IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Symbol of Faith - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Symbol of Faith
Carlo
post Apr 15 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 119

The Faith of Dead Heroes is one which is growing strongly, across the empire and across the mercenary community. It is pleasing to see so many of you out there, looking after the people, defending them and the Land on which they live, and serving the Empress herself.

I think, after a faith that started out small, and a faith based on the order of monks within the Brandins who collated and held the stories of those gone before, growing to what it is today, it is time we created a symbol of faith.

Our faith teaches a large degree of variety, and diversity. We each channel different powers, different spirits and call on different Heroes to achieve what needs to be done.

I am looking for suggestions, as to what a symbol of our faith could be. Such that the many within our Church can wear with pride and glory.

One of my initial thoughts, is possibly, a book with some sort of insignia on it. Perhaps, a book with a sword and shield motif?

What do people think?

For the Land, For the People, For the Empire.

Andric
High Priest
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ethuil
post Apr 15 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Plot Dump NPC

Member No.: 495

Lots of other faiths and houses and all sorts have books and swords, sir. It's not all that original if you don't mind my saying, though I suppose that's not a bad thing per se. Not to mention that not all our heroes are the martial sort. The shield also does rather make the assumption that all of our members are the Knightly sort, which I don't think is the case.

A quill, maybe, would be a nice way of getting the scribing sort of theme into it without treading on the toes of other heraldry.

Aoife

--------------------
- Rebecca

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 15 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Viper

Member No.: 36

Andric

I think you are on the right lines with a book, as the collation of tales is something many of us do already.

Not sure about the sword and shield, for two reasons - first, while a great number of our faith are also knights of the land, we should not confuse the symbology of the two and second, one of the misconceptions people often have of the faith is that we revere only the heroism of mighty warriors, when in fact there are many forms of heroism worth recording. I could be persuaded otherwise however.

Aramis

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jmw451 @ gmail.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
post Apr 15 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Group:
Member No.: 0

QUOTE(ethuil @ Apr 15 2010, 03:32 PM) *
Lots of other faiths and houses and all sorts have books and swords, sir. It's not all that original if you don't mind my saying, though I suppose that's not a bad thing per se. Not to mention that not all our heroes are the martial sort. The shield also does rather make the assumption that all of our members are the Knightly sort, which I don't think is the case.

A quill, maybe, would be a nice way of getting the scribing sort of theme into it without treading on the toes of other heraldry.

Aoife

Books and swords are very common.
How about a skull (for dead) and banner (for heroes) instead?

Or a crystal representing Her Glorious Imperial Majesty supported by a chained angel and abashai, showing both good and evil subservient to the will of the Empire?

Lirael.

+Quote Post
giles
post Apr 15 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Legend

Member No.: 68

I thought it was the one armed soldier, Milo - but I like the skull & banner (sounds like a good name for a tavern)

Caiaphas

+Quote Post
Carlo
post Apr 15 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Legend

QUOTE(LucyH @ Apr 15 2010, 03:40 PM) *
Books and swords are very common.
How about a skull (for dead) and banner (for heroes) instead?

Or a crystal representing Her Glorious Imperial Majesty supported by a chained angel and abashai, showing both good and evil subservient to the will of the Empire?

Lirael.

I think these various responses just go to show what a wide rang of things fit our beliefs.

I'm not so keen on any sort of theme involving skulls. I know it is just a representation of death, but still they don't sit too well with me.

I quite like the idea of the Crystal with the Angel and Abishai, but as much as the faith is very much strongly linked to the Empire, the Tales of whom we tell aren't always ones involved as such.

A Book with a Crystal emblem?

Keep the ideas coming.

Andric

+Quote Post
Carlo
post Apr 15 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #7

Legend

QUOTE(giles @ Apr 15 2010, 03:48 PM) *
I thought it was the one armed soldier, Milo - but I like the skull & banner (sounds like a good name for a tavern)

Caiaphas

I'm ideally looking for some sort of symbol. St Michael have their cross, Sheahan the Dove, Elbereth the eight pointed star, etc.

Some sort of symbol relating to the common solider would be fitting.

Andric

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 15 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Viper

Don't forget there is room for more than one symbol.

Aramis

--------------------

+Quote Post
evilwizard
post Apr 15 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #9

Militiaman

Member No.: 78

QUOTE(ethuil @ Apr 15 2010, 03:32 PM) *

Aoife

Any symbol would do. as along as its distinctive enough.

all of these comes to mind when trying to think of a picture of the Church

A scroll and quill depicting a list of names, on a large busy looking desk.
The Imperial eagel with crossed swords behind it.
A camp fire and yound and old gathered round it.
A rough grave like mound of earth with a worn sword sticking out of it and perhaps a few flowers and the dented helm.
A battlefeild in light fog and the last vertran slumped on their knees proping themselves up by the spear/sword as they breath and final breath.

personally I think something simple and easy to draw for the less than artistic.

simple is the key. doesn't have to sum up the faith in one artistic picture, the legions all seam to have simple shapes to represent them.

A silver Imperial arrow on a black triangle on a white shield. would be quite simple.

Evanderial Wraith Von Rothril

--------------------
In AD&D 1st Edition the spell "Mount" should only ever be used as a seige weapon....

+Quote Post
ethuil
post Apr 15 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #10

Plot Dump NPC

Member No.: 495

QUOTE(Carlo @ Apr 15 2010, 03:51 PM) *
I'm ideally looking for some sort of symbol. St Michael have their cross, Sheahan the Dove, Elbereth the eight pointed star, etc.

Some sort of symbol relating to the common solider would be fitting.

Andric

A footprint?

Aoife

--------------------
- Rebecca

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Apr 15 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Legend

Member No.: 52

A Head stone with an open book upon its face.

Kessel.

--------------------
Gordon Court
Port Miere business: portmierecitycouncil@gmail.com
Known to play: Amorphus, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2009: Amorphus, Ash, Cyric, Godstone, Kessel, Prowl, Mithaniel, Radiant, Raven, Strale, Void & Vorell
Cast of 2010: Amorphus, Aqueous, Blaen, Godstone, Hex, Kessel, Mithaniel, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Vanderlaine & Void
Cast of 2011: Cyric, Hex & Prowl
Cast of 2012: Kessel
Cast of 2013: Amorphus, Golgari, Kessel, Marimar, Radiant, Strale & "Terry"
Cast of 2014: Amorphus, Hex, Godstone, Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Radiant & Strale
Cast of 2015: Amorphus, Karador, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2016: Zaton
Cast of 2017: Amorphus, Equinox, Godstone, Golgari, Hex, Karador, Prowl, Radiant, Variel & Zaton
Cast of 2018: Amorphus, Despair, Equinox, Golgari, Karador, Lannary, Prowl, Templeton, Vanderlaine, Void & Zaton
Cast of 2019: Amorphus, Despair, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Prowl, Radiant & Zaton
Cast of 2020: Amorphus, Isamaru, Karador, Kodai No Ha, Lannary, Radiant, Strale & Zaton
Cast of 2021: Amorphus, Grizzled Wolf, Isamaru, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2022: Golgari, Ink-Eyes, Lannary, Leovold, Prowl, Radiant, Shadowmoss, Strale, Wrynn & Zaton
Cast of 2023: Isamaru, Leovold, Numai, Radiant & Zaton

+Quote Post
post Apr 15 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Group:

book and quill maybe too simple
minotaur - like in the first story would be good and easy

church of glass have crystal already

Beliah
ley

+Quote Post
Rob
post Apr 15 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #13

Legend

Member No.: 115

The Church already has a symbol

The Broken Sword

It represents the anonymous dead soldier on the field, the desperate fight, the common man and death.

However

That is not to stop individual priests with individual dead patrons from using symbols for them - in fact it is encouraged. Symbols help the common man remember where the written word is often beyond them

The Elders

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheOG
post Apr 15 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #14

Mercenary

Member No.: 964

Allow me to make a suggestion, even though I am taking my leave of the faith.

I suggest a Reliquary. I am sure that there is a common enough design within the Empire that would present the faith succinctly.

May your prayers be answered

Bauchelain

--------------------
Mark V, Aka OG.

Making Middle-age look easy since 2003
Bet you wish your girlfriend was hot like me..

don’t chaaaa!

+Quote Post
aaaarrrggh
post Apr 15 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #15

Heldsman

Member No.: 91

How about a sand timer symbolising that despite the passage of time we never forget.

LJT

--------------------
Henry

+Quote Post
TimTreadwell
post Apr 15 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #16

Legend

Member No.: 155

Personally I'd like something simple... like a particular coloured scarf... worn round the neck, on a belt, arm... whatever. It means that I don't have to put the symbol on all my gear.

I saw some great "Skulls with red roses" material the other day.

Thorn.
(ooc - it would save dedicating costume to one character entirely. Tim.)

+Quote Post
Carlo
post Apr 16 2010, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Legend

QUOTE(TimTreadwell @ Apr 15 2010, 11:40 PM) *
Personally I'd like something simple... like a particular coloured scarf... worn round the neck, on a belt, arm... whatever. It means that I don't have to put the symbol on all my gear.

I saw some great "Skulls with red roses" material the other day.

Thorn.
(ooc - it would save dedicating costume to one character entirely. Tim.)

Thanks all for your input, it has certainly been interesting to see the sheer volume of ideas.

I wasn't aware we already had a symbol as such, so apologies. I should probably know better but no one else knew so I don't feel too awful.

I am now thinking, maybe a book with a broken sword on it?

Thorn, I like your idea of something simple, like a particular coloured scarf or some such, but I will let all these ideas sink in a little before making a decision.

Luther, I am unsure about the hourglass, but only due to it being the symbol of one of our foes within the Land of Legend.

If any more ideas arise, keep them coming Ladies and Gentlemen.

Andric
High Priest

+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #18

Group:

QUOTE(Carlo @ Apr 16 2010, 08:34 AM) *
Luther, I am unsure about the hourglass, but only due to it being the symbol of one of our foes within the Land of Legend.

OOC: A white hourglass on green is the heraldry of House Natal.

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Apr 16 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #19

Viper

Traditional symbols of courage include

Lion
Unicorn
A Cockerel
A Hound
Spear or Lance

Aramis

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #20

Group:

I reckon that lad Thorn has the right idea. Some sorta scarf or sash, proberly red (looks like blood o' the fallen dunnit).

Course, havin' a proper symbol ain't an issue...we could 'ave both. Evry faithful wears a red scarf/sash fing an' the church symbol can be worn if people wanna, or flown on banners from the churches.

Saul Goode
Armoured priest of the watch.
Knight

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins