Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Alert
Godseed
post Mar 8 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #21

Heldsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,351

Even if you're playing a hardcore warrior, you really don't need plate at all... it's only one AC point better than chain, which is far more comfortable and less restrictive (you will realise how important this is when you're first told to climb over the "bog blocks" wink.gif ).

Also, yay for more new people smile.gif

--------------------
Ben
-==-
AKA Bane: just another Human Warrior: 1512pts post 8th
Also Sargon "Where have all the cakes gone?" of Cloud Way; Retterchen, the faerie mystic; and J.B., an unspecified scout subclass.
On an extended break from active caving while rebuilding a house, but still unable to resist delicious yellow paper speculation.
Standard disclaimer applies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #22

Group:
Member No.: 0

@Stuart:
Mmm, it was the same issue I had in MMO's. I always chose to be the healer who stayed way back and darted in to keep someone alive.... until a monster would break past and kill me in a single swipe XD

Pure priest would be my ideal choice smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #23

Group:

Sold, first character will be a Warrior biggrin.gif (It was the option of dual wielding that did it... It's the Dragon Age: Origins not wearing off yet...)

+Quote Post
Blodders
post Mar 8 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #24

Levy

Member No.: 117

If you're planning on playing a priest, it's also worth downloading the "Divine Guidance" book found in download section (http://www.labyrinthe.co.uk/members/downloads/). This will give you a very nice rundown of what each of the faiths stand for, as well as what miracles you'll recieve through membership.

The churches are also listed in the Almanac too.

Good starting choices (for a healing priest at least) are usualy Shaehan, or if you fancy a bit more flexibilty, Dead Heroes. There are others though, so keep an open mind!

Alex B

--------------------

+Quote Post
Craigus17
post Mar 8 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #25

Hero

Member No.: 1,132

Hello to you all. Nice to see some more people in their early twenties. I really hope you enjoy playing.

There is a lot to learn about the system, but don't worry about feeling like you have to learn everything before you come, most of it you'll pick up as-and-when it becomes relevant.

It is a very good idea to work out at least broadly what sort of character you want to play before you come. Some will be easier than others but here's a few suggestions.
  • Warrior - you have a sword and shield, a decent amount of health and armour and you kill things. There are loads of different warrior classes like Rangers, Paladins or Budokas but a normal Warrior is probably the best for a first character.
  • Pathfinder, Assassin or Thug - you scout out in the dark, disarm traps (which will take 5 mins tuition to work out how to do, but it's not hard), in a fight you're best at flanking and jibbing monsters in the side or back. Thugs have a bit more life than the others, Assassins do a bit more damage, Pathfinders are more versatile than the other scout types. My first character was a Pathfinder and got on great with it.
  • Warlock - probably the easiest wizard class to start off with, since you only cast 'offensive' spells and have less to try and learn. You can also whale in with a sword when needed.
  • Pure priest or warrior/armoured priest - you cast miracles which can be cool. Providing healing is always awesome (assuming you're a goodly priest). Priests that aren't pure priests can also fight. There's other stuff you can do but I won't get into it right now.

If you have any questions feel free to ask on the forums. There are lots of people like me who have too much time on their hands who will happily answer anything you're not sure about.

--------------------
Craig H

it's better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Also Known as:

+Quote Post
DanM
post Mar 8 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #26

Post Police

Member No.: 38

QUOTE(Craigus17 @ Mar 8 2011, 04:47 PM) *
[*]Pathfinder, Assassin or Thug - you scout out in the dark, disarm traps (which will take 5 mins tuition to work out how to do, but it's not hard)

Easy to learn, difficult to master

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
abyatt
post Mar 8 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #27

Mercenary

Member No.: 3

QUOTE(Craigus17 @ Mar 8 2011, 04:47 PM) *
[*]Warlock - probably the easiest wizard class to start off with, since you only cast 'offensive' spells and have less to try and learn. You can also whale in with a sword when needed.

To be honest I'd say that warlock is a tough one to start with (the original supplemental handbook even included a warning that you shouldn't try one until you'd mastered both warrior and wizard). You have less life than a warrior, a really difficult metal allowance to deal with, and refs will have quite often have an expectation that you'll be "in there" as much as possible).

I'd suggest that if you're interested in starting as a wizard then I'd say play a wizard, pick a colour (and would suggest not grey for a first time) and just write out your spells on a piece of paper. Nobody will mind you reading spells for the first few times, and if you get a chance to learn a few then that's great.

Andy

--------------------
Damn I love muggles

+Quote Post
Craigus17
post Mar 8 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #28

Hero

Haha I'm trying to avoid giving you an information overload but may have made it worse lol.

--------------------
Craig H

Also Known as:

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #29

Group:

The one big system issue that takes time to learn, is working out which of the many people who offer you advice know what they're talking about, and which don't. ph34r.gif Number of posts made on these boards is not an indication of system knowledge, just of the ability to waffle a lot.

When in doubt, Wiffen's law applies - anyone who says "a bloke I met in a cave whose name I can't remember told me that <insert ability> does <insert thing>", is wrong.

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #30

Group:

It's funny how warrior priest is recommended, but warlock isn't. As a relatively new player myself, I'd avoid warrior priest too. I started as one and they're awesome at first, but they suffer from being in low life and being expected to get "stuck in" just like the warlock does. They're awesome for your first dungeon, but then it gets tricky to keep them up to par and if you join in a group of people then you might find yourself slipping behind. If you're okay to learn verbals and are happy get most of your exercise for the day running away from things, I'd go pure priest. If you do play a caster, wrap up warm. It's chilly down in the caves and you won't be doing the frantic fighting that keeps the warrior types toasty. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Mar 8 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #31

Viper

Member No.: 36

QUOTE(nerulean @ Mar 8 2011, 05:50 PM) *
It's funny how warrior priest is recommended, but warlock isn't. As a relatively new player myself, I'd avoid warrior priest too. I started as one and they're awesome at first, but they suffer from being in low life and being expected to get "stuck in" just like the warlock does. They're awesome for your first dungeon, but then it gets tricky to keep them up to par and if you join in a group of people then you might find yourself slipping behind. If you're okay to learn verbals and are happy get most of your exercise for the day running away from things, I'd go pure priest. If you do play a caster, wrap up warm. It's chilly down in the caves and you won't be doing the frantic fighting that keeps the warrior types toasty. wink.gif

This is very good advice.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jwiffen @ cisco.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
aaaarrrggh
post Mar 8 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #32

Heldsman

Member No.: 91

QUOTE(JulianW @ Mar 8 2011, 05:53 PM) *
This is very good advice.

Julian

yup Warrior priests are awful beyond the low level system, which these days you're out of very quickly, no idea why people keep insisting on recommending them to new players. Play Pure, Armoured or if you want to use a weapon Crusading priests only I reckon.

Henry

--------------------

+Quote Post
Godseed
post Mar 9 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #33

Heldsman

QUOTE(LucyH @ Mar 8 2011, 05:19 PM) *
Number of posts made on these boards is not an indication of system knowledge, just of the ability to waffle a lot.

And you know Lucy's right, she's the third most prolific poster on the boards! laugh.gif

QUOTE(LucyH @ Mar 8 2011, 05:19 PM) *
When in doubt, Wiffen's law applies - anyone who says "a bloke I met in a cave whose name I can't remember told me that <insert ability> does <insert thing>", is wrong.

I'm saving that.

--------------------
Ben
-==-
Also Sargon "Where have all the cakes gone?" of Cloud Way; Retterchen, the faerie mystic; and J.B., an unspecified scout subclass.
On an extended break from active caving while rebuilding a house, but still unable to resist delicious yellow paper speculation.

+Quote Post
Carlo
post Mar 9 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #34

Legend

Member No.: 119

QUOTE(Godseed @ Mar 9 2011, 07:44 AM) *
And you know Lucy's right, she's the third most prolific poster on the boards! laugh.gif
I'm saving that.

Yeah, but look at the highest poster... you can't say all (over) 6,000 of those posts are useful... :-) (Lucy's posts are brilliant, probably my most favourite to read that's for sure)

Carlo

+Quote Post
Godseed
post Mar 9 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #35

Heldsman

QUOTE(Carlo @ Mar 9 2011, 08:30 AM) *
Yeah, but look at the highest poster... you can't say all (over) 6,000 of those posts are useful... :-) (Lucy's posts are brilliant, probably my most favourite to read that's for sure)

I entirely agree on both counts...!

--------------------
Ben
-==-

+Quote Post
DanM
post Mar 9 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #36

Post Police

Member No.: 38

QUOTE(Carlo @ Mar 9 2011, 08:30 AM) *

Carlo

Not being useful /= not being correct.
Stop being passive aggressive Carlo...

--------------------
QUOTE(Helsvell @ Oct 19 2010, 07:29 AM) *
A one-man revolution against the world.

+Quote Post
Craigus17
post Mar 9 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #37

Hero

QUOTE(DanM @ Mar 9 2011, 02:26 PM) *
Not being useful /= not being correct.

Definitely agree with this.

--------------------
Craig H

Also Known as:

+Quote Post
doublethebass
post Mar 9 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #38

Militiaman

Member No.: 1,162

QUOTE(stripeydani @ Mar 8 2011, 03:30 PM) *
Sold, first character will be a Warrior biggrin.gif (It was the option of dual wielding that did it... It's the Dragon Age: Origins not wearing off yet...)

Dual wield is great fun and looks cool.. You can dish out damage quickly but it's not nearly ass defensive as a shield, in a long days fighting in dark tight spaces you will take a few hits. Personally I like 2 medium sized swords and a shield. Take a strap and use it to carry the shield on your back when you dual wield. Also I wouldn't recommend using swords that are too long as you can get really closed in sometimes and it can leave you flailing awkwardly.

Warrior is great fun, hope you enjoy..

Matt

+Quote Post
Pants
post Mar 9 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #39

Mercenary

Member No.: 148

First time and unless you are used to a high hit system would really recommend a shield and sword type first you can always go dual wield later on.

--------------------
- Pants

"Stop quoting laws to us, we carry swords!" Pompey the Great 82BC

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

Corrupting the youth since 1995!

+Quote Post
doublethebass
post Mar 9 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #40

Militiaman

Member No.: 1,162

QUOTE(Pants @ Mar 9 2011, 06:52 PM) *
First time and unless you are used to a high hit system would really recommend a shield and sword type first you can always go dual wield later on.

Agreed but personally I like to carry a spare sword. You can always practice you dual wield on a few easy zombies and get the feel for it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 02:46 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins