IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Forces of Ruin - Mercenary Response Needed - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forces of Ruin - Mercenary Response Needed, OOC: Brief for 9th November Themeday
SamR
post Oct 10 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Heldsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

To the Mercenary Community

As you will no doubt be aware the forces of Ruin and their associated agents the Cult of Nightmares/Order of Dreams represent a significant and ongoing threat to the supernatural stability of Primus. As such, the Inquisition has been taking steps to investigate this threat further and organise a coordinated response.

I will share the following report so that everyone’s perspective can be bought up to date prior to any further discussion:

Sir,

I am filing this report as a matter of urgency. My name is Captain Holdfast, I am stationed in Scarlene and have been responsible for numerous mercenary hires over the past decade.

Most recently I have been pursuing an investigation into the Cult of Nightmares/Order of Dreams. These are essentially one and the same organisation it seems, going by different names. Perhaps to sow some confusion? Unsure.

I was concerned having linked up reports from a number of mercenary missions recently, and over the past years. When the Dreaming Ritual was disrupted it was reported repeatedly that its power had been stolen to fuel... something. Numerous Nagrech shards were reported to have been stolen, and even more recently there were reports of a mercenary group that had travelled to a barren plane where it appeared that it had been mined of some form of substance that it was hypothesised was part of the process required to create Nagrech. There were also reports that a Throne had been mentioned in a communication within the Order of Dreams, and visions had been reported from previous missions to help restore the dreaming ritual about a Throne in the south. This was several years ago and I am surprised that the concern was not picked up then.

As is the way of things, much is shielded from scrying, but we know that the Cult/Order work for Ruin, the pseudonym for an old God whose true name holds terrible power that exists in a plane that was sealed off by the Sharmyn dynasty many many years ago, in a cataclysmic event on their secundal realm that caused their people to arrive on Primus, tainted with Ruins power.

Ruin is a creature of destruction and hate, and has few goals beyond the bringing of that misery wherever it goes. Primus is, of course, its primary target.

The Cult/Order have been working to break down the barrier into its world to bring Ruin through to us. I have done some more traditional, boots on the ground information gathering and have gleaned the following through interrogation of various cult members we have apprehended.

- My suspicions are correct. The Cult have been working for the past 4 or 5 years in gathering the required materials and rituals to be able to create a second Throne.

- The purpose of this is not to seize control of Primus, or faith, but simply to create a mystic event of such a catastrophic nature that it tears a way into Ruin's realm in the most brutal and damaging way possible. My understanding, and I am no expert, is that the creation of a second Throne would be such an event.

- The immediate impact of the success in this would be the dramatic reduction of Primal Strength across the whole of Primus. In somewhere like Halgar where it is already weak, this would be unthinkably devastating.

- The long term impact would be that Ruin's forces would pour through from that location and begin to spread across our world. Of particular concern would be the Faroth, who we know are extremely resistant if not impervious to anything other than the Sharmyn weapons, which I understand the faith of St Michael and Sirac have had a hand in reforging?

- I have not yet gleaned a specific location, but based on previous information we can assume that it is in the southern Baronies, where Primal strength is already weak. It may be that you wish to liaise with the Circle on this matter.

- I have also gleaned a date, 9th Novaus, for when the ritual/Throne will be completed.

I will continue to investigate, and I am confident more information will be available in the coming weeks, but if I may be so bold I strongly recommend ensuring that there are a range of mercenary groups available to deal with this threat on this date.

With respect

Captain Holdfast

As you will see from the above, the situation is extremely grave. The creation of a ‘second Throne’ and the subsequent impact on Primal fabric and strength will likely be catastrophic if left unopposed.

As such, I would urge any mercenaries who wish to avoid such a situation to plan to be available on the 9th Novaus. It is likely, as per the above report, that our enemies will chose a location in the Baronies to enact this action. I have discussed this matter with the Circle and they have agreed to issue and support the hire in conjunction with the Empire. As such, for those who are motivated by grulls – payment for the day will be six thousand grulls. We will release further and more specific information on location nearer the actual day but please do start to make preparations for travel.

Regards

Apathy
Lord Inquisitor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SamR
post Oct 31 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Heldsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

Greetings

The Inquisition has received further updates regarding this threat from Captain Holdfast, which provides further insight into what will be needed on the day and what mercenaries should be prepared to face and counter:

Dear Apathy,

I report following updated information from the Tuesday hire last week. I have taken a few days to corroborate the information and ensure that it is legitimate.

The Cult of Ruin have been developing a cave system in Alunkhand for several years. Its exact location will not be discernible until 9th Novaus when their ritual wards are lowered enough to allow the power they intend to release to be most free to flow out, but also exposing weakness.

The system is divided into two layers. The first is a physical cave structure that we will be able to force entry into once the location is divined. I would expect fierce resistance. Our informant disclosed that once inside we would be able to establish a beach head in a location that will have been secured as *relatively* safe by surviving members of the Sharmyn dynasty within the structure, from which the mercenary forces will be able to strike out and gather a number of fragments of a ritual that can be used to unlock the way into the second level which is single room, containing the "danger Throne", which in turn is also sealed away by ritual wards. From that room our understanding is that there are a number of pocket planes that can be accessed, possibly even ways into Ruin's home plane itself where key fragments can be gathered to create access into the Throne Room. Following this the Throne itself can be dealt with.

I do not think we will be able to discern much further information before the day. Key questions we have sought answers to and failed on are matters such as "What happens if you sit on the Throne?" and "Where are these pocket planes?".

We are ready to set up camp in extremely close proximity to the cave entrance as soon as its location is revealed, say by ten o'clock in the morning (time faff in the tavern) with the cave entrance expected to become vulnerable at 10:30 (full time in).

Good luck, and I hope to be present on the day to provide information and support if needed.

Captain Holdfast

As per my missive a couple of weeks ago, the creation of this 'Second Throne' by the forces of Ruin is the most significant and imminent, known threat currently facing the Empire and the wider realm of Primus.

Apathy
Lord Inquisitor

OOC - Will is now accepting pre-dungeon comms.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins