IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Best class / race for a two handed weapon character? - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Best class / race for a two handed weapon character?
OliverHarud
post Mar 4 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Peon

Group: Members
Member No.: 235

Hello! SO, this is the message board! I have honestly have never used one before, just looked like a sea of writing that I never fancied ploughing through! “Play mostly warrior types do you?” “Yes, how did you guess?”
….. ANNYYY way, I have a question for you, whoever you are that reads this and reply, so, mostly wizard and scout types I am guessing, so you might not be the best crowd for this, but you are the best place I know to start.
I have never had a character that uses a two handed weapon, and I would like to have a go, I am thinking Kensi, I have some fabulous oriental costume and a terrible oriental accent that I enjoy torturing the party with, but are they any good for a character that will probably play a bunch of random dungeons? and I will probably not get any higher than two / three thousand points, should I just play a straight oriental warrior? is there much difference at the lower levels? would a straight warrior have more of a chance of surviving? what other good classes are there for fighting with a two handed weapon and having a half way decent chance of surviving and having a bit of fun?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ryan
post Mar 4 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 574

My own experience taught me get fap and healing... my b class warrior in a paladin based on that and I'm relatively happy. Kensai is crazy tough to ply due to life scale I'd actually say assassin done warrior is almost better...

+Quote Post
stomperwombat
post Mar 5 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #3

Militiaman

Member No.: 4,896

Hello, I play a troll warrior. Loads of roleplaying involved plus strength at 6th level more strength at post 8th so you are doing triple at 6th level then quads at post 8th with your double handed weapon.
You do not have to worry about the complication of learning spiritual or magical spells, just an eye on the time for your regeneration cycle 1 point TOB and LOC per 5 mins of time in.

Hope this helps

Stomps.

+Quote Post
AndrewBucknell
post Mar 5 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Hero

Member No.: 95

Ollie

First get on with the comic!!

Second, oriental plain warrior has more life expectancy and can wear armour so that along with more life you have more chance to survive. Then if you want to go down the kimono route multiclass to a non standard kensai later. I am sure that Tim T will help.... OR even multiclass warrior priest of swords for spirits and healing (non standard)

Just have fun

Andrew
BTW join the snake clan. (as you wont know my clan which is phoenix)

+Quote Post
fatteacher
post Mar 5 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Hero

Member No.: 1,355

Kensai, or 'Glass Cannons' are good fun but low life expectancy.
Try Clan Panama for direction and forearm parry

--------------------
Andy

Godric Snowsson - Warrior/Wizard/Warrior Priest - 7.8k
Ginkgo Panama - Kensai/Warrior Priest - 4.9k
Grandbow - Human Spirit Warrior - 663pts
Noyen Nopac Zu - Snake Clan Monk - 1.9k
Coconut (aka ‘Dead Ogre Walking’)- Half Ogre Warrior - 4k

'It can't rain all the time!'

+Quote Post
DavidFisher
post Mar 5 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #6

Legend

Member No.: 446

Warrior taking skirmisher - grants some DAC and FAP (or Bilteve Pit Fighter status works)

Ensure you have lots of healer girlfriends about to keep you up and moving

David

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Mar 5 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Legend

Member No.: 52

As someone who has played a 1/2 elf pure B Class warrior to 10k without any parries it is tough.

Issues are compounded by the increased volume of "Touch Fx's" you take with no shield to block them and referee stating, as the more "constructs" and high global hit creatures the tougher the fights become.

Nowadays however you have access to the Warrior Tradition "Skirmisher" which gives you access to Forearm Parry without needing to be oriental or a FAP published class.

Monk gives you access to the best parries and comes with DAC, warrior the most life and published numericals etc.

With the latest books there are many multiclass options to help with long term development.

If you fancy playing an Oriental, then be a 1st Class Warrior and take skirmisher and work from there. Then later you can go Budoka if you just want parries but access to items, or Kensai if you want to explore that option. My advice would be play and see and let your IC journey shape the direction you develop in.

--------------------
Gordon Court
Port Miere business: portmierecitycouncil@gmail.com
Known to play: Amorphus, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2009: Amorphus, Ash, Cyric, Godstone, Kessel, Prowl, Mithaniel, Radiant, Raven, Strale, Void & Vorell
Cast of 2010: Amorphus, Aqueous, Blaen, Godstone, Hex, Kessel, Mithaniel, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Vanderlaine & Void
Cast of 2011: Cyric, Hex & Prowl
Cast of 2012: Kessel
Cast of 2013: Amorphus, Golgari, Kessel, Marimar, Radiant, Strale & "Terry"
Cast of 2014: Amorphus, Hex, Godstone, Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Radiant & Strale
Cast of 2015: Amorphus, Karador, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2016: Zaton
Cast of 2017: Amorphus, Equinox, Godstone, Golgari, Hex, Karador, Prowl, Radiant, Variel & Zaton
Cast of 2018: Amorphus, Despair, Equinox, Golgari, Karador, Lannary, Prowl, Templeton, Vanderlaine, Void & Zaton
Cast of 2019: Amorphus, Despair, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Prowl, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2020: Amorphus, Isamaru, Karador, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2021: Amorphus, Grizzled Wolf, Isamaru, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2022: Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Lannary, Leovold, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Strale, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2023: Isamaru, Leovold, Numai, Radiant & Zaton

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 5 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Peon

This is all brilliant thank you!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
Post #9

Peon

QUOTE(Gordon @ Mar 5 2017, 02:37 PM) *
As someone who has played a 1/2 elf pure B Class warrior to 10k without any parries it is tough.

Issues are compounded by the increased volume of "Touch Fx's" you take with no shield to block them and referee stating, as the more "constructs" and high global hit creatures the tougher the fights become.

Nowadays however you have access to the Warrior Tradition "Skirmisher" which gives you access to Forearm Parry without needing to be oriental or a FAP published class.

Monk gives you access to the best parries and comes with DAC, warrior the most life and published numericals etc.

With the latest books there are many multiclass options to help with long term development.

If you fancy playing an Oriental, then be a 1st Class Warrior and take skirmisher and work from there. Then later you can go Budoka if you just want parries but access to items, or Kensai if you want to explore that option. My advice would be play and see and let your IC journey shape the direction you develop in.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
Post #10

Peon

QUOTE(Ryan @ Mar 4 2017, 11:15 PM) *
My own experience taught me get fap and healing... my b class warrior in a paladin based on that and I'm relatively happy. Kensai is crazy tough to ply due to life scale I'd actually say assassin done warrior is almost better...

Thank you!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 5 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Peon

QUOTE(stomperwombat @ Mar 5 2017, 09:11 AM) *
Hello, I play a troll warrior. Loads of roleplaying involved plus strength at 6th level more strength at post 8th so you are doing triple at 6th level then quads at post 8th with your double handed weapon.
You do not have to worry about the complication of learning spiritual or magical spells, just an eye on the time for your regeneration cycle 1 point TOB and LOC per 5 mins of time in.

Hope this helps

Stomps.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 5 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #12

Peon

QUOTE(AndrewBucknell @ Mar 5 2017, 01:51 PM) *
Ollie

First get on with the comic!!

Second, oriental plain warrior has more life expectancy and can wear armour so that along with more life you have more chance to survive. Then if you want to go down the kimono route multiclass to a non standard kensai later. I am sure that Tim T will help.... OR even multiclass warrior priest of swords for spirits and healing (non standard)

Just have fun

Andrew
BTW join the snake clan. (as you wont know my clan which is phoenix)

HA! It is coming on! and thank you for the reply! ...... it is looking like a straign warrior then experiment later I think.

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 5 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Peon

QUOTE(fatteacher @ Mar 5 2017, 02:27 PM) *
Kensai, or 'Glass Cannons' are good fun but low life expectancy.
Try Clan Panama for direction and forearm parry

Cheers!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 5 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Peon

QUOTE(DavidFisher @ Mar 5 2017, 02:33 PM) *
Warrior taking skirmisher - grants some DAC and FAP (or Bilteve Pit Fighter status works)

Ensure you have lots of healer girlfriends about to keep you up and moving

David

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Hulud
post Mar 5 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #15

Mercenary

Member No.: 891

Ollie, you're pretty good at sword fighting, just buff up on your style to account for a B-Class and FAP, and I suspect you'll make a lot of headway on skill alone.

Neil.

--------------------
Neil.

PM box FULL - Please EMAIL me instead: neilmillard1@googlemail.com

-------------------------------------
Conroy Suman:Grey Wizard,Nicosia Roguri: Pathfinder,Valentine:Champion,Keyser Kint:Thug,Boone:Scout,Virgil:Oppressed Troll Ranger,Doris the Dagger:Drag queen/negotiator,Sid Snout:Editor of the Sunsday Snort.

He boiled for your sins

Ramen

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Mar 5 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #16

Hero

Member No.: 112

I'd say warlock.

Means you can do some other stuff as well. Similarly grey knight or AP would work. Pure warrior is fun but a bit limiting. as soon as you encounter anything other than a bloke to try and kill having something else up your sleeve can help.

I'd also recommend the guard tradition as this means you can buy distancing based abilities a table earlier.

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 6 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #17

Peon

QUOTE(Hulud @ Mar 5 2017, 06:47 PM) *
Ollie, you're pretty good at sword fighting, just buff up on your style to account for a B-Class and FAP, and I suspect you'll make a lot of headway on skill alone.
Neil.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
OliverHarud
post Mar 6 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Peon

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ Mar 5 2017, 10:34 PM) *
I'd say warlock.

Means you can do some other stuff as well. Similarly grey knight or AP would work. Pure warrior is fun but a bit limiting. as soon as you encounter anything other than a bloke to try and kill having something else up your sleeve can help.

I'd also recommend the guard tradition as this means you can buy distancing based abilities a table earlier.

It did cross my mind, but they even weekend than Kensi?

+Quote Post
Helsvell
post Mar 6 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #19

Hero

Member No.: 47

Warlocks get defensive spells now which makes a lot better as power up warriors - Ivory, Brown or Grey are good.

--------------------
Peter Smith

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post Mar 6 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #20

Hero

Member No.: 112

yes warlocks are certainly much better these days, and having something like plate(s) or shatter up your sleeve as well as easy magic damage through empower weapon I think makes a big improvement to life expectancy.

Similarly grey knight could be potent with the inclusion of some spirit invis/spirit shield innates.

As I said before the amount of times you fight 'just blokes' is very small so having something in your back pocket to even up the disadvantages of using a b class weapon is really needed.

I've got 5K of b class monk and the lack of supernatural damage and defences is my main downfall and getting there was a real slog at times, conversely I have 2k of b class warlock who was much more enjoyable to play.

I think the issue with a Kenzi is that they don't really have any progression that makes them unique, 1st class warriors can buy a lot of what they can do and be in more life and still m/c wizard or something in the future.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:54 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins