IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Do we really need the post police? - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do we really need the post police?
post Apr 23 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #41

Group:
Member No.: 0

Zoe - you might not understand who the swearing thing works - if i or any other member sees a post they feel is inappropriate there is the report post function - I do this fairly regularily - this brings it to the attention of the site admins who can then moderate the post.

-
mark
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoeMercer
post Apr 23 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #42

Heldsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I understand.

A complaint is made and depending on who makes the complaint and who it is against, the CMT decide what is appropriate to do.

An experiment is called for I feel. I'll let you know the results.

+Quote Post
post Apr 23 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #43

Group:

smile.gif

Remember it also relies on someone reporting the post - or the CMT reading all th eposts - which they don't do.

-
mark

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 23 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #44

Mercenary

Member No.: 259

Once a post has been flagged, however someone does that, the CMT read the post and make a judgement. This is NOT based on who is reporting and who it's said against, it's based on the content. If it's a swearing issue they edit rather than remove, which is something many forums don't do... normally posts are removed without comment.

And I would agree with Andy Washington here, Andy B is in China and Phil is, I am sure, incredibly busy what with a full time job, family commitments, CMT meetings and other CMT duties and preparing both on a business and personal level for the 3 day (bearing in mind I have flooded them with questions about the 3-day so I can feed people and I am sure that ref's, monsters and players are also adding their share of emails/phone calls this week).

As Mark has pointed out users of this website use the "report" function and in my experience it's used a lot more than we think... I don't think you can say the CMT are to "blame" for a bias when they are responding to the use of the report button... if there is bias then in this case, it's a bias of the member's. And I say that having read the overwhelming support of the swearing policy on this thread.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
SteveBatchelor
post Apr 24 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #45

Militiaman

Member No.: 281

I've read all this over a cup of coffee this morning and must say I've found it really interesting. I suppose I'm just old fashioned, after all I am old.

I don't see any need at all to swear on publically accessed forums, personally I think it just encourages antisocial behavior, it looks really sloppy, and most of the time is competely and utterly uncalled for.

My view is that we live in an imperfect world, moderation is necessary, and it should be done using a consistent set of rules to ensure that everyone is left feeling as though they are treated in the same manner.

However, that would be a perfect world, and so I guess we must just accept that sometimes people make mistakes.

<shrug> Just my opinion.

+Quote Post
post Apr 24 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #46

Group:

I have finally managed to read through all of this thread and agree whole heartedly with the deletion of swear words...
This is a forum for everybody to communicate about our hobby and doing so should not be blighted by profanities.
Different people have different standards and as this forum is for everybody we should aim to not to offend anybody.

How would a prospective YP parent feel if their child had just mentioned Labyrinthe to them and they wanted more info and they googled it only to find a forum flooded with cursing? They would never let their child try out the hobby...

On the subject that someone raised:
To be honest... we do play a fantasy game where we discuss daemons, hell, blood, sacrafices, and lots of other terrible things to many people due to their religon or host of other reasons.
Lets face it the next adventure we might all be eating peoples souls and hearts whilst dancing around a bonfire calling to the Black Goat of the Woods, whilst the YP are next door. (It has happened).

I and I think everyone who plays Labyrinthe understands that It Is Not Real!
We know that those sort of things do not happen in real life and would never re-enact them...
However: Obscene language does happen in real life and treating it as a normality is downright wrong as it infulences the young.
On the subject of some people getting offended because of their religion I find it hard to see where they are coming from really... I am a Roman Catholic and I feel fine with all of the examples above because once again I know that they are not real. I'm fine with priests being played because there is no intent to cause offence... It is just part of a game... moreover a game I thouroughly enjoy

Whilst for some people who swear often in everyday life it is an immediate response to useobsceneties to express strong opinions for most people they come out as exclamations and are often regretted afterwards.
This is a forum and thus exclamations are almost impossible due to the fact that it can take a while to press post. You have to click on the button or hit tab then enter. Thus you have ample time to have calmed down and thought better of your heat-of-the-moment profanity.

All in all I am pleased how swearing is moderated on these forums and am grateful for the CMT for putting the time and effort into maintaining a site where we can converse about our past-time.

P.S. Is there no way to have an automatic swear block? I have seen it on other forums where it will automatically look for and block common swear-words and some variations on their spelling.

P.P.S. Woah that took a long time to write!

+Quote Post
SRussell
post Apr 24 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #47

Levy

From: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Member No.: 387

I've seen a lot of automatic forum moderation software. Banned words list is created, job done. There does seem to be a lot of time spent on moderating posts which this could solve.

However I've only ever found Cotter to cross my limit of acceptable swearing, repeatedly and brazenly. Directed moderation might be a better answer.

--------------------
QUOTE(Jan @ Feb 20 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Since you already have the maximum of one ythog flgath ng'flgath from zath vorgaal, you would need a hngaug flgath ng'flgath with no other ythog flgathu ng'flgath from it in order to flgathl a ythog.

+Quote Post
post Apr 24 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #48

Group:

QUOTE(Salamander @ Apr 24 2009, 09:09 PM) *
I have finally managed to read through all of this thread and agree whole heartedly with the deletion of swear words...
This is a forum for everybody to communicate about our hobby and doing so should not be blighted by profanities.
Different people have different standards and as this forum is for everybody we should aim to not to offend anybody.

How would a prospective YP parent feel if their child had just mentioned Labyrinthe to them and they wanted more info and they googled it only to find a forum flooded with cursing? They would never let their child try out the hobby...

On the subject that someone raised:
I and I think everyone who plays Labyrinthe understands that It Is Not Real!
We know that those sort of things do not happen in real life and would never re-enact them...
However: Obscene language does happen in real life and treating it as a normality is downright wrong as it infulences the young.
On the subject of some people getting offended because of their religion I find it hard to see where they are coming from really... I am a Roman Catholic and I feel fine with all of the examples above because once again I know that they are not real. I'm fine with priests being played because there is no intent to cause offence... It is just part of a game... moreover a game I thouroughly enjoy
Whilst for some people who swear often in everyday life it is an immediate response to useobsceneties to express strong opinions for most people they come out as exclamations and are often regretted afterwards.
This is a forum and thus exclamations are almost impossible due to the fact that it can take a while to press post. You have to click on the button or hit tab then enter. Thus you have ample time to have calmed down and thought better of your heat-of-the-moment profanity.
All in all I am pleased how swearing is moderated on these forums and am grateful for the CMT for putting the time and effort into maintaining a site where we can converse about our past-time.
P.S. Is there no way to have an automatic swear block? I have seen it on other forums where it will automatically look for and block common swear-words and some variations on their spelling.

P.P.S. Woah that took a long time to write!

Yeah, what he said...

No, seriously!

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 24 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #49

Mercenary

Member No.: 259

I believe it can be set so that everyone or individuals are permenantly moderated and can not post swear words... but I think the CMT are trying to create a standard that everyone should try to work to. Besides, people should be able to self-moderate through common sense... although from my experience common sense is not that common wink.gif

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
NickMonsterSands
post Apr 25 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #50

Militiaman

Member No.: 50

On a tangent..

Whilst there can be swearing a plenty in the cafe area, i don't recall the last time i heard any In Game.
Which is often far more "In the heat of the moment".

How very odd.

*wanders off looking for Tolkiens Big Book O Bad Bad Words in Elvish*

--------------------
~~~
*inhale*
"Neuronic flash, Neuronic flare, Neuronic whip, Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration Neuronic penetration.... Priest..... i hurt... but the bad man fell down, twice, and run away and i thought painful thoughts at him... i did good?"

+Quote Post
post Apr 25 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #51

Group:

True...
Guidelines are often far more constructive than actual: "Thou shalt not..." kind of rules

Then again the automatc deletion of some of the stronger words may shield younger users who may not have actually ever heard them. Rather than giving them the opportunity to read them before the CMT has a chance to delete them.

+Quote Post
post Apr 26 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #52

Group:

"Mummy, what does **** mean?"
<Gasp> <Faint>

+Quote Post
abyatt
post Apr 27 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #53

Mercenary

Member No.: 3

Further to the suggestions on this thread, we have now had a content filter added to these forums.
This filter is presently empty, but we will be populating this over the coming months, and we will add new items to that filter as we go.

Andy

--------------------
Damn I love muggles

+Quote Post
Bruno
post Apr 27 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #54

Hero

Member No.: 41

Good stuff, thanks Andy

--------------------
--
Bruno

+Quote Post
post Apr 27 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #55

Group:

Wow! That was promt!
Thanks! happy.gif

+Quote Post
MattJ
post Apr 27 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #56

Legend

Member No.: 472

QUOTE(abyatt @ Apr 27 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Further to the suggestions on this thread, we have now had a content filter added to these forums.
This filter is presently empty, but we will be populating this over the coming months, and we will add new items to that filter as we go.

Andy

Anyone up for a game of "who can get the most bizarre word added to the content filter" biggrin.gif

I have a friend that once persuaded my friend's sister that "Croutons" was a swear word!

Matt J

+Quote Post
post May 1 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #57

Group:

Lol...Nice one Andy, I think it proves club members do get their posts read!

+Quote Post
post May 2 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #58

Group:

QUOTE(Andrea @ Apr 17 2009, 01:26 PM) *
Yes there are parents who allow their children to take part in this hobby who are of the mind that if they can do anything to limit the childs contact with swearing and inappropriate language in general they will.

My parents were just one, and I can name current YP's parents who are adversed to it.

If you haven't noticed when behind the desk I will ask people to tone down language whether children are present or not. Yes the kids are going to hear it on tv, from their peers or in some cases from the parents. But no adult can assume to know what that kids parents want, so I blanket edit of swear words here is the responisible thing to do. I am glad of it, and if I had a child of the right age I'd be happy for them to see whats posted here.

Yes on the internet there is a lot of inappropriate content.. but that is what parental control was invented for. You can block these sites or sites containing certain things from being accessed.

Beyond all of this: Does it harm anyone to have the inappropriate language edited? Seriously? When the world is full of devestation, horrendous inhumane actions and war, surely removing the odd **** or whatever is small potatoes.

Honestly I have to agree. I knwo some message boards have an automatic censorinf string in their programming. But I just see it as we really don't have to swear to make our points get across. I knwo some people for goddess knows why. Can;t get their points across without letting several F bombs fly. And some other colorful expletive deleteds as well. I just think theer are ebtter ways to express ones self then going down that road. Although I would hope people would be able to filter themselves instead. But rules are rules. And I try to abide by them.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:57 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins