IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Monster Points - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monster Points, A Surgestion
post Jan 4 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I would like to make a suggestion.

You can use referee points to buy monster points but would it be worth considering making it possible to buy referee points with monster points.

1 referee points buys 5 monster points so as an idea allow people to buy a refereee for 20 monster points.

So there is still an added advantage to earning referee points over buying them but it would give another incentive for people to monster.

As I see it the only use of referee points apart from buying monster points is

1) " 1 ref point may be used to increase the level of a character below 8th level by 1" so to start a character at 8th with monster points would cost 160 points so monstering 4 times if you had pre-booked to monster. If you play the character once so its 6th level then it would only cost 40 monster points to raise it to 8th a days pre-booked monstering.

2) "1 ref point to recover 1 level lost for performing ‘off adventure’ tasks the same as half a days monstering if pre-booked which is what you would have earnt if you were playing

Just a thought

Mick
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Group:

QUOTE(oldmick @ Jan 4 2012, 04:07 PM) *
snip
1 ref point may be used to increase the level of a character below 8th level by 1[/i]" so to start a character at 8th with monster points would cost 160 points so snip

it actually costs 7 ref points to go straight 8th from 4th

+Quote Post
daork
post Jan 4 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,807

Surely i would cost 4 because you start at 4th

dan

--------------------
Dan Hunt

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 4 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Mercenary

Member No.: 259

Nope, if you red point up to 8th on the first time of playing you have to use 7 red points to do so. Odd but true. Means ref points are worth more though.

Andie

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
DaveR
post Jan 4 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #5

Hero

Member No.: 123

My concern with this would be it would undervalue what Referees get.

For all the stress, effort and hard work they put into a dungeon - they currently get the added 'perk' of being able to do something with ref points that non-referees can't - taking this away and making pretty much everyone have access to it - even at a higher cost as suggested - would IMO be a bad thing.

Bear in mind a Referee has to write the dungeon in advance, coordinate things on the day, and then do a debrief - and the monsters just have to turn up and play various parts. (I know this is a rather simplistic overview - but it's illustrates my point )

Let the Referees keep their added little perk - as a way of thanks for all the hard work they put into our hobby.

Dave
Not a Ref.

+Quote Post
cripple
post Jan 4 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Hero

Member No.: 686

the reason Reffs and a Reffs get reff points is because they are suposed to have enough system knowledge so that they wont need to play characters up through the Pre 8th system.

I know this is not what happens all the time due to people no showing or not enough booked monsters etc... but, according to the Referee Handbook, To become an assistant Refferee the player must have atleast 2000 points earned over 3 different classes (preferably different bracket) and at least 500 monster points. This is to just become an assistant Referee, and you need to pair up with an experienced reff to get training on how to become a reff on your own... so it takes alot if investment in the hobby to become a reff and to earn the privilage of earning reff points... so for those that have dont it that way and become a reff like this i don't think its fair to suddenly let monster points be turned into reff points.

Grant.

p.s. sorry for all the typos and spelling mistakes... my laptop screen and keyboard are dying on me.

--------------------
Grant.

i dOnT likE ThE iDea OF PeRmAnEnT... buT i hATe chAnGE!!

+Quote Post
Benson
post Jan 4 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #7

Hero

Member No.: 431

I like your thinking mick - but i pretty much agree with what Grant said.

the main problem with monsters (as far as i can see), there's plenty around, the hard part is getting people to commit before hand (work/partners/social etc). I know quite a few people who think - oh well if i dont get too drunk i will turn up on the day, it's not worth booking and then not turning up - as you may lose your booking priv's, oh wait....

I think the CMT has done loads to encourage monsters - with credits/MP'S etc - you don't see this in alot of other systems (apparently), but the only way i can see attracting people to book is something exclusive - to those who book, other than extra Cred's/MP's...

Rob.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2012, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Group:

I totally agree that refs and A-refs put a lot of hard work into writing and running the adventurers also I suspect the work they put in is in no way proportional to the rewards they get but there seems to be a continual problem getting people to book to monster.

The new “play to monster” idea is great but at the moment seems to have had a slow take up but its still early days.

The bonus for booking to monster is only 10 monster points and speaking from a personal point of view its not that great. It might be worth considering increasing the booking bonus to say double points if you book early which might encourage more people to book early. Allowing people to buy with monster points the extra advantages might make monster points more valuable there by encouraging the general levels of monstering to increase.

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jan 5 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #9

Deity

Member No.: 25

Actually Mick, currently there is no bonsu to booking in advance for monstering, it would seem sensible to perhaps introduce one given that the biggest problem is getting monsters to comit in advance and that those who do should be rewarded for doing so.

The 10pt bonus you refer to is actually the bonus for "Monstering all day" as opposed to monstering just a section .

Ref points were introduced to reward refs and a-refs, they have a hard enough job as it is. Monsters t monsters points and it should be kept that way to prevent an erosion of the benefit of Ref Points.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #10

Group:

QUOTE(abyatt @ Mar 15 2010, 05:12 PM) *
MONSTER POINTS

10 points are earned for each section monstered.
10 bonus points are earned for monstering an entire day.
10 bonus points are earned for booking to monster by Wednesday that week.

Fairly certain you do get a bonus 10 points for booking early

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 5 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #11

Mercenary

Member No.: 259

Yup there is a booking in advance bonus, it is only 10 monster points. But any bonus is a good one!

Andie

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jan 5 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #12

Deity

QUOTE(oldmick @ Jan 5 2012, 09:01 AM) *
Fairly certain you do get a bonus 10 points for booking early

Eek - I stand corrected smile.gif

And I've done the maths for that calculation hundreds of times! lol

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
AndrewBucknell
post Jan 6 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #13

Hero

Member No.: 95

Ian
is it not 10 pts per section (*2 for all day at pit or 3 for overland?)
then 10 for full day
then 10 for booking early
leading to 40 points for pit or 50 for overland?

Andrew

+Quote Post
BBB
post Jan 6 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #14

Deity

QUOTE(AndrewBucknell @ Jan 6 2012, 09:37 AM) *
Ian
is it not 10 pts per section (*2 for all day at pit or 3 for overland?)
then 10 for full day
then 10 for booking early
leading to 40 points for pit or 50 for overland?

Andrew

Yep,

Like I was saying I've done that calculation 100's possible thousands of times when giving out Monster points smile.gif

BBB

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:38 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins