IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Level Drain - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Level Drain, Or is it wraith’s touch?
Stuart
post Jul 15 2020, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

We’ve come a really long way with the system and updating things to make it more immediately playable and fun. One stark area which remains a real pain is level drain.

If you’re unfortunate enough to get jumped by a wraith early in a dungeon, you’re crippled for the rest of the day by loss of life, casting and resistance levels. To be frank, it’s really really dull. The miracle to cure it is niche and expensive, and hardly ever cast.

Can we change level drain so it suppresses your life energy instead, has exactly the same effect but wears off after 5 minutes of not being level drained again. If it takes you to zero then rather than killing you it knocks you out for 5 minutes?

Or do people love level drain and want to see more of it?

Stuart
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ferro
post Jul 15 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Mercenary

Member No.: 2,812

I hate it affecting level of life. I never know my levels of life...

Resistance levels and casting levels is how I usually see it used, and it usually lasts an hour or the section. I can't say I've seen it last an entire day.

--------------------
Stacey

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jul 15 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #3

Deity

Member No.: 25

Playing Argoth's Advocate: Contrast the effects Of Level Drain with Disease for which the relevant Immunity to is also 100pts.

After 5 minutes you can't do anything useful and after an hour you're dead.

Perhaps one answer is to make the miracle (Restore Hope?) closer / easier to cast to be more comparable to Cure Disease.

Or maybe unless you're willing you cannot suffer the dis-benefits of Level Drain more than once every 5 minutes

This then makes it closer to the once you've been hit by a disease you pretty don't care how many more you take in the 5 minutes before being healed and means less "bang! 4 Double-Level Drains you're dead"

I think its generally given as having a duration of an hour nowadays.

With all such things its one of those things a ref just needs to be wary setting it (at lower levels) as it can either be an inconvenience or ruin a party.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jul 15 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 574

I would simplify it by just making it.

Loses a Level of Resistance for 1 hour. if you take 8 you Die

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 15 2020, 09:17 AM
Post #5

Legend

Member No.: 62

99% I’ve never seen a ref lose level of life.

Just too much effort, it’s always nice watching people die to 8 level drains, power creep is too much, let’s not remove something that kills people early!

--------------------
Lord Knight problems... Contact Stacey. I'm free!

+Quote Post
atem55
post Jul 15 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #6

Militiaman

Member No.: 4,528

I've not seen any ref's calculate a loss of life (let alone recalculate neuronic innates smile.gif ).

As BBB is saying, if the view is level drain and disease are a similar level of inconvenience , as the immunity is the same cost for remedy should be similar aswell?

Restoration is 6sp (+1 spirit per additional level to restore!) and major healing, dismissal, or benediction, outside the toolkit of alot of goodly priests. Should the casting cost be lower and the miracle be easier to access? a standard goodly miracle or minor sphere access?

--------------------
Carl

Cathbad - Tryst Warrior Druid
Trellis - Frost Giant Warrior Priest, Vessel, Spiritual Maelstrom

+Quote Post
dhurrell
post Jul 15 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #7

Mercenary

Member No.: 3,966

Or we do a 'Steal Life Essence' style revamp and continue doing away with level based calculations...

I agree the ambiguity is tough. Although a ref hasn't questioned me on what I've done I've previously assumed loss of levels of life, resistance levels, power, what skills I got at what level... Really messy for scouts!

Clear ruling on what's actually lost would be great. Or better yet Wraiths touch becomes something interesting rather than an OOC / admin inconvenience. My imagination hasn't woken up yet though to suggest a better idea though, sorry

+Quote Post
TheFury
post Jul 15 2020, 12:22 PM
Post #8

Mercenary

Member No.: 61

Making it lose a level of resistance only would definately make life easier. Otherwise I really don't have an issue with it.

--------------------
Attention randomly typing monkeys.
The reply button does not dispense bananas. That is all.

+Quote Post
Stuart
post Jul 15 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Legend

Member No.: 39

My point about being screwed for the day was meant to refer to taking 6 level drains and so being 2nd level, 3rd an hour later, 4th after 2 hrs, etc.

I had a look in the priest book but can’t find the definition of what you lose to a level drain. It could do with being clarified really, and levels of resistance make sense.

Being 2nd level on a max 1500 sucks, but taking 6 hrs to get back to full sucks more.

Stuart

+Quote Post
fatteacher
post Jul 15 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #10

Hero

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE(Ryan @ Jul 15 2020, 10:07 AM) *

I agree with Ryan

--------------------
Andy

Godric Snowsson - Warrior/Wizard/Warrior Priest - 7.8k
Ginkgo Panama - Kensai/Warrior Priest - 4.9k
Grandbow - Human Spirit Warrior - 663pts
Noyen Nopac Zu - Snake Clan Monk - 1.9k
Coconut (aka ‘Dead Ogre Walking’)- Half Ogre Warrior - 4k

'It can't rain all the time!'

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jul 15 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #11

Deity

Member No.: 25

As an aside from a ref's view point the "effect" I rule for Level Drain is one of those one's where I treat differently depending on the level of the dungeon.

A Max 750 I'll generally say a level of resistance for some time

A Max 7,500 if you've not got Immunity then its quite literally one level off your base class on everything that is calculated by level: Life, Power, Class / Racial Innates, Resistance Level.

Remember originally mumble-mumble decades ago it took a whole dungeon to recover a single lost level and level drains to zero was perm death. So it has been made less lethal over time.

I'm guessing the crux of what Stuart is asking is "can we move away from effects that screw you for the rest of the day and are a problem for maybe just an encounter or two"

Which is where we sort of are with things with the genius addition that is fleeting, or refs just saying 5 minutes of baneful effects are up once an encounter has clearly ended so that the game can keep flowing and move on to the next encounter.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jul 15 2020, 05:14 PM
Post #12

Hero

Member No.: 1,166

In my experience, a level drain has never lasted more than an hour or section change.

It has always been reffed as a level of life and resistance levels, levels of life are never an issue (6/2, 5/2, 1/1, etc) and for those it is, you should probably play the 1st to 8th level system again and learn it. Most monsters that can use it at will only can do it 6 times and lets be honest if more than one monsters gets you with it, you are being targeted tongue.gif

It a very cool/scary ability, that gives a sense of mortality to players, that is often lacking. My only gripe with it, is that it is really hard to talk about it in character. To quote Duncan "I've been level... my life esse... I got nothing!"

--------------------
Jules
Seth/800 Blades - 10k - Pure Priest/Budoka/White Wizard
Kazan Toshimoko - 9.8k Council Yojimbo
Xeno - 6.2k - Ivory Warrior/Wizard
Dipp - 4k - Far Northfolk True Awakener
Sosen Oku - 3.7k - Jade Dragon Shaman (Bene/Healing/Jade Wiz)
Lt Benjamin Ford - 3.6k Nightsoil Comms Grey Knight
Moru - 3.1k - Twilight Elf Utility Wizard
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
Stevelouch
post Jul 15 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #13

Steve Louch

Member No.: 108

QUOTE(Abel @ Jul 15 2020, 06:14 PM) *
In my experience, a level drain has never lasted more than an hour or section change.

It has always been reffed as a level of life and resistance levels, levels of life are never an issue (6/2, 5/2, 1/1, etc) and for those it is, you should probably play the 1st to 8th level system again and learn it. Most monsters that can use it at will only can do it 6 times and lets be honest if more than one monsters gets you with it, you are being targeted tongue.gif

It a very cool/scary ability, that gives a sense of mortality to players, that is often lacking. My only gripe with it, is that it is really hard to talk about it in character. To quote Duncan "I've been level... my life esse... I got nothing!"

Easy to talk about in character.

My soul, Essence or life force has been stolen, drained, ripped away. Or maybe even I have been weaken by dark powers.

As BBB says it has been weakened over the years as not perm death now and easier to get levels back.

It was always a loss of level of main class and relevant spirts etc. It was always good to have a life scale from a multi class to avoid loss of life and a second class to 8th to avoid loss of resistance levels

+Quote Post
Will
post Jul 15 2020, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Legend

Member No.: 158

This is largely how I see it being reffed currently

Well... 5 months ago...

--------------------
Will Power - will@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
Stevelouch
post Jul 15 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #15

Steve Louch

Seems fair, there is also the miracle to take 8 level drains of course so still a need to buy the immunity

+Quote Post
DanM
post Jul 19 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #16

Post Police

Member No.: 38

It's still 5sp so cast though. Needs to be worth the cost

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
Stevelouch
post Jul 19 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #17

Steve Louch

QUOTE(DanM @ Jul 19 2020, 03:03 PM) *
It's still 5sp so cast though. Needs to be worth the cost

The main use for evil is to lower resistance levels for a further attack generally I always found

+Quote Post
isbiraven
post Jul 19 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #18

Hero

Member No.: 98

I think it works well as is... as many have said it gets reffed mainly as resistance levels for an hour per level taken and it is meant to be scary imo...

plus lets be honest... 100pts makes it worthless...

T.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:31 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins