions (relatively) about 10k gifts. The can break a system rule (two brackets etc.) but clearly there are limits on them. They are also an opportunity for a person to do something cool and get a way to expand their character more. If you use them to focus on what you currently are you will become very good at it, but eventually you'll end up with nothing to buy. So think hard when applying for and buying a 10k gift.

The books are coming along nicely. Missed finishing the wizard book last week, but did manage the Neuronic book. And with books in mind if anyone has any interesting evocations they think they'd like included in the Druid book then feel free to email them to me at lee@labyrinthe.co.uk

Fromant Wacth - All clear on new points apps front.
Him watch - Please hold while a new him is selected.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Aug 17 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #13

GSM

Hello,

So even with a 4day going on there have been two busy adult dungeons with monsters both days this weekend, which is cool.

For points app topics I thought I'd talk about multi-classes. I am a big fan of them. Putting stuff in a multi-class is a good restrictions. It shows some dedication to a path, and means you can only take one every thousand points. It won't save you points (most of the time) but may avoid annoying table issues if the abilities aren't insane.
A good cheap (4-500 points) multi-class is a good way to get a few things, a buy as, and the potential to build on it later.
As mentioned previously I am also happy with multi-classes based on races.

On other things the tales of him seem to have spread a new wave of honesty through the caves which is good.

Fromant watch - nothing. I am a bit nervous I suspect he is waiting for me to be at my weakest.

Him watch. - He's coming.....

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Aug 25 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #14

GSM

So August is almost over, and things tick along.

I've noticed that over the summer there have a been a few cases of people not dying when they should, but making sure they die in a big fight a bit later, and then saying "It's ok because I died". I'll be honest, it's not. If you die die when you die, don't cheat, don't think dying later on makes up for it. What makes this worse is it seems to be almost becoming acceptable, so lets just so no now.

So what's been cool in points app? People seem to be back applying for cool things again, which is good. Also people seem to be doing interesting things with spells and miracles which is good.

People have asked about restrictions. They don't offer a huge discount generally. Indeed some a just worth nothing. Now if people want a real restriction then that's fine, but when you look at what you're considering ask yourself is it a proper restriction.

Fromant Watch: Green

Him watch: He's here.....

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Sep 1 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #15

GSM

And so September is here already.

For those asking on book updates. Draft one of wizards finished last night. It took longer than expected as formatting spells was more drawn out than I'd hoped.
Druids book is started, and going ok. I am still hopefully for first drafts of stuff to be done by the end of this month, but who knows how life will get in the way.

So what's the score on points apps at the minute? Well after a brief flurry of trying to sneak dodgy stuff through people have calmed down again, which is good smile.gif
I'd also like to thank ref's who've been coming to me with questions on peoples abilities. It helps, and means if the same person/character comes up repeatedly then I know that I need to have a look at them.

For some advance warning there may be a slight delay in points apps over this month, not least because I'm playing a three day. Hopefully there won't be but I thought it was worth saying in case there is.

Fromant Watch: Green.

Him Watch: All told he had a good weekend. Dealt with some stress well, and kept his head. Hopefully we can reverse some irritating tendencies that set in with regarding to stats vs roleplay, but I expect a short lived him this time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Sep 8 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #16

GSM

So exciting news on books. First Drafts are being finished off. As some people saw at the weekend some of said first drafts have already been checked and are ready to move to draft 2 when I can.
I'm still not committing to a hard date, not least because they still need to be proof read, formatted, and then printed.

With this said we are looking for idea's for new tendencies, traditions, and talismans. I don't need stats for them (I'm happy to work stuff out) but concepts that people think would be playable are good. A couple of new things already included is a Talisman of the Seasons, a Temple Assassin tendency, and a legionnaire tradition. So if you have anything you think might be cool drop it over to me (use the lee@labyrinthe.co.uk address).

Despite Chris "I'm bored with the caves" Greenaway's best efforts I am still up to date with points app. So if you have sent in anything before last Wednesday and don't have it back yet please let me know as it has been eaten somewhere.
I'll again remind people that they should email points apps to pointsapp@labyrinthe.co.uk and when I print them off I'll email you back to say I've printed them. If you don't get the email then I've not had it. I don't print sheets off every day, but if it's been a week then assume I didn't get it and check.

As for exciting abilities of the week nothing much really. A couple of people falling for the stack things by levels in a class and level six ending up costing a fortune smile.gif

Fromant Watch - Status Green, for now.

Him Watch - Alas he was not down, but it seems the world in interested in him and guesses are being made.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Sep 15 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #17

GSM

Hello,

Just a reminder to everyone there is a chance of a slightly delay in points apps over the next couple of weeks as I'm off on a 3 day, as is Duncan. Hopefully there won't be, but if people send in 20 sheets on Friday then there will be smile.gif

Thanks to everyone that has sent in ideas/bits and pieces for the books. It's been very helpful and has meant there are a few idea's in the books that I wouldn't of come up with.

So hot points apps. People still seem to be going for regen power as power users. I will happily point out that the costing on it is based on how much power you regain over a 6 hour period. In a lot of cases it will be better to buy innates or more power if you have it.

Fromant Watch - All green, especially after Kev's assistance smile.gif

Him Watch - Seems he's enjoying other systems and real life a bit too much, I may have chosen badly!!!!

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Sep 23 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #18

GSM

Just a short update. Points apps from before the weekend all passed to Duncan. Obviously he has a real job and a backlog of bits so don't expect everything this minute smile.gif

Things should be all back to normal going forward now until nearer Christmas, and proper gsm log next week for people.
Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Sep 29 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #19

GSM

Hello,

So all things back to normal now, at least until closer to Christmas.

Points app wise it seems a few people are going for the overloading classes again which is pushing up the cost. This is especially true of power per level classes. I'd suggest that people think if they can split a class into two separate classes. Doing this helps keep the points cost down and means that you can actually finish them, and feel an achievement of buying levels. If you want it all in one class, maybe think about doing less power with a increase from X/level to Y/Level post 6th.

I've also noticed that a there has been an increase in taking characters in a specific direction that limits what they can do in the long run. If you are happy reaching the end of a characters progression sooner this is a good way to go. If you want to be able to play on for as long as you like then such restrictions make it a little trickier for you.

Him Watch: All going well, doing nicely smile.gif His involvement in Saturday brightened my day.
Fromant Watch: Nothing major to report here. Will see how we do after this upcoming weekend though.

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonof
post Oct 6 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #20

GSM

Hello again,

Not much to update on points app wise really. Everything is happily running stable and ticking along. I'm not expecting any further delays/problems with them until around Christmas.

On not points app topics I did find reffing Saturday that people are becoming more accepting of 11 o'clock being the normal start time. I'd like to avoid it becoming this way. I don't think it's impossible for dungeons to be ready to start the brief for 10ish (OK If Craigy makes you drink enough you forget what happened it might be) normally. It means people get a good full day of fun, there's more time to set interesting encounters beyond just 24/8 doing quad.

Him update: Alas once more he was absent from the caves.

Fromant Watch: Amber alert!!! He played and although nothing obvious happened I fear for Armoured Priests across the world, they may have to be clarified tongue.gif

Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:48 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins