IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
10htk..... - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 10htk....., 60 life?
post Apr 5 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

ok so one Hit To Kill is 6pts of tblp, correct?

i ask because it may become relevant to me, due to something which i may be able to cast and es gain benefit from......

Is 10htk worth 60 life?

please discuss, cheers for any comments

PH
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jan
post Apr 5 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Bridgewarden

Group: Members
Member No.: 238

QUOTE(petehouse @ Apr 5 2008, 06:47 PM) *
ok so one Hit To Kill is 6pts of tblp, correct?

i ask because it may become relevant to me, due to something which i may be able to cast and es gain benefit from......

Is 10htk worth 60 life?

please discuss, cheers for any comments

PH

Aieeeeeee! Noooooo, what have you done!!!!

*panics looking around for Pants/Rob S/Lee Dale *

--------------------
Jan McManus

+Quote Post
Stuart
post Apr 5 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #3

Legend

Member No.: 39

It depends.

You can either go for the long style of statting where 3 TBLP = 1 HTK, or the quicker style where 6TBLP = 1 HTK.

I know Lee Dale is a proponent of the 6:1 ratio. Personally, if I set a warrior with 30/10 HTK, that equates to someone in 90 life, not 180 life as far as I'm concerned.

Big parts I always try to set with life so it's fairer on the players - things fall over when they should.

Stuart

+Quote Post
post Apr 5 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Group:

I'd run with Stuart on this one, 3TBLP= 1HTK when statting.

+Quote Post
ChrisAndrews
post Apr 5 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #5

Tiffer

Member No.: 34

I believe Pete is more interested not for statting an adventure, but for the purposes of using effects that normally grant additional HTK to monsters and the use of such an effect on a player.

I'd say it would give you +30TBLP, using the logic that Lightning Bolt does a monster 8 hits and a player 24 TBLP.

I also say this cos I'm pretty certain I know what effect you're talking about, and know that it's cheaper than the "standard" way of getting temp life so it shouldn't really give you more smile.gif

Chris

+Quote Post
Rob
post Apr 6 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Legend

Member No.: 115

QUOTE(ChrisAndrews @ Apr 5 2008, 09:09 PM) *
I believe Pete is more interested not for statting an adventure, but for the purposes of using effects that normally grant additional HTK to monsters and the use of such an effect on a player.

I'd say it would give you +30TBLP, using the logic that Lightning Bolt does a monster 8 hits and a player 24 TBLP.

I also say this cos I'm pretty certain I know what effect you're talking about, and know that it's cheaper than the "standard" way of getting temp life so it shouldn't really give you more smile.gif

Chris

I always set 3/1 per HTK so 72/24 life warrior is 24/8 HTK

Rob

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stuart
post Apr 6 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Legend

Member No.: 39

...and obviously the enhance treant glyph doesn't give you 60/20.

Stuart

+Quote Post
post Apr 6 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #8

Group:

Cool. a well rounded discussion - and happy to consider 30/10 reasonable. smile.gif

PH

+Quote Post
post Apr 7 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #9

Group:

Sigh...

i do wish that there was a standard way of doing things for Monster Life.

Although i normally ref YPs and the 6:1 ratio works well there, i reckon it would be good for the system as a whole to havea either the 3:1 or the 6:1...but not a choice of both.

By the way...i dont mind which (unless im playing then clearly the lesser of the two would be preferable).

biggrin.gif

B

+Quote Post
Rob
post Apr 7 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #10

Legend

Member No.: 115

QUOTE(Brucifer @ Apr 7 2008, 08:40 AM) *
Sigh...

i do wish that there was a standard way of doing things for Monster Life.

Although i normally ref YPs and the 6:1 ratio works well there, i reckon it would be good for the system as a whole to havea either the 3:1 or the 6:1...but not a choice of both.

By the way...i dont mind which (unless im playing then clearly the lesser of the two would be preferable).

biggrin.gif

B

Bruce

I tend to comment on dungeons regarding the 3/1 method - I would say 95pc of people stat liek that

Some stat with TBLP/LOC one encounter and HTK the next which is just as confusing

But honestly Bruce i dont think it is an issue - most peopel seem to sing from the same song sheet

I just need to eliminate the couple of old school people who add the AC to the HTK as hits now smile.gif

Rob

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Apr 7 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #11

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

QUOTE(Rob @ Apr 7 2008, 08:51 AM) *
I just need to eliminate the couple of old school people who add the AC to the HTK as hits now smile.gif

Rob

dry.gif

I sometimes work out HTK based on what the part would have if it was a PC but I also sometimes pick a number*. If I'm translating Life to HTK its generally 3:1.

The thing is that if you examine it too carefully you'll come up with all sorts of inconsistancies in terms of what life/HTK various effects grant or inflict. There were probably good reasons at the time they were written, now long since forgotten. Not really worth worrying about too much IMHO.

It is important to remember, however, that Lightning Bolt does 24/4 points of magical damage, less 6/1 per point of MAC possessed. Or 8 hits to a monster (minus 2 per pt of MAC). Should it be relevant, this is blue mana/electrical damage.

J
*I often set things with 26/6 HTK because it's my birthday.

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
Pants
post Apr 7 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #12

Mercenary

Member No.: 148

If you look in the rule books you will see that disruption is 36tblp which is 12 hits. Therefore the rule books work on 3tblp to 1 HTK ration. I would apply this to all such abilities.

However I have been won over by the lee dale method of 6:1 when statting, however I then stat monsters with AC over 12, and damage reductions etc. I find that it makes me stat in a more intresting way, means that ablities such as cut through PAC have a greater impact. Also seems to make fights a bit better!

--------------------
- Pants

"Stop quoting laws to us, we carry swords!" Pompey the Great 82BC

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

Corrupting the youth since 1995!

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 7 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Viper

Member No.: 36

QUOTE(Pants @ Apr 7 2008, 09:49 AM) *
However I have been won over by the lee dale method of 6:1 when statting, however I then stat monsters with AC over 12, and damage reductions etc. I find that it makes me stat in a more intresting way, means that ablities such as cut through PAC have a greater impact. Also seems to make fights a bit better!

I agree with this method myself - 6:1 life to hits, but tend to set hefty AC & damage reductions - hence accuracy, target prediction, pure weapons and direct damage spells tend to have a big effect. I think it makes for much better fights.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jmw451 @ gmail.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
post Apr 7 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #14

Group:

I also tend to set most humanoid parts 6:1 ratio and set in hefty points abilities EG if set 8th Level Warrior 250 points with 6:1 ratio and points spend..might look like 15/5 with AC 9 Max Damage Triple (B-Class) +1 WM in one weapon only (of choice) can use shield, wearing Chain (AC 7) and 2 DAC. Translated to 3:1 = 45/15 AC 9 Max Damage Triple (B-Class) +1 WM in one weapon only (of choice) can use shield, wearing Chain (AC 7) and 2 DAC (Base on 3 stamina ranks)

The Supernatural damage 3:1 is from way back when such damage was not very effective againts high stated adventures and so from what I was informed they set supernatural damage at 3:1 but left physical at 6:1..

But personnally stating at 6:1 is better - idea would be to have everything at the same ratio either 6:1 or 3:1, 6:1 works all round and even helps monsters remember better EG: Monster Warrior stated in 6:1 Ratio has 12/4 hits AC 12 and has MAC 5 what is so hard to remember if all incoming effects are 6:1 effect....

but I know this debate has gone on for ages in the past, that is why there are two alternate ways of stating.....and my debated question was this if you take a single warrior straight 8th Level with no abilites no armour dace etc - and one weapon, send againts monster warrior stated in like ability but at 3:1 ration, who is going to fall over first.... Warrior in 72/24 or Monster in 24/8 - both are doing max system damage of quad (Note this is only an example of how the maths would work) the PC warrior would loose limbs faster.....

I have been told that the reason for 3:1 stating is that there are normally fewer monsters than there are party, so to ensure 'fun' value 3:1 ration is used....

There is only one problem stating at 3:1 and that is the physical side effect,

Both have good and bad merits. Just beware of them......

+Quote Post
DanM
post Apr 7 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #15

Post Police

Member No.: 38

Its not really a question of statting IMO

Its a question of

"If a PC somehow gets an ability which would normally be cast on a monster, and this would grant the monster +10HTK, how does that translate to extra tblp for the player?"

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
post Apr 7 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #16

Group:

QUOTE(DanM @ Apr 7 2008, 11:11 AM) *
Its not really a question of statting IMO

Its a question of

"If a PC somehow gets an ability which would normally be cast on a monster, and this would grant the monster +10HTK, how does that translate to extra tblp for the player?"

"Whatever the bit of yellow paper says it does".
If your yellow paper doesn't say, take it to MCC to get nerfed.

Lucy

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 7 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #17

Viper

Member No.: 36

Oh yes - top tip here.

When setting monster AC, set it in increments of 6pts - it makes your monsters' job much easier.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jmw451 @ gmail.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
BBB
post Apr 7 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #18

Deity

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(JulianW @ Apr 7 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Oh yes - top tip here.

When setting monster AC, set it in increments of 6pts - it makes your monsters' job much easier.

Julian

Always!

Means a monster is far more likely to take it into account if its minus 1 or 2 grades.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
TheFury
post Apr 7 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #19

Mercenary

Member No.: 61

Very true. The thing that spings to mind is Lucy's 1k dungeon, under combat weary it said what the stats of it was and what damage grade to reduce to. To a unfamilliar monster this would have been awesome. Remember folks always add notes to make a monster less confused (especially for a morning section when i havn't woken up/lost hangover).

--------------------
Attention randomly typing monkeys.
The reply button does not dispense bananas. That is all.

+Quote Post
waynej69
post Apr 7 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 136

IMHO this is an area that is long overdue for definition.

I always used to stat 3 life = 1 HTK (becasue that is how the ref who taught me how to stat said do it) but i know that some use the other common method of 6 life = 1HTK

it needs defining for all the reasons people have undoubtedly mentioned (effects that grant/take life etc.) but i will bring up another one:

enhanced force of arms means a minimum of 2pts per damage grade, so for a warrior character (who shall remain nameless) that means 12 on the first strike and 10 on the second an ssubsequent... (fairly common for a warrior damage grade)

so in HTK is that 4 on the first and 3 on the second?

also if there was a rule that said 1 HTK = X life then all the spell descriptions would be shorter as you could skip the (X HTK to monsters) statement in each description thus saving ink (and therefore the world)

Rant over.

cheers,
Wayne

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:03 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins