> Returning player from waaaaay back looking for Priest advice
atem55
post May 18 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,528

Hi,

I'm booked on my first adventure for a VERY long time on the 4th June and am looking for some advice for a, probably Warrior Priest. I've previously played a Half-Orc Shamen, Crusading Priest, and Spirit Warrior.

At the moment i have a few (!) directions!

I'm looking for something fairly militant, with some ability to heal preferably, and after a look through Divine Guidance (I don't have any of the new books yet) I'm thinking of a WP of St Michael or possibly Mortai?

I also wondered if anything would fit into the concept of a 'Death Priest' not necromantic/raising based but more dealing with the passage of spirits after they have died? Black sun seemed quite similar but i wasn't sure if they are playable? or what the miracle lists looked like? And I'm guessing they also don't have any healing ability, which probably doesn't fit with the concept anyway...

Finally, the possibility of a Guardian of the Balance, but i'm not sure if I would be better served playing a straight warrior priest and designing my own miracle list?

Decisions?! Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome!

Carl

--------------------
Cathbad Dannan - Primal Soul (Snake) Druid - 440pts
Trellis D'Tarn - Warrior Priest of The Lady of Stars and Skies - 6th
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Orlock
post May 18 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Levy

Member No.: 3,807

Welcome back Carl, when was the last time you were down - were characters started at 1st or 4th as they are now ?

--------------------
James

Things forbidden have a secret charm.

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 18 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

QUOTE(Orlock @ May 18 2017, 07:37 PM) *
Welcome back Carl, when was the last time you were down - were characters started at 1st or 4th as they are now ?

1st smile.gif the rulebook i had was with the guy in jeans and tshirt, golden shield and the Winja in the back smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JonMace
post May 18 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Militiaman

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(atem55 @ May 18 2017, 07:45 PM) *
1st smile.gif the rulebook i had was with the guy in jeans and tshirt, golden shield and the Winja in the back smile.gif

Still lots of us that remember those days, when 8th level characters were very rare and 1st - 4th was the norm

+Quote Post
Orlock
post May 18 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Levy

Member No.: 3,807

Ah the Winja... thankfully, these dont exist and psi scouts, beserkers are a thing of the past !

So, a couple of things...

01. You now start characters at level 4 - this should assist when you work out mircale lists
02. Your old characters are still valid if you have them
03. First dungeon is half price (£20)
04. No height restrictions for Dwarfs although the beard is a must - so you could roll a Dwarf Warror Priest who are pretty stonking
05. The original rules and expansions have now been split into a few A4 sized books which you can pick up at the desk
06. The concept of lows, mids and highs doesnt really exist now - its either pre 8th and then 8th 250 points 8th 500 points etc etc
07. Gear, if available, can be provided on your first visit from the Armoury
08. The class restrictions of old (such as Anti Paladins and Warlocks) have gone, although you still have 'outlaw' classes
09. You would expect to level up two levels per attendance so level 8 after two visits and then its a points grind and spend ;-)
10. Monstering earns you other points and goodies which you can use on your characters - we're always looking for monsters :-)

I returned after a 20 year gap too and apart from a smaller layout of caves, its pretty much unchanged - some familiar faces still attend and the system and rules havent changed much as all... you will recognise the system so dont be daunted.

Your guild choices are very good and they both have different benefits now which you can use.

You can download the basic handbook from the main site - but should you have any specific questions about stats etc then please ask.

--------------------
James

Things forbidden have a secret charm.

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 18 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Apprentice

Is it possible to get some information in advance of getting the new books about designing a miracle list, in case i dont go for an established church? I think it must have been in the old book when i did the list for my shamen?

Does anyone have any details of the Black Sun lists? or can point me in the direction of someone to contact?

Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post
JonMace
post May 18 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Militiaman

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(atem55 @ May 18 2017, 08:35 PM) *
Is it possible to get some information in advance of getting the new books about designing a miracle list, in case i dont go for an established church? I think it must have been in the old book when i did the list for my shamen?

Does anyone have any details of the Black Sun lists? or can point me in the direction of someone to contact?

Carl

Things have changed a great deal and not so much at the same time

I would go for an established church if playing a priest type, most of the will give you some buffs.

But if you really want to venture alone then it is down the old rules and being a hermit priest or a Grey warden an designing your own list with 60 spirits

+Quote Post
BBB
post May 18 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(atem55 @ May 18 2017, 07:14 PM) *
Hi,

I'm booked on my first adventure for a VERY long time on the 4th June and am looking for some advice for a, probably Warrior Priest. I've previously played a Half-Orc Shamen, Crusading Priest, and Spirit Warrior.

At the moment i have a few (!) directions!

I'm looking for something fairly militant, with some ability to heal preferably, and after a look through Divine Guidance (I don't have any of the new books yet) I'm thinking of a WP of St Michael or possibly Mortai?

I also wondered if anything would fit into the concept of a 'Death Priest' not necromantic/raising based but more dealing with the passage of spirits after they have died? Black sun seemed quite similar but i wasn't sure if they are playable? or what the miracle lists looked like? And I'm guessing they also don't have any healing ability, which probably doesn't fit with the concept anyway...

Finally, the possibility of a Guardian of the Balance, but i'm not sure if I would be better served playing a straight warrior priest and designing my own miracle list?

Decisions?! Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome!

Carl

One relatively recent change in making lists is that ANY Priest Class (Not just Pure Priests) can be a Hermit Priest and design their own list.

Also any Priest Class can be a Grey Warden / Warden of the Balance (Not just Pure Priest / Battle Priest).

The Passage of Spirits concept is pretty Shaman like or the Church of Dead Heroes and is a very workable concept.

There is A LOT of published abilities and miracles for Priests now and you would really need to give the Words From Above a good long read through to work out what you want rather than just asking for ideas / advice as there is such a vast scope of options.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 18 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

OK, thanks alot BBB. The info. re Warden of the Balance is interesting. Would a warden have any more 'support' then a traditional hermit priest? Or is it considered just a specific flavour of hermit priest that has more flexibility in the type of priest you can play?

Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post
BBB
post May 18 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(atem55 @ May 18 2017, 10:15 PM) *
OK, thanks alot BBB. The info. re Warden of the Balance is interesting. Would a warden have any more 'support' then a traditional hermit priest? Or is it considered just a specific flavour of hermit priest that has more flexibility in the type of priest you can play?

Carl

Yep, Grey Warden is a sub-class of Hermit Priest, so has hte same restirctions as a Hermit doesn't belong to a Church et cetera

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
Kail
post May 19 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Mercenary

Member No.: 644

You get 60 spirits for your miracle list, 10 of those spirits can be advanced miracle.

Edd

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 19 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Apprentice

I'm looking at the latest almanac I can find on the site and it says church of dead heroes can choose their own list. Is this based on the same limitations as the hermit list, i.e no 8th miracle, 60 spirits?

I don't have access to words from above yet, what split of evil, neutral good do I need to have for a dead heroes list?

Thanks,
Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post
Helsvell
post May 20 2017, 03:32 AM
Post #13

Mercenary

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(atem55 @ May 19 2017, 11:12 PM) *
I'm looking at the latest almanac I can find on the site and it says church of dead heroes can choose their own list. Is this based on the same limitations as the hermit list, i.e no 8th miracle, 60 spirits?

I don't have access to words from above yet, what split of evil, neutral good do I need to have for a dead heroes list?

Thanks,
Carl

Yes, Hermit Priest list. They have no alignment restriction.

Thanks,

Peter

--------------------
Peter Smith

+Quote Post
Padallen
post May 22 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #14

Mercenary

Member No.: 96

Hi,

Humakt may fit in with your thoughts or a Raven priest both of which have strong links to Mortai!!

(Although I am biased as I play the high priest of Mortai!)

--------------------
Paul Dallen

Just my 2₲ worth!! :-)

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 22 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #15

Apprentice

QUOTE(Padallen @ May 22 2017, 11:59 AM) *
Hi,

Humakt may fit in with your thoughts or a Raven priest both of which have strong links to Mortai!!

(Although I am biased as I play the high priest of Mortai!)

That sounds interesting, Mortai was an option, also, not sure i should say wink.gif Elbereth!

Are the Humakt and Raven Priest lists/details in one of the new books? I wont be able to get hold of those until i get down on the 4th, and wanted to get something planned sad.gif

Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fionamullin
post May 23 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #16

Legend

Member No.: 198

Lady of the Stars you mean? 🙂

--------------------
Fi

+Quote Post
atem55
post May 23 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #17

Apprentice

QUOTE(Fionamullin @ May 23 2017, 06:26 AM) *
Lady of the Stars you mean? 🙂

Looking at old stuff! Want sure if LotS was an alternative name, is it more of a change like shallya?

I'd actually decided on LotS until Paul posted, sorted my holy symbol and a little bottle of starlight smile.gif

Carl

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2017 - 03:04 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins