> Halfling MR Query
Benjos75
post Oct 31 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488

Hi all,

I’m soon to start a Halfling Pathfinder, having looked at standard published races nothing really fits.

I wondered if there is any guidance or previous MR submitted by yellow paper for some inspiration (I’m pretty [----] at such things!)

Looking for things which naturally progress their defined background and current racial benefits of DAC, less effect from damaging magic and perhaps other stereotypical traits often associated with their race, e.g. immunity to fear, resistant to magic, dextrous etc...

I appreciate that most of the above is all purchasable from the tables anyways. As an alternative is there some game mechanism to sacrifice the MR slot for some other gain/benefit?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nibs
post Nov 1 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Militiaman

Member No.: 388

Sacrificing the MR slot (or MC, guild(s), or path slots) generally gets you a discount on what would otherwise be a very expensive ability. The type of slot and the you class plays into how big a discount. A bracket locked warrior wouldn't get much discount for sacrificing his path slot.

--------------------
Nibs
Plays:
[REDACTED] Tarkin (Black Seer)
Tubbs (2300pts Border Friar)
Shugoki (250pts Amlesian ogre magi warrior of the jewel)

+Quote Post
atem55
post Nov 1 2019, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Levy

Member No.: 4,528

You have the option of forgoing your MR and getting Scion of Primus for cheap resistance levels, and could build on that.

Have you looked at things like elder fey and child of the pines for ideas on what you could do in a non-standard MR, possibly some sub-race of halfling. I know Sean has a entling MR and my druid has a ent MR.

From my, albeit limited, experience a MR is useful to plug any gaps you might have in your resistances and you only get the one and if you are looking at a non-standard you have to be 1k+ anyway so have bit of time to see where you might be lacking.

Carl

--------------------
Carl

Mostly:
Cathbad Dannan - Arch Druid / Spirit Warrior
Trellis D'Terne - Warrior Priest of The Lady of the Stars
Rain - Stormvale Armoured Priest of Shaehan
Slate - Orc Psi Master

+Quote Post
Netheril
post Nov 1 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #4

Heldsman

Member No.: 2,516

QUOTE(atem55 @ Nov 1 2019, 09:30 AM) *
I know Sean has a entling MR and my druid has a ent MR.

Carl

Mine is quite character specific, as it's for a knife thrower. But basic focus is Entling, becomes immune to baneful flesh and blood (so can still eat and drink), gradually loses spirit, gains extra healing from EP, gains extra life and damage reductions versus anything with a non physical component. Other stuff is throwing dagger related, and a strong lvl 6 that is 1k by itself. Total cost for the MR is 3k, but I like a MR that is the foundation for the character. Doubt Jimmy will ever get there this incarnation anyway but still been good fun from the earlier levels.

Happy to share a pic if want an idea of how it's broken down.

Cheers,

Sean

+Quote Post
DavidFisher
post Nov 1 2019, 09:57 AM
Post #5

Legend

Member No.: 446

Immune to non-beneficial F&B / things that you eat or drink is a good one for Halflings

A clan or type of Halfling might be good as a theme.

Something around being lucky - so a blow that hits that really missed, a spell fails to be cast properly, a certain death event is somehow mysteriously avoided

I have loads of characters with quirky little MRs. Allows you to spend points on other things - so in the 500-600 points range.

I would consider:

Leprechaun
L1 - Lucky stage 1
1/day happens to be moving in just the right way so that blow glances off me rather than lands properly. Gains a damage reduction such that all damage is 1/6th. This applies to the grade and any associated effect (so a quad shock would do 4 points of physical and 2 points of magical fire damage) ( , )

L2 - Always feasting
Gains immunity to non-beneficial F&B. Anything I ingest is at +33%

L3
A pot of gold
Starts the day with my choice of 1000 grulls of published potions (full perm cost), 10 power in scrolls of standard spells or 10 ISP of items (dungeon temp, obvious to any merchant that they hold no value). I may increase the daily boon for ______ points on T3,6,9 and 12. This adds another 1000 grulls or 10 power or 10 ISP (may mix and match). ISP can't be grulls or 1 shot temp items but real / proper costs. No funny business

L4
Even more Luck
I trip up at just the right time. This may seem unlucky but isn't. I take a trip (that I can't avoid) but 1 ranged attack (spell, miracle, arrow or whatever) sails over my head missing me. ( , )

L5
Leprechaun's curse
If anyone steals anything from me or kills me, they suffer a terrible curse. This manifests in very bad luck - they roll into blows, take spells in the face and generally fall foul or all manner of danger. In game terms, they lose all AC, all WMs / Backstabs, any power from them or any of their equipment takes 10 seconds concentration to activate (plus the verbal). This curse is a non-standard curse or a dying effect (depending on what caused it to activate). It is or whatever powerbase is most difficult for the victim to avoid.

L6
Luckiest Leprechaun
It is often said it is better to be lucky than good. My luck now keeps me out of some of the worst trouble. This menifests as I am always find a safe way home. An unseen passage, a planar portal, a crack in the defences etc. This takes 15 mins of searching and once used, I may not return to the adventure that day. It is as per a word of recall (in that it can't be stopped)

Just off the top of my head. Needs some refining

David

+Quote Post
Benjos75
post Nov 1 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Apprentice

Cheers for the feedback folks. Think I'll see what other folks have submitted for Halfling MR or forgo it and ask nearer the time for some alternative options!

+Quote Post
Benjos75
post Nov 3 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Apprentice

Sean and David, sorry chaps i didn't see your responses until someone pointed it out whilst monstering today. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me with this, really useful ideas for me to work on over the coming month...thanks again!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 04:29 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins