IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Noob Feedback - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Noob Feedback, Making the system easier for the outsider
post Mar 6 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hi guys,

I know you're quite keen to hear from newbies about how you can make it easier for us to get into Labyrinthe, so I thought I'd offer a couple of suggestions on the publications.

Obviously, they need to be written in a reasonable amount of jargon, and a stubborn mite like me will be quite happy to persevere with this. I think quite a lot of people might have been put off by this though, and I do think that a beginners' guide would really benefit the club. Without meaning to sound rude, there are several bits that are ambiguous due to dodgy grammar* and this could be quite easily resolved and make the information more easily digestible.

I've also found several instances where skills have been described as having the same effect as another, from a different skill set. For example, I was reading through my Druid handbook last night, and one skill was claimed to be an EP-user version of a Wizard spell. There was no explanation of what this actually meant, so in order to fully understand the Druid handbook, one must cross-reference with the Wizards' handbook. To an experienced player this might be fine, but as someone struggling to get to grips with the system in its most basic form this is a real nuisance. It would be fab if you could look at putting descriptions in full, rather than requiring the reader to cross reference.

Furthermore, the idea of cross-referencing skills between handbooks is only possible if you actually have all of the handbooks. If we need to constantly hop between publications to make sense of what is meant by the one we wish to play, can I advise that you look in to some way of making it easier to complete the set? I know you said that to publish the entire catalogue in one document was not feasible, and I can certainly see why, but why not consider selling a copy of each class's handbook in a bumper pack for a slightly lower price? I've decided to pick and choose as I can only play non-combat characters, but had a complete set been available I would certainly have favoured that. I like complete sets, me.

Finally, something that would be really useful would be something along the lines of a concordance, which need only be the contents lists from each publication in one volume, which would allow the new user to find all of the information much more easily. For example, I was wondering about whether it would be possible to play a Ranger if I could use long-distance weapons, so bought the Druid handbook to find out. Of course, Rangers are covered in the Warrior's handbook but I had no way of knowing this until I had already purchased the Druid handbook, by which point I figured that I probably couldn't, and gave up trying. I still don't know whether I actually can.

None of this is meant to be miserable and grumpy; it is all meant to be constructive feedback from someone struggling to get my head around the system and hope that it will be taken as such.

Sally xx

*Sorry, grammar is what I do. I'm always happy to help proof-reading and translating almost to Crystal Mark standard. I know I'm not there today, but my brain is frozen and I got very little sleep last night. Long story.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
post Mar 25 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

Actually, one extremely important piece of information I never got told was that you have to call your damage grades when attacking. I still don't remember ever actually reading that anywhere.

Agreeing with BBB, there seems to be a lot of rules that I've heard from people that don't seem to be written down anywhere. For instance, I've been told that when attacking it is optional to apply your weapon masteries but you must always apply grades of strength. Definitely haven't read that anywhere and I'm certain I've read every publication there is apart from realm of glass.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head but I'm sure there are plenty. Maybe something else for Ben's wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Ezrekia   Noob Feedback   Mar 6 2011, 03:37 PM
Godseed   I think the quirky grammar, spelling, and um - lab...   Mar 6 2011, 03:51 PM
StuartEaston   It would probably be considered quite difficult to...   Mar 6 2011, 04:01 PM
BBB   There is a simple reason why the books refer to ea...   Mar 6 2011, 06:15 PM
Ezrekia   I think the quirky grammar, spelling, and um - lab...   Mar 6 2011, 08:21 PM
BBB   Okay, I can see that. In which case, can I suggest...   Mar 7 2011, 12:52 PM
Onasuma   Rangers are covered in the Warrior's handbook ...   Mar 6 2011, 09:20 PM
nerulean   Which kind of goes along with Sally's point th...   Mar 6 2011, 09:43 PM
BBB   Which kind of goes along with Sally's point th...   Mar 7 2011, 12:55 PM
Godseed   Back in my day they didn't have indices. I sp...   Mar 7 2011, 12:59 PM
BBB   Full points for you, sir! Yeah, I got fed up ...   Mar 7 2011, 01:30 PM
Craigus17   Ask at the desk. I remember when I hadn't bee...   Mar 6 2011, 10:47 PM
Carlo   <Ask at the desk. I remember when I hadn't...   Mar 7 2011, 11:33 AM
BBB   You'll find the Desk staff pretty helpful at e...   Mar 6 2011, 11:14 PM
Godseed   Guys: while it does work, "you should ask som...   Mar 7 2011, 09:52 AM
BBB   Guys: while it does work, "you should ask som...   Mar 7 2011, 12:58 PM
Ezrekia   You could always have asked someone what book they...   Mar 7 2011, 11:03 AM
LucyH   I appreciate that it can be incredibly complex a...   Mar 7 2011, 11:16 AM
Craigus17   Aha, good to know. See, nobody tells me these thin...   Mar 7 2011, 11:24 AM
Ezrekia   actually, this is all written in the handbook and ...   Mar 7 2011, 11:37 AM
OxMatt   What Sally said. Indeed, the situation is still s...   Mar 7 2011, 11:07 AM
DanM   P.S. Sally - the only thing I'd disagree with ...   Mar 7 2011, 11:12 AM
Ezrekia   P.S. Sally - the only thing I'd disagree with ...   Mar 7 2011, 11:13 AM
DanM   It's again a feeling like being a fish out of ...   Mar 7 2011, 11:17 AM
Jasper   The Handbook contains pretty much everything you n...   Mar 7 2011, 11:28 AM
Jan   monolithic (cyclopean? noneuclidean?) game system....   Mar 7 2011, 01:21 PM
Jasper   Tetrascopal? You got a skill for that? :) ...   Mar 7 2011, 01:59 PM
Godseed   <Ask at the desk. I remember when I hadn't...   Mar 7 2011, 11:58 AM
Craigus17   I'd just like to clarify, 'dealing' is...   Mar 7 2011, 12:01 PM
Godseed   But it does have all the information that you are ...   Mar 7 2011, 12:06 PM
LucyH   Guys, before you demand a new basic handbook, plea...   Mar 7 2011, 12:18 PM
Godseed   Er, I would. I have to get the wiki up first, thou...   Mar 7 2011, 12:39 PM
BBB   First off, It's always good to get comments f...   Mar 7 2011, 12:49 PM
nerulean   There was mention of the newbies guide being resur...   Mar 7 2011, 02:35 PM
PhilB   This thread is entirely a good thing (from CMT per...   Mar 7 2011, 03:06 PM
LucyH   Something I remember coming up in discussion a whi...   Mar 8 2011, 02:43 PM
OxMatt   Good idea. A few 'example' templates of ch...   Mar 8 2011, 02:51 PM
dalesuv   Iv not been around for long (about a year) and fou...   Mar 8 2011, 04:38 PM
DanM   For magic Learn the difference between xxx Blast ...   Mar 8 2011, 04:46 PM
Hulud   I'm inclined to agree with everything Sally ha...   Mar 24 2011, 11:33 AM
Hulud   I'm inclined to agree with everything Sally ha...   Mar 25 2011, 09:14 AM
LucyH   And while were at it, the glossary of local langua...   Mar 25 2011, 09:16 AM
Carlo   And while were at it, the glossary of local langua...   Mar 25 2011, 09:17 AM
Craigus17   Actually, one extremely important piece of informa...   Mar 25 2011, 05:49 PM
nerulean   One thing that I remember from being brand spankin...   Mar 25 2011, 10:03 PM
Ezrekia   I monstered for a new group recently and none of t...   Mar 25 2011, 10:22 PM
MorZak   Mostly when you are getting killed people dont com...   May 9 2011, 01:38 PM
Salamander   Just as an aside, I remember back when I was 11 an...   Jul 23 2011, 08:20 PM
NickMonsterSands   re Post 8th stuff: Has anyone put together a sprea...   Jul 25 2011, 04:42 PM
marwoodbramwell   OK, interesting thread. Some thoughts as a player ...   Nov 28 2011, 08:09 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:00 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins