Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirit Warriors - the wookie defence of Primus
Onasuma
post Apr 6 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 242

Id love to just say yes and leave it at that, but clearly everyone else would disagree. Way I see it, its about 150 points of multiclass and give you everything you need to be a warrior for a fraction of the normal cost while keeping you bracket pure. Id say a MC slot is worth it. Sure the base class isnt amazing, but there is stuff in every bracket that is worse than the rest. Spirit warriors are just the priest brackets budokas.

Peter Long
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Apr 6 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #22

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

QUOTE(Onasuma @ Apr 6 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Id love to just say yes and leave it at that, but clearly everyone else would disagree. Way I see it, its about 150 points of multiclass and give you everything you need to be a warrior for a fraction of the normal cost while keeping you bracket pure. Id say a MC slot is worth it. Sure the base class isnt amazing, but there is stuff in every bracket that is worse than the rest. Spirit warriors are just the priest brackets budokas.

Peter Long

I'd love to say that you're wrong and leave it at that but instead I'm going to say that Budokas, who have pretty decent 1st-8th stats and buy as Monk+Warrior are actually really, really hard.

J

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
ChrisAndrews
post Apr 6 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #23

Tiffer

Member No.: 34

And Lee Dale played a Rovfgr to 1000pts without spending anything and without dying...

Chris

+Quote Post
Rob
post Apr 6 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #24

Legend

Member No.: 115

QUOTE(Onasuma @ Apr 6 2011, 09:28 PM) *

Peter Long

Budoka are really really really tough..... One of the most imbalanced classes - fore arm and leg parry with no item restriction.... uber!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SiDeards
post Apr 6 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #25

Mercenary

Member No.: 608

Spirit Warriors are still PAP standardly in their current form though, despite Budoka's being imba smile.gif

Si

+Quote Post
giles
post Apr 7 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #26

Legend

Member No.: 68

Problem solved - change rules so that Budokas can only MC Spirit Warrior & Spirit Warriors can MC Budoka for cheap.
2 birds, 1 stone.

Easy.

Giles.

+Quote Post
MarkCox
post Apr 7 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #27

Legend

Member No.: 69

I think Spiritual Warriors are fine
I played one under the old abilities to 6k - and was uber hard -

Also think at lower levels the difference between Spiritual Warriors and straight Warriors is fairly large - in the SW favour. The priestly discerns are great as is the ability to read scrolls / utilise spirit items.

There are loads of things you can do with them these days is not being a Spiritual Warrior / Warrior really - take Defender of the Faith buy your warrior abilities and then go into another bracket Scout maybe, if your an alfar or gythanki there is another bracket there as well. You can path as well is your that way inclined.
Job done - a very good mercenary -

--------------------
Skywest and Crooked

+Quote Post
Stuart
post Apr 7 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #28

Legend

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(MarkCox @ Apr 7 2011, 08:09 AM) *
- take Defender of the Faith buy your warrior abilities and then go into another bracket Scout maybe,

I always presumed you couldn't do that. Shows what I know. On that basis I feel a lot less worried about playing a grey knight, buying a solid base of spiritual abilities and then going elder fae. I presume yoiu'd lose half your original innates though.

QUOTE(ChrisAndrews @ Apr 6 2011, 11:19 PM) *
And Lee Dale played a Rovfgr to 1000pts without spending anything and without dying...

Chris

I'm sure I got him once on the Mourat stuff.

Stuart

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Apr 7 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #29

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

QUOTE(ChrisAndrews @ Apr 6 2011, 11:19 PM) *

I played one to 600pts or so without dying and would've played it further if I hadn't lost the card. Rovfugr are slightly tougher than Budokas imho - the not running away thing isn't really a restriction if you don't plan to run away anyway.

J

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
post Apr 7 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #30

Group:
Member No.: 0

QUOTE(MarkCox @ Apr 7 2011, 07:09 AM) *
I think Spiritual Warriors are fine
I played one under the old abilities to 6k - and was uber hard -

Also think at lower levels the difference between Spiritual Warriors and straight Warriors is fairly large - in the SW favour. The priestly discerns are great as is the ability to read scrolls / utilise spirit items.

I played one to 5250 - it was OK, but I felt terribly inadequate next to other characters of equivalent level who were somehow better priests and better at fighting - they were called paladins.

Nerf the paladinoids...

Lucy

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 7 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #31

Viper

Member No.: 36

I don't think spirit warriors are really that bad.

They are certainly an excellent 2nd class - for a scout or a warrior it is a great way to get use spirit item, scrolls, discerns and decent elols (plus max ac for the scout), for a priest they are good way to get a bit tougher without entering the warrior bracket.

I'd say leave them alone.

If you must tinker, please don't put them into the warrior bracket as a base class - that would mess up no end of characters, between people who chose spirit warrior as a base class so they could m/c into another non-warrior bracket, priests who m/c sp. warrrior because they want to stay bracket pure & scouts or druids who m/c to it and will suddenly be in in 3 brackets and need do a lot of respending.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jwiffen @ cisco.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
DanM
post Apr 7 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #32

Post Police

Member No.: 38

Its all more "why should paladins etc have a better innate buy as than a priest class"

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
MarkCox
post Apr 7 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #33

Legend

Member No.: 69

+1 What Julian said

--------------------
Skywest and Crooked

+Quote Post
sonof
post Apr 7 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #34

GSM

Member No.: 54

I feel so dirty!!! I think Dan might be right. it's not spirit warriros being bad, but paladins/ap/GK being to good at spiritual stuff.

Lee

--------------------
Please send points apps to: pointsapp@labyrinthe.co.uk

And send system questions etc. to: Lee@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
miles
post Apr 7 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #35

Hero

Member No.: 142

QUOTE(sonof @ Apr 7 2011, 12:34 PM) *
I feel so dirty!!! I think Dan might be right. it's not spirit warriros being bad, but paladins/ap/GK being to good at spiritual stuff.

Lee

You know the rules, you never admit Dan is right.

miles

--------------------
The game is not always about balance

+Quote Post
aaaarrrggh
post Apr 7 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #36

Heldsman

Member No.: 91

How about if you don't think they are any good you just don't play them. It's not like the rules are shrouded in secrecy and you only get to see your options once you've started the character is it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DavidFisher
post Apr 8 2011, 08:18 AM
Post #37

Legend

Member No.: 446

Agree with Henry.
I do not think Paladins are over powered, referees underplay their restrictions
Post 1500, they start to loose their edge anyway
David

+Quote Post
BBB
post Apr 8 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 25

UC's and GK's have a low level golden zone (It appears that Paladins have the same issue but I've not played one to any degree*)

My answer to both those problems was for my AP to have various pts apps that limit his progression and keep him in his golden zone.

For my Grey Knight I've gone the Pure Warrior bracket route, although that's yet to kick in to the place where he's hard. (probably down to spending too many points on making stuff! : rolleyes.gif) )

They do have an outrageous spiritual buy as, no two ways about it. Spirit Warrior Buy as still needs a little buff but Spirit Warriors are Bracket pure (I'm still in favour of Spirit Warriors being 0 Spirits per level 1st Class Priests and can use sharp weapons / magic items so long as they have no free spirits).

I've found that the dual bracket thing for UC/GK/Paladins if they want to expand their spiritual power is pretty restrictive.

BBB

*That's Carlo's fault that is...

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
giles
post Apr 8 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #39

Legend

Member No.: 68

QUOTE(aaaarrrggh @ Apr 7 2011, 07:41 PM) *
How about if you don't think they are any good you just don't play them. It's not like the rules are shrouded in secrecy and you only get to see your options once you've started the character is it.

I agree with Henry, all characters should be shrouded in secrecy and you should only get to see your options once you've started them. Brilliant.

Giles.

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 8 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #40

Viper

Member No.: 36

QUOTE(giles @ Apr 8 2011, 07:46 PM) *
I agree with Henry, all characters should be shrouded in secrecy and you should only get to see your options once you've started them. Brilliant.

Giles.

Go play Fools & Heroes then.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jwiffen @ cisco.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 03:13 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins