IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Ratfolk - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ratfolk, Trying to find more background etc
post Jun 22 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Sorry if I am missing something, I have had a pretty extensive look around these forums, and as far as I am aware there isn't a rat book...so I'm wondering if there is a collection of "stuff" that is anywhere to be found that goes into more detail on rat culture and the caste system / caste benefits etc over and above the brief para in one of the books that explains the clans and breeds?

Ta muchly in advance

Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Jun 22 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Group:

QUOTE(Legionreturns @ Jun 22 2010, 08:58 AM) *
Sorry if I am missing something, I have had a pretty extensive look around these forums, and as far as I am aware there isn't a rat book...so I'm wondering if there is a collection of "stuff" that is anywhere to be found that goes into more detail on rat culture and the caste system / caste benefits etc over and above the brief para in one of the books that explains the clans and breeds?

Ta muchly in advance

Chris

There's a bit in the Realm of Glass book and a bit more in the Divine Guidance book under Slavik (the rat deity).

Or there's about six million words somewhere on Lee dale's PC because he wrote the original rat dungeons.

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Jun 22 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #3

Group:

Ok, thanks Lucy. I've seen the bit in the Realm of Glass book and will seek out the divine stuff...10,000 grulls for the person that brings me Lees hard drive wink.gif

On a serious note, is there any plan to do a book or put more info out there? It seems like an area that could do with more written word.

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jun 22 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Post Police

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

There aren't any

They all got killed. I was there and everything

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
Pants
post Jun 22 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Mercenary

Member No.: 148

You should email Jasper or Lee Dale who have a lot of information from when the campaign began.

Of course Japsers answer may indeed follow that of the above.

--------------------
- Pants

"Stop quoting laws to us, we carry swords!" Pompey the Great 82BC

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

Corrupting the youth since 1995!

+Quote Post
MattWest
post Jun 22 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Hero

Member No.: 653

Apparently all the ratfolk in Deci were killed by a big ritual which sent snakes through the sewers 18 months ago.

My rat is from Deci.

A survivor!

(Who was on 80% vitae when he hit 3rd level...)

--------------------

OOC:- Matt West

IC:- A. bin Razil of the Carrion Scavengers Hetyan (Ishmaic Onyx Wizard and Knight of the Land, suitable for a Max 1500); Yosh (monastically trained knife-thrower, suitable for a Max 2k, semi-retired); Hassan bin Kassim of the Perished Sands Hetyan (mage, suitable for a Max 1500); Haram of the Blackened Bones Hetyan (please smile for the crazy evil witch!) (suitable for a Max 750); Flaig (Pilgrim of the Forge, around the 500 mark, played on Borderwatch guild specials); "Murk" ('the Mercenary formerly known as "Sunflower"') (as featured in Primal Times No. 24) ("suitable" for a Max 1K, allegedly); Sahra bin Flambo of the Placid Waters Hetyan (290 points of fire and spear, plus any monster points; "Sahra" means "Desert"); various others

A longer version of this post is available on request.

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Group:

So this has been up a while, and I'm guessing the result is a resounding "no" on official rat info?

So....can I start a campaign for an official rat book or some such? I would love to have more official info on rat culture, or I shall be forced to make it up myself! *grin*

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jun 25 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #8

Post Police

Member No.: 38

QUOTE(Legionreturns @ Jun 25 2010, 05:04 PM) *
So....can I start a campaign for an official rat book or some such?

There isn't much more than is in the book
Certainly not enough to warrant a whole book on its own, they're not comparable to entire nations of multiple classes/races etc like Ishma/Baronies

Plus there aren't any
They got wiped out.
True Story.
I was there.
So was Jasper...

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #9

Group:

Ok...the fact that they got wiped out totally makes sense, given that there are a [----] load of them still adventuring! I understand the limited info, and yeah perhaps a whole book is not warranted but more than the scant few para's that are out there right now would be really useful from my point of view.

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Group:

QUOTE(Legionreturns @ Jun 25 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Ok...the fact that they got wiped out totally makes sense, given that there are a [----] load of them still adventuring! I understand the limited info, and yeah perhaps a whole book is not warranted but more than the scant few para's that are out there right now would be really useful from my point of view.

Short version.

About 11 years ago....

There was a powerful NPC druid called Kith Kaharn who created the ratfolk.
He got fired from his job by the Empire
He let the ratfolk loose to cause trouble
There was some negotiation and the KotL agreed to build a city for the rats to live in to keep them out of trouble.
A bloke called Thorgrimm attacked the city builders and killed lots of them so the city was never built.
The rats whinged about how the knights betrayed them.
Lee Dale ran lots of dungeons full of really evil rats for various guilds, including KotL & ICOB
KotL and ICOB killed lots of rats on dungeon, mostly involving incredibly evil rats blowing up innocent cities with big bombs.
Some people who were in KotL and ICOB killed lots of rats in Heroes as well.
I blew up Kith Kaharn's private extra-planar holiday cottage just to make sure.
Lee ran a "let's finish the rat plot" themeday, which killed all the LRP rats.
Jasper had a Heroes turn which said "you have killed every last rat in existence. They're all dead. There are no more ratfolk."
Kith Kaharn got killed at least twice in Heroes (I missed him in LRP - damn you BBB...).

Then the purple book got published with ratfolk as a playable race, negating 90% of the above.

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Group:

Ah, ok...well that makes a lot of sense then :s Thank you so much Lucy that clears a lot of issues up for me

So essentially, ratfolk should NOT really be a playable race! Given that there are a lot out there still adventuring and they aren't currently an outlawed race (to a degree) then either one or two got missed and they bred like...well...rats...or something else happened?

I can see how having played this campaign both from a live and a Heroes pov it must be quite sucky that anyone can now turn up and start rat characters. sad.gif

I guess having started a semi-group based on rats not knowing any of the above this makes things a bit...odd...the very last thing I want to do is break the background so I think we need to work something out here

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jun 25 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #12

Deity

Member No.: 25

Lucy synopsis is pretty good and only lacks the background relating to their current existence.

Rats are survivors, they can survive apparent extinction. The reason that they all appeared to have been exterminated was simply those too stupid to hide were butchered, those clever enough to hide were never seen. I.e. no more were found thus it was believed no more existed, proving the non-existence of something being, well pretty difficult, even in the modern world having supposedly extinct species being discovered, Ceolocanth's anyone?

Later, their numbers restored, they came out of hiding and the Magistrate of Thimon came to an arrangement whereby the rats were not considered outlawed in the city (that byelaw still stands) so the rats poured into Thimon and up from the undercity of Thimon to become respectable members of Thimonese society where they were protected by law. ventually the Senate saw fit to remove the outlawing on the entire race but by this time they had become well entrenched in Thimon.

The Ratfolk, however, are short lived and generations have come and gone passing down tales, fair or otherwise, of their butchery and betrayal at the hands of the Knights of the Land and they share a generational / genetic memory, that is passed down and what they perceive as being hard done by due to the Knights has somewhat formed part of their identity and the legends of their forebears.

Rats, Cockroaches, nigh on impossible to wipe out. The Ratgod, at least in Laby terms, is all about suriving the unsurvivable.

The history of Kaharn goes on a little further, him, having some measure of vitae rebirthed at least once and was re-created at least once.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #13

Group:

Gotcha, that makes more sense and yeah it kind of fits in with how I imagine rats to be.

Many thanks all

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Group:

There might have been some people that went around following the evil KOTL and restoring the poor little rats back to life...

ph34r.gif

MCC

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #15

Group:

QUOTE(MarkCox @ Jun 25 2010, 08:16 PM) *
There might have been some people that went around following the evil KOTL and restoring the poor little rats back to life...

I had the strangest feeling you might have been involved with their inexplicable failure to become extinct. dry.gif

+Quote Post
LeeS
post Jun 26 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #16

Militiaman

Member No.: 159

Personally I like the fact that not too many people play them, and the system is not overrun with the little buggers, it kinda plays on the history that the rest were in hiding when the KOTL etc, etc chopped them all up.

And the survivability element to them makes for a few nice pts apps too, go Mathercurdle ! smile.gif

--------------------
Lee

+Quote Post
MattWest
post Jun 28 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #17

Hero

Member No.: 653

Is it still correct as per RoG that (outside Thimon) three breeds of rats are outlawed and two are not? I am thinking of caslevasp (longhairs) and winterscorn as not being outlawed, and capultavel, altunhurst and the other one being outlawed (though Altunhurst undetectably so in human form). Or has this been superseded by IC changes? In which case have the guild-joining restrictions changed?

Cheers

Matt

--------------------

OOC:- Matt West

IC:- A. bin Razil of the Carrion Scavengers Hetyan (Ishmaic Onyx Wizard and Knight of the Land, suitable for a Max 1500); Yosh (monastically trained knife-thrower, suitable for a Max 2k, semi-retired); Hassan bin Kassim of the Perished Sands Hetyan (mage, suitable for a Max 1500); Haram of the Blackened Bones Hetyan (please smile for the crazy evil witch!) (suitable for a Max 750); Flaig (Pilgrim of the Forge, around the 500 mark, played on Borderwatch guild specials); "Murk" ('the Mercenary formerly known as "Sunflower"') (as featured in Primal Times No. 24) ("suitable" for a Max 1K, allegedly); Sahra bin Flambo of the Placid Waters Hetyan (290 points of fire and spear, plus any monster points; "Sahra" means "Desert"); various others

A longer version of this post is available on request.

+Quote Post
post Jun 28 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #18

Group:

QUOTE(MattWest @ Jun 28 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Is it still correct as per RoG that (outside Thimon) three breeds of rats are outlawed and two are not? I am thinking of caslevasp (longhairs) and winterscorn as not being outlawed, and capultavel, altunhurst and the other one being outlawed (though Altunhurst undetectably so in human form). Or has this been superseded by IC changes? In which case have the guild-joining restrictions changed?

Cheers

Matt

They have been de-outlawed by the Senate. It should be in the errata somewhere.
they are not able to join guilds unless the guild in question buys a benefit that state that they can (e.g. Natural Trust)

Lucy

+Quote Post
Leo
post Jun 29 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #19

Mercenary

Member No.: 44

QUOTE(MattWest @ Jun 22 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Apparently all the ratfolk in Deci were killed by a big ritual which sent snakes through the sewers 18 months ago.

It was some time in mid 2007. There were poisonous sausages. True sory.

+Quote Post
Benson
post Jun 29 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #20

Hero

Member No.: 431

Rats having there outlaw removed is also in the clarification above..

Rob

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:40 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins