IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
LARP Safety - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> LARP Safety, a vague idea
MattWest
post Jul 6 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 653

I wonder whether it might be worthwhile creating some sort of LARP safety network across the country as a whole. What I mean is if the CMT were to get in touch with other LARP groups across the country and put in place some kind of documented monitoring system for LARP safety / knowledge-sharing system for LARP safety. We all know Laby is teh awesome but when it comes to safety collective knowledge is invaluable.

The reason I mention it is because I'm wondering if such a thing could be useful when dealing with insurers as well as for safety reasons. Of course it could become a double-edged sword if a liability issue ever arose - it could be relied on to say "we're safe because we did XYZ" or to say "you're not safe because you didn't do XYZ" etc. It all depends very much on the facts of each situation I suppose. And it could be a double-edged sword dealing with insurers too, make no mistake about it. But safety standards are important.

I can also appreciate that if overdone a LARP safety network could be enormously time-consuming and the CMT have their hands more than full juggling full-time Laby responsibilities with actual gainful employment.

However I think for the future of the hobby as a long-term option it might be a good idea. I wonder what others think?

Things that could be shared could be info on for example:-

1. official policy on phys-repping of unarmed blows
2. *style* of phys-repping unarmed blows [precisely how are the blows struck and how are they aimed]
3. official policy on weapon phys reps, practical issues surrounding weapon checks etc.
4. policy on and style of weapon blows
5. policy on bows (e.g. not used in confined dimly lit spaces; maximum draw)
6. policy on crossbows
7. policy on throwing weapons (no core)
8. policy on shields and shield use
9. no grappling etc.
10. practical measures regarding situations where characters cannot see
11. safety calls
12. fire exits, uneven surfaces, etc.
13. logging frequency and nature of safety incidents
14. other

I have to stress that this COULD be a double-edged sword. However ethically I think that it is something that the hobby OUGHT to be doing. It would show how seriously we all take player safety. Everyone would be devastated if anyone suffered a serious injury in LARP. I've never seen such though playing a LARP in Durham I did once give someone a bloody nose by accident because their unarmed combat system is to strike fake blows which don't connect... and he moved forward just as I did my (fairly light) fake blow which connected straight with his nose (in the dark). I have never seen anything like that happen in Laby from unarmed combat possibly because our unarmed combat style is less theatrical and more pragmatic. We just get on with the business of light taps rather than curling hands into fake fists etc. I prefer our system and it seems safer to me. Also it's rather silly to have brawls where blows don't connect at all. [Laby can be a teensy bit risky due to cave surfaces and darkness but that's a more specific Laby thing and we all have to be a bit careful.]

Well, it's just a thought; I don't know what's already in place if anything but I've never heard of any such network existing in any formal sense and I think it ought to, to include all boffer-LARP systems throughout the UK (in due course) so that everyone can be given some kind of reassurance as to safety standards. I think the Laby standards are very good and Laby can lead from the front but this is about safety for all LARPers and the secure future of our hobby.

It may be that now is not yet the time for such an initiative but if so perhaps it could be reconsidered in future.

Cheers

Matt

--------------------

OOC:- Matt West

IC:- A. bin Razil of the Carrion Scavengers Hetyan (Ishmaic Onyx Wizard and Knight of the Land, suitable for a Max 1500); Yosh (monastically trained knife-thrower, suitable for a Max 2k, semi-retired); Hassan bin Kassim of the Perished Sands Hetyan (mage, suitable for a Max 1500); Haram of the Blackened Bones Hetyan (please smile for the crazy evil witch!) (suitable for a Max 750); Flaig (Pilgrim of the Forge, around the 500 mark, played on Borderwatch guild specials); "Murk" ('the Mercenary formerly known as "Sunflower"') (as featured in Primal Times No. 24) ("suitable" for a Max 1K, allegedly); Sahra bin Flambo of the Placid Waters Hetyan (290 points of fire and spear, plus any monster points; "Sahra" means "Desert"); various others

A longer version of this post is available on request.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
MattWest   LARP Safety   Jul 6 2009, 10:53 AM
JulianW   Matt, why do you need everything written down and ...   Jul 6 2009, 11:17 AM
ChrisAndrews   If it's really needed feel free to use these r...   Jul 6 2009, 11:28 AM
DanM   4) Apply Common Sense to situations This   Jul 6 2009, 11:53 AM
Stuart   I don’t think there’s a need to go beyond the ...   Jul 6 2009, 11:26 AM
MattWest   I'm not for one moment criticising the safety ...   Jul 6 2009, 12:19 PM
duncanmatthias   Chris, you forgot rule 7, dont take the....... ...   Jul 6 2009, 12:24 PM
MattWest   By the way, it doesn't have to result in unive...   Jul 6 2009, 12:30 PM
ChrisAndrews   Who would organise such a conference/schmeme given...   Jul 6 2009, 12:37 PM
MattWest   Who would organise such a conference/schmeme given...   Jul 6 2009, 01:22 PM
LucyH   I think there are two things you are failing to ta...   Jul 6 2009, 12:51 PM
JackFlashblade   Safety is rubbish! C   Jul 6 2009, 01:11 PM
MattJ   I can see what you're driving at but I don...   Jul 6 2009, 02:59 PM
Bruno   Jan might remember details about the old Adventure...   Jul 6 2009, 03:37 PM
Jan   Jan might remember details about the old Adventure...   Jul 6 2009, 07:54 PM
MattWest   It's just about communication and know-how rea...   Jul 6 2009, 03:53 PM
TheOG   Re-enactment groups pay a premium insurance rate, ...   Jul 6 2009, 03:55 PM
Jasper   I imagine MattJ already replied to this so he prob...   Jul 6 2009, 06:56 PM
Jan   There was an organisation called Paladin back in t...   Jul 6 2009, 07:51 PM
MattWest   I expect that was fun!!!   Jul 6 2009, 08:04 PM
MattJ   Jasper, I re-read my post and I referred to LARP ...   Jul 7 2009, 08:53 AM
Jasper   Jasper, I re-read my post and I referred to LARP ...   Jul 7 2009, 09:15 AM
LucyH   Serious answer: 1) How much would this cost? 2) H...   Jul 7 2009, 10:36 AM
Rob   I think it comes down to 2 words Matt Common Sens...   Jul 7 2009, 10:51 AM
Stevelouch   I think it comes down to 2 words Matt Common Sens...   Jul 7 2009, 06:49 PM
abyatt   Unfortunately if you get a group of LRP systems to...   Jul 7 2009, 10:31 AM
maxmcnally   I think it comes down to 2 words Matt Common Sens...   Jul 7 2009, 02:40 PM
Salamander   You do know that our special forces soldiers are n...   Jul 7 2009, 03:45 PM
TimTreadwell   H&S??? You should see all the antibacterial h...   Jul 7 2009, 07:25 PM
MattWest   Enough has been said on the orginal topic but just...   Jul 8 2009, 12:20 AM
Pants   BLOODY LIBERALS! It is due to people like you ...   Jul 8 2009, 09:32 AM
MattWest   DAMN YOU, you have revealed my evil plan! From...   Jul 8 2009, 11:30 AM
Jasper   Weapon blows are still allowed provided that they ...   Jul 8 2009, 11:36 AM
aaronlakin   if there's bruises people need to take it easy...   Jul 9 2009, 04:35 PM
TimTreadwell   Reminds me of the great Mitchell & Webb sketch...   Jul 9 2009, 05:40 PM
EdBush   Reminds me of the great Mitchell & Webb sketch...   Jul 9 2009, 09:54 PM
Webof   ............................................______...   Jul 10 2009, 11:16 AM
MattWest   I wasn't actually ever really talking about se...   Jul 13 2009, 05:15 PM
maxmcnally   Piccard's ability to facepalm is legendary. :)   Jul 14 2009, 06:37 AM
Jan   Piccard's ability to facepalm is legendary. :)...   Jul 14 2009, 06:51 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:59 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins