IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Investigations into the Grey Tug and Primal Sunlight Cathedral - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Investigations into the Grey Tug and Primal Sunlight Cathedral, Brief for Episode 3
ethuil
post Apr 25 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Plot Dump NPC

Group: Members
Member No.: 495

As we have finally re-established ourselves here at the Waystation, I think it about time that we send out another muster. I have arranged for funding for a group to travel this Starsday - as always, please meet at the Waystation at the traditional hour. To reiterate the previous intention, you will be travelling on this occasion to the ruins of the Primal Sunlight Cathedral, and then to the Grey Tug.

Whilst you are here, I would like your expertise in investigating a note that appeared next to the map last night. None of the guards saw anyone enter - it was simply there when I arrived this morning to resume studying the map. We have attempted some basic scrying but to no avail. I can of course show you the note when you arrive, but for now here is a transcript of its contents. I have translated it from the original mana glyphs and thus retained the lack of capitalisation as scribed.

myron forces peace
the feral plague
reuniting of the shattered isles

protect the spear

I am certain it is not difficult to guess the link between this note and the map, but I am hesitant to begin attempting anything without knowing more - and without yourselves here to deal with any consequences.

I look forward to seeing you on Starsday.

Inquisitor Wilton

--------------------
- Rebecca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Christine
post Apr 25 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Legend

Member No.: 110

Inquisitor Wilton

If as I think likely these are historical instances, they would provide dates enabling the map to be used. Anacrites made more of a study of the map than I did, he will no doubt know more.

"myron forces peace" could be 811, the talks instituted by Myron which lead up to the later 812 Mimram Treaty.

"the feral plague" was a series of outbreaks of insanity in the western provinces in 427.

The shattered isles reference escapes me, which might make it considerably more modern.

As to "protect the spear", the Chosen Achramas was the Spear of the Reaver Lord but is no longer, the physical spear itself having been destroyed. We discovered a spear left behind (I think by Achramas) when we first travelled to Port Miere, which Nym had, but we didn't believe that to be significant at the time.

Does the note appear especially old?

Liara

+Quote Post
ethuil
post Apr 25 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Plot Dump NPC

The note is not old, no. The paper is of good quality and appears to have been scribed at least relatively recently. We cannot find any power in it, but that is the extent to which we have been able to scry successfully.

Inquisitor Wilton

--------------------
- Rebecca

+Quote Post
Christine
post Apr 25 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Legend

Thank you.

I think, although I am not so certain on recent history, that the reunification of the Shattered Isles (Eruldine) was in 1011. Which goes to show this weekend's drinking was not wasted and in fact useful service to the Empire.

There is a gap of a line and the map required 4 dates, did it not?

Liara

+Quote Post
ethuil
post Apr 25 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #5

Plot Dump NPC

There are three dials for numbers and one that denotes the location of the event. Each dial goes from 1-12.

This does of course mean that certain dates can be excluded: it would not be possible to enter anything from the years 1-99, nor to enter a year such as 850 - there is no option for a zero beyond using the 10 on the first dial, and all of the dials must be used.

Inquisitor Wilton

--------------------
- Rebecca

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Apr 25 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #6

Legend

Member No.: 52

So i iz gonna come and help likez i did at da dawn.

Trustin dat da color of youz grulls iz gud fa dis.

Ifz i woz helpin in da footur i sayz doo da demonz at da gate.

Zaton.

--------------------
Gordon Court
Port Miere business: portmierecitycouncil@gmail.com
Known to play: Amorphus, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2009: Amorphus, Ash, Cyric, Godstone, Kessel, Prowl, Mithaniel, Radiant, Raven, Strale, Void & Vorell
Cast of 2010: Amorphus, Aqueous, Blaen, Godstone, Hex, Kessel, Mithaniel, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Vanderlaine & Void
Cast of 2011: Cyric, Hex & Prowl
Cast of 2012: Kessel
Cast of 2013: Amorphus, Golgari, Kessel, Marimar, Radiant, Strale & "Terry"
Cast of 2014: Amorphus, Hex, Godstone, Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Radiant & Strale
Cast of 2015: Amorphus, Karador, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2016: Zaton
Cast of 2017: Amorphus, Equinox, Godstone, Golgari, Hex, Karador, Prowl, Radiant, Variel & Zaton
Cast of 2018: Amorphus, Despair, Equinox, Golgari, Karador, Lannary, Prowl, Templeton, Vanderlaine, Void & Zaton
Cast of 2019: Amorphus, Despair, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Prowl, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2020: Amorphus, Isamaru, Karador, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2021: Amorphus, Grizzled Wolf, Isamaru, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2022: Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Lannary, Leovold, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Strale, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2023: Isamaru, Leovold, Numai, Radiant & Zaton

+Quote Post
dnsmantra
post Apr 27 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 111

Liara (or Inquisitor Wilton), are there any important things those of us who haven't been to Miere in a while might need to be aware of, or any particularly useful skills, powers or the like, which have come in handy before?

I have the capability to remember all sorts of things those of our fallen brethren might once have known how to do, or help Morgan remember things he once knew by heart, but am unsure what if anything would be of most use.

If nothing comes to mind, I intend to converse with the memories of Aleria, a potent warding priest, and soldier under Throttle during the time of Catten Vale, and the memories of Locqutus, a diviner and occultist, cartographer, map-maker and soldier of the hound who fought with the host of the Torn Legion during the demise of the Princedoms; a great planner and tactician who could see through lies and deception with ease.

Dusk
(and Morgan)

+Quote Post
Christine
post Apr 27 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Legend

Dusk

I'd recommend if you haven't already reading the two reports I have left in these chambers, although I'm afraid they tend to verbosity, the notes from Achramas and the update from Inquisitor Wilton after our last trip to Miere regarding the attack on the waystation. I'll re-read them myself and see if anything springs to mind.

There is some suggestion that scrying is being twisted, although curiously the deceptive scrying has thus far been accurate. Certizal is involved, and is known to deceive scrying, likewise I think Achramas is shielded, as is Louhi.

We have encountered powerful corrupted angels in Certizal's service which can only be slain (or harmed at all, in the case of those fought over the Dawn) by evil spirits. I am not suggestion that you should try and gain access to such, however you asked the question. Last time there was a suggestion that unholy water might assist as they were angels, and I believe scrying confirmed that this would work, likewise controlling undead to attack them; however in the event they were thrown over an evil spiritual ward of their own creation, which was extremely satisfying. Wards in general have proved very useful, the Bar Spirit miracle saved us considerable pain last time around.

Liara

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Apr 27 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Legend

I woz able to killz da angles of Certizal at da Dawn, reckons I shud b gud for sum more.

Zaton.

--------------------
Gordon Court
Cast of 2009: Amorphus, Ash, Cyric, Godstone, Kessel, Prowl, Mithaniel, Radiant, Raven, Strale, Void & Vorell
Cast of 2010: Amorphus, Aqueous, Blaen, Godstone, Hex, Kessel, Mithaniel, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Vanderlaine & Void
Cast of 2017: Amorphus, Equinox, Godstone, Golgari, Hex, Karador, Prowl, Radiant, Variel & Zaton
Cast of 2018: Amorphus, Despair, Equinox, Golgari, Karador, Lannary, Prowl, Templeton, Vanderlaine, Void & Zaton
Cast of 2020: Amorphus, Isamaru, Karador, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2021: Amorphus, Grizzled Wolf, Isamaru, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2022: Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Lannary, Leovold, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Strale, Wrynn & Zaton

+Quote Post
ethuil
post Apr 28 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #10

Plot Dump NPC

There is little that I can add that has not already been noted. I would mention that during the continued attacks on the Waystation (which have been increasingly less frequent), we have not at any point been assaulted by these angels - only masked and cowled men and women. Occasionally they have required powers to kill them, but only in the simplest sense; a little magical or spiritual power to finish them off.

Master Zaton, I have a hiring license from the Lord Inquisitor that you are welcome to examine if you wish to verify the 'colour of my grulls', as you put it.

Inquisitor Wilton

--------------------
- Rebecca

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Apr 28 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #11

Legend

QUOTE(ethuil @ Apr 28 2017, 09:41 AM) *
There is little that I can add that has not already been noted. I would mention that during the continued attacks on the Waystation (which have been increasingly less frequent), we have not at any point been assaulted by these angels - only masked and cowled men and women. Occasionally they have required powers to kill them, but only in the simplest sense; a little magical or spiritual power to finish them off.

Master Zaton, I have a hiring license from the Lord Inquisitor that you are welcome to examine if you wish to verify the 'colour of my grulls', as you put it.

Inquisitor Wilton

I meanz three pink or one orange or if you is feelin real nice a yellow.

Zaton.

--------------------
Gordon Court

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Apr 28 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Hero

Member No.: 112

I'm happy to cast the lucky idea spell repeatedly today if anybody has anything they would like to be 'inspired' about.

Did we decide what that odd note was all about?

Quethbert

+Quote Post
dnsmantra
post Apr 28 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #13

All very helpful.

In which case, I will seek Aleria's aid in writing a scripture of the Bar Spirit miracle, and ask Locqutus how one might learn to understand if scrying is being deceived. I have no capability for dark spiritual power myself and as a mage, neither does Morgan. I can control undead however, albeit in a somewhat limited fashion.

Dusk

+Quote Post
Christine
post Apr 28 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #14

Legend

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ Apr 28 2017, 11:09 AM) *
I'm happy to cast the lucky idea spell repeatedly today if anybody has anything they would like to be 'inspired' about.

Did we decide what that odd note was all about?

Quethbert

I am fairly certain the note provides dates needed to operate the Port Miere map. I have identified what I believe those dates to be (811/427/1011), I can't do any more until I can get to the map, and even then we may need to scry a little if Anacrites isn't present, as he did the scrying before.

I would like to look at the original note, and I have some concerns about blithely transporting to a location provided by persons unknown. As far as we are aware our allies in the City are the Watch, who would have signed any note and do not know about the map, and the Chosen of the Alfari (bar Louhi). Achramas knows about the map and has studied it, but would likely give some sort of clue that she had sent the note, and in any event previously wrote in common rather than glyphs. The last line "protect the spear" could be a reference to Achramas, but she is well able to take care of herself. I suspect it is more likely to be something at that location, a person or an object, and will make more sense when (if) we travel there.

I will get to the waystation as early as I can to start looking at the map, I'd suggest people take some care as we know it has been attacked by servants of Louhi, who is the Chosen alfari in service to Certizal, killed over the Dawn and then brought back by Achramas in the mistaken belief that he was no longer still in service to Certizal. Which is to say if anyone would like to arrive in sufficient time that I am not sitting there alone waiting to be murdered by Louhi's equivalent of crab-apes, in a manner horribly reminiscent of the Torsland Dales, they should feel free.

Liara

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Apr 28 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #15

Hero

Your wish is my command, I shall see if the silver drake feels like providing some insight about the note.

Although I will caveat it by saying that I have no way of telling if I am being deceived!

Quethbert

+Quote Post
Christine
post Apr 28 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #16

Legend

Inquisitor Wilton has already tried some scrying about the note, but you might have more luck.

Failing that any ideas about things we might need to bring with us would be good, especially if you can find that out tonight so we have a chance to panic and try and source them. I'm hoping that some enquiries I've made will result in us having some things available to help with any consecration or purification of the Cathedral, just in case that comes up.

Liara

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Apr 28 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #17

Hero

I have of course asked for some general advice on things we may have forgotten/may need.

My current master has a limited memory span so it is necessary form of scrying every time we leave the house.

Q

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Apr 28 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #18

Hero

The silver drake has returned with a moderate bounty of knowledge for one and all.

There was no further information about the note but on a more important subject: things that might be relevant to my continuing survival, the response was that it might be potentially very dangerous to leave deci (although I'm slightly confused as to this as I thought we were off to port mere again) and running out of time!

Also having spells which burn things would be favourable, luckily I know the flame blade incantation.

Make of this what you will!

Q

+Quote Post
Christine
post Apr 30 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #19

Legend

Inquisitor Wilton and other interested parties

I’ve written a report of what we discovered yesterday in Port Miere, while it is still fresh in my mind and sleep being an overrated commodity. If there are errors, please do point them out.

In broad terms we were successful, and resolved the anomalies at the Cathedral of Primal Sunlight and the Grey Tug. We also worked out some of the meaning of the note, although its provenance remains unknown.

Dealing with the note first, the numbers and uses were confirmed as follows : -

“myron forces peace” – 811 – this will produce an effect similar to a Haven spell, but divine in nature, at the site of one of the anomalies. The number on the 4th dial corresponding to Myron would need to be used. We have not yet used this setting.

the feral plague” – 427 – this offers a degree of respite to the inhabitants of Port Miere from the encroaching madness caused by continued exposure to the ‘Nacht. The number 5 of the 4th dial, corresponding to Empire Central, would need to be used – in general when a historical event covered multiple locations, the main location is used. We have used this setting and hopefully this will assist those in the city.

“reuniting of the shattered isles” 1011 – this setting will manipulate the anomalies, reducing the severity of one (for our purposes, making it less dangerous to resolve), and increasing the threat of another. The number on the 4th dial corresponding to the Shattered Isles would need to be used. We are way of using this setting save when there is no other sensible option, because of the consequences to those near the anomaly made more severe.[i]

“protect the spear” –
we are still no nearer on this. Achramas has confirmed that she did not write the note, does not know who did, and although she was known as the Spear of the Reaver Lord, is so no longer. There is little we can do at present unless anyone has some hitherto unrevealed talent for scrying – it may be a person, an actual spear, or either of those within an anomaly we have not yet investigated - we simply do not know. Dusk got some rather irritable response to his scrying on this to suggest it was obvious, although if I remember correctly that was being interfered with in some way.[/i]

Turning to our trip to Miere itself, after being attacked by the servants of Louhi at the waystation, we set the dial to the feral plague, and then went into the city proper.

The Catherdral appeared whole, and the anomaly centred around an attempt in IM113 by the then Stadtus, Mordenkainen, to have it torn down as part of city austerity measures (and it would appear owing to some dispute between himself and the Lord Inquisitor who had established the structure). Paperwork to temporarily grant an extension of funds was held by a Redaip priest and needed to be completed in triplicate, allowing enough time to venture further into the building and recover the forms required to permanently grant funds. In the ancient and noble tradition of mercenaries hiding announcements about leaving their guilds in privies around the Empire, these forms had been hidden and warded such that whilst technically the required paperwork was available to any wishing to save the Cathedral, in practice it was exceedingly difficult to acquire. Completing the temporary forms allowed a certain amount of time before the Cathedral collapsed and then the anomaly re-established and it was whole again.

After an initial couple of attempts we divided our group, some of us completing the temporary forms whilst those more skilled at avoiding the golems, sprites and wards went ahead and recovered the three permanent forms. Once these were completed the anomaly resolved and the Cathedral was as it had been, a deconsecrated ruin. It was not possible to re-sanctify it, nor would it be without considerable rebuilding effort to reach the altar under the weight of broken glass. Realistically I cannot see this being done until the city is returned, when it is then a matter for the Lord Inquisitor and the Governor.

We then travelled to the Grey Tug, which was guarded by members of the watch set there to ensure members of the public did not wander in and come to harm. We were able to convince them to let us in. There were 4 anomalies at the Grey Tug, which we dealt with in turn as we progressed. The first corresponded to the siege of Mordred’s Rest, having been manifest from the entropy drawn down the spindle at the Rest to the Grey Tug. It will be recalled that a number of the spindles were destroyed by the alfari Chosen Ilmatar, Louhi, Tapio and Mielikki when they were in service to Salas / Certizal over the Dawn. The entropy manifested as those forces fought during the siege – silver folk, green skinned demons, and athfanel. At the location where a great many people had been rotted away by the entropy was a powerful entropic beast, which became stronger every time it was defeated until the anchor was destroyed – we were able to contain it in a Bar Spirit, whilst we searched for the anchor. This was a powerful sorcerer, I believe an echo of one fought during the siege. He was defeated by being attacked with every colour of magic (in an exciting use of a handy artefact by Morgan) and then slain with magic weapons. With the anchor destroyed the anomaly resolved.

The second anomaly centred around the speaking of an unholy word of power (possibly one from the book held by Tyler Wrath which was recovered over the Dawn?) in Deci, which rite compelled the populace to willingly serve the Empire. The locals were disturbingly keen to see obvious members of the legions and nobility, which was rather disconcerting, and the rite was slowly becoming more noticeable the longer we remained with this part of the Tug. When we found the centre of the rite, it was broken by someone who could not be controlled speaking the word of power after weakening the surrounding foci, although this had the effect of making the locals (all echoes rather than real people) extremely hostile to the Empire as they realised what had been done, and several then attacked us.

Moving further through the Tug felt, according to Morgan, physically both in Port Miere and just outside it on the coast. We found ‘mantic undead named “Echoes of the Fallen”, created from the bodies of common folk, with the suffix. These were echoes rather than the souls themselves, and sought to drain power from those they fought. Beyond them we found shades and a member of the alfari reavers, who had been caused by exposure to entropy to lose all memory of who he was. He was sent back to the other alfari after it was determined that being around his own people and familiar surroundings would slowly cause him to remember. As we continued we fought a more powerful version of the previously encountered undead, a 7th rank “Scion of the Fallen”, a 7th which

Beyond these we found an extremely bright spirit which was tangled in threads of dark magic and spirits – this was at odds with the other entropic manifestations and seemed to have no link to the anomalies. Dusk spoke with the entity, which appeared child-like and simplistic and spoke of the Empress as its mother – we considered briefly whether it might be a place spirit or similar. It had come to the tug because of the corruption there, in an attempt to cleanse it, but been unable to do so. By gathering up and removing the corruption we were able to free the spirit, which knit itself back together and then vanished. We heard a voice saying something like “Thea, Thea, its time to wake up” as it faded. This was unconnected to the Port Miere situation but is interesting in general and merits further investigation if someone has the scrying resources to do so. Dusk has the gathered darkness which was trying to corrupt anyone holding it, which needs to be resolved. I can suggest the angel Purlain of the faith of the Stars as an entity I am aware has some influence, but others may have better suggestions.

We then were assailed by druidic creatures of earth, with light and darkness running through the cracks in their bodies. They were a fine example of why druids are often unpopular (an unhealthy attachment to the wall of thorns and call lightning evocations) and we smashed them to bits.

Beyond this, in the centre of the Tug (underneath the large horn), we met a force of alfari, with the Chosen Mielikki and Achramas. They were studying the central anchor of the Tug anomaly, which was where the Inquisitor charged with operating the Tug, Aloth, had been killed in a fairly unpleasant way after being forced to use its powers. It contained 4 objects – Aloth’s Inquisitional sash, a necklace given to Aloth as a token of love, his Mittlesmith’s dagger and his tortured and severed hand.

Achramas had been unable to make much sense of it, but we did discuss the note and things remained amicable. She explained that she believed the force preventing her people from leaving Port Miere was a net of power, which was containing both the Reavers and the entropy and power in the city. We discussed how this was entirely possibly the Netter, an entity to which shrines had been built in the coastal cities and which had assisted in thwarting the worst effects of Salas’ Rite of the Ocean’s Claim. It remains my view that we would be best placed to seek to deal with as many of the anomalies as possible, including Salas’ ritual chamber, and then seek to remove the net, possibly whilst resolving the Shrine of the Netter which is one of the anomalies. If anyone is in a position to provide further information on the Netter (perhaps speaking to those mercenaries who made the bargain to create the shrines), that would be helpful.

Achramas and Mielikki then left with the other alfari whilst we attempted to undo the anolmaly.

The manner of Aloth’s torture and death had been so traumatic as to twist his spirit into an undead, surrounded by four shells of memories liked to the four objects. To reach him and lay him to rest, resolving the anomaly, we had to interact in different ways with each object, triggering the memory and then resolve the conflict and interact with the object again (Quethbert dealt with this scrying but they were things like magically empowering the dagger and then destroying the magic upon it, or healing the severed hand).

The objects were resolved in the order dagger / sash / necklace / hand. The dagger summoned a death knight, which was unexpected and needed to be restored to life in the usual way, the sash some Inquisitional guards who were undead but not evil, and had to be destroyed by either breaking the power compelling them to be there or speaking their true name whilst striking them – when destroyed their physical forms remained and their souls could be laid to rest, which was done. The necklace summoned the undead form of Eder, the Blade or Sword of the Reaver Lord, the reaver tasked by Salas / Certizal (through Asa Volki and thus the Chosen) with causing the Tug to be operated.

The hand then shifted the Tug into the final part of the old anomaly, which contained further undead and the undead spirit of Aloth, who retained many of the magical powers he had owned in life. He was a goodly soul and did not want to attack us but expressed that he had no choice to do otherwise. To destroy him he had to be fought to the point of death, then struck by four persons holding positions within the Empire, before being told by one of us how we had witnessed the death of someone we loved (which Arnold was able to do). Finally he was struck by someone who had betrayed the Empire in some way, which situation Quethbert engineered, somewhat to Arnold’s detriment but in no seriously harmful way. This destroyed Aloth’s undead form and I believe his spirit has now passed on; in so doing the final anomaly was resolved.

That concluded our outing to Port Miere, with the total result of the resolution of anomalies 18-22. Thank you to all involved. If Inquisitor Wilton could amend the list accordingly it would be appreciated, and we can give some thought to which to tackle next.

Liara

+Quote Post
dnsmantra
post Apr 30 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #20

When scrying about the spear the response from whatever chose to answer was simply "Do what it says you idiot", which sadly provides little to no insight, other than someone thinks we know more than we do (or that we really are missing something glaringly obvious).

Dusk

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:13 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins