IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
New and Curious - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New and Curious
post Sep 20 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hiya
I'm VERY new to LARping. Being 14 years old, it was something I always knew existed but always seemed rather distant. However, recently I started to do some more research, and the more I researched it the more it appealed to me. I'm a passionate actor, storywriter, and have participated in roleplays before (not a LARP, over the internet in a RPG). I found many promising websites, but this was the only one I could locate that did regular LARP's, and was also the only one that I felt wasn't overly restrictive of younger players (not that i blame them for that, but the concept didn't appeal to me).I have read through the info the site has given me, and it seems awesome. However, before I get around to costume and character building, i have many lingering questions that I would really appreciate answers to.
1. I understand the principles of the combat system. However, I would love to have a warrior character, but I'm not exactly fast or athletic. I'm not unfit either, but i do wonder how I can cultivate say, a swordsman, when I myself am inept with a sword?
2. Do you recommend any places to go to to buy mock weapons and costumes (preferably online), and what would you recommend home-made weapons be made from?
3. Are anti social (e.g someone who is solitary, or doesn't like people generally) or unfriendly characters tolerated?
4. How many people normally turn up to the LARP, and how big of a group can i expect to be with?
5. Are daggers allowed? (I ask because the principle of a dagger is to stab).
6. What happens when you turn up (e.g how are groups sorted, are the rules explained again)?
Thanks for your tolerance and answers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Sep 20 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Group:

QUOTE(GJH @ Sep 20 2015, 05:25 PM) *
Hiya
I'm VERY new to LARping. Being 14 years old, it was something I always knew existed but always seemed rather distant. However, recently I started to do some more research, and the more I researched it the more it appealed to me. I'm a passionate actor, storywriter, and have participated in roleplays before (not a LARP, over the internet in a RPG). I found many promising websites, but this was the only one I could locate that did regular LARP's, and was also the only one that I felt wasn't overly restrictive of younger players (not that i blame them for that, but the concept didn't appeal to me).I have read through the info the site has given me, and it seems awesome. However, before I get around to costume and character building, i have many lingering questions that I would really appreciate answers to.
1. I understand the principles of the combat system. However, I would love to have a warrior character, but I'm not exactly fast or athletic. I'm not unfit either, but i do wonder how I can cultivate say, a swordsman, when I myself am inept with a sword?
2. Do you recommend any places to go to to buy mock weapons and costumes (preferably online), and what would you recommend home-made weapons be made from?
3. Are anti social (e.g someone who is solitary, or doesn't like people generally) or unfriendly characters tolerated?
4. How many people normally turn up to the LARP, and how big of a group can i expect to be with?
6. What happens when you turn up (e.g how are groups sorted, are the rules explained again)?
Thanks for your tolerance and answers.

1. Borrow a shield from the Armoury - concentrate on blocking with that then swipe at the monsters when you get an opportunity.
Because all effective blows must consist of sweeps at least 12 inches long and you cannot use thrusting moves it's not so bad and you'll pick it up fast.

2. There are a ton online or you can buy them at Labyrinthe itself (be aware some of the internet ones can take ages to deliver).
You can borrow weapons and basic costume from the armoury - making weapons is a can of worms and there are a number of safety issues you need to be aware of.
Unless you want a ton it's cheaper to buy them.

3. Absolutely - try not to attack your own party though as killing one will get you outlawed.

4. 10-12 people generally.

5. Yes daggers are allowed but cannot be used to thrust so you have to swing them.

6. First find your ref - the YP ref often gathers on the tables outside the café - he/she will then battleboard your character recording your race/class and abilities.
The ref will do a safety brief on how to fight safely etc. and then will generally tell you at appropriate points throughout the dungeon what such and such effect does.

Don't expect to understand everything immediately and have fun smile.gif

+Quote Post
ChrisAndrews
post Sep 20 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Tiffer

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

I think that the "Young Players" runs up until 16 before you then join the main/adult system.

QUOTE(GJH @ Sep 20 2015, 05:25 PM) *

There's a lot of difference between any sort of real-world fighting and Labyrinthe - the weapons are very light compared to a real sword and there's no thrusting/stabbing allowed due to the way they're made. Whilst there is still some physical skill involved your character's abilities make up for it, and the system is aimed towards extra-poweful heroes - it's entirely possible for a Warrior to be able to survive 100 sword blows or more without too much issue. It means that being a bit better at fighting is a good thing but you can make up for it somewhat with abilities.

Labyrinthe is able to lend equipment out to new players as well as equip those that are helping to run the games. Costume is the only bit that you are able to easily make at home. Labyrinthe stocks some weapons for sale and there are also a selection of websites (Eldritch and LarpKit.com for example).

Any sort of character is, in theory, tolerated. You might find that people don't make too much effort to help you out though. Young Players can't attack/kill each other but in the Adult system it's possible to kill other players.

Player groups are normally around 10 people although you get some that can be lower or higher. Normally you then have a referee, an assistant referee and 3-4 "monsters".

Sort of - they exist but you use them more like a machete for safety (stabbing could hit the eye or cause the "core" of the weapon to break through the foam)

Groups are organised on the website and people "book" to play certain events. Email the bookings line the first time as then the referee can be informed that you'll be new and make sure that they take you through everything - knowing things before you turn up will be helpful but not required. Young Player events tend to run as 2 half days, as compared to adult events which runs as the full day.

+Quote Post
post Sep 24 2015, 07:07 AM
Post #4

Group:

Hi, thanks for all the support! I do have a few more questions though, mostly created by things I read on the website, or thought of from your answers.
I'm considering coming to the young peoples open on the 3rd of October but before then it would be great if I could get these answered.
1 - Do I need to pre book a place?
2 - Can I come for just the morning, or conversely just the afternoon, or is it usual/expected for people to attend both sessions?
3 - Presumably the advertised price of £15 is for one session, and therefore logically the cost for a whole day (two sessions) would £30?
4 - Should I bring lunch with me or can I purchase food somewhere on site?
5 - Are there any places left in the 3rd of October event? Or would it display that on the diary if it was?
6 - Are my parents allowed to leave me at the event and come to collect me later, or does she need to stay close by?
6 - I realise that there is a cafe on the site, but is there anything nearby for my parents to do whilst I'm participating. Shops etc?
7 - I notice that currently there is only young peoples events up until the 25th of October. Are there any after this date or are the young peoples events closed from then until the spring?
8 - You mention that glow sticks are the best form of light to use within the caves. Is it OK to bring along my own glow sticks or are there specific ones that we need to purchase?
9. If parties are normally about 10 people, and there is one monster, how does combat work in that scenario? Do we all rush them, is it a little more elegant than that?
10. You mentioned contact is allowed, but no stabbing. How about shoves (with a shield maybe, or just with your bare hands)?
11. Are there OOC breaks?

+Quote Post
TimDallen
post Sep 24 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Heldsman

Member No.: 55

In order...
1. Yes, you'll need to register and upgrade to level 2 membership. If you have any issues email the booking line at bookings@labyrinthe.co.uk
2. Yes, In Young Players people often come for just a 1/2 day
3. Correct, although I believe you still get a 50% reduction the first time you play
4. There is a cafe that serves food
5. Yep, places are still available (if you upgrade to level 2 membership you'll be able to see this on the event bookings)
6a. Yep, we anticipate parents dropping and leaving to collect later
6b. Not a lot, shopping in Bromley
7. This is just as far as the bookings have been published. They run most weekends missing only the 3rd weekend of the month.
8. You can bring your own but we'd suggest green as these give the longest lasting light
9. We ask players to consider monstering instead and if no-one volunteers we volunteer people ensuring that everyone gets a fair go at playing and monstering
10. No there is no grappling/shoving allowed. Occasionally it happens accidentally but anyone doing it excessively or on purpose will be warned and then asked to leave.
11. Short breaks for battleboarding during the adventure and then a lunch break is the norm.

Hope these answers help,

Tim

QUOTE(GJH @ Sep 24 2015, 08:07 AM) *
Hi, thanks for all the support! I do have a few more questions though, mostly created by things I read on the website, or thought of from your answers.
I'm considering coming to the young peoples open on the 3rd of October but before then it would be great if I could get these answered.
1 - Do I need to pre book a place?
2 - Can I come for just the morning, or conversely just the afternoon, or is it usual/expected for people to attend both sessions?
3 - Presumably the advertised price of £15 is for one session, and therefore logically the cost for a whole day (two sessions) would £30?
4 - Should I bring lunch with me or can I purchase food somewhere on site?
5 - Are there any places left in the 3rd of October event? Or would it display that on the diary if it was?
6 - Are my parents allowed to leave me at the event and come to collect me later, or does she need to stay close by?
6 - I realise that there is a cafe on the site, but is there anything nearby for my parents to do whilst I'm participating. Shops etc?
7 - I notice that currently there is only young peoples events up until the 25th of October. Are there any after this date or are the young peoples events closed from then until the spring?
8 - You mention that glow sticks are the best form of light to use within the caves. Is it OK to bring along my own glow sticks or are there specific ones that we need to purchase?
9. If parties are normally about 10 people, and there is one monster, how does combat work in that scenario? Do we all rush them, is it a little more elegant than that?
10. You mentioned contact is allowed, but no stabbing. How about shoves (with a shield maybe, or just with your bare hands)?
11. Are there OOC breaks?

+Quote Post
JasonE
post Sep 24 2015, 01:16 PM
Post #6

Militiaman

Member No.: 564

QUOTE(TimDallen @ Sep 24 2015, 10:59 AM) *
6b. Not a lot, shopping in Bromley

there's also Chislehurst a few minutes drive up the road a few things there (smaller town high-street than Bromley with cafe's, restaurants, pubs etc but could keep people busy for some time), also surrounding towns/areas and London not that far aswell
other big'ish towns close by are Sidcup and Orpington

J

--------------------
J - The thing known as Dog
- Tyrone (twiglet Wizard, because they are yummy)

+Quote Post
AndrewBucknell
post Sep 24 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #7

Hero

Member No.: 95

6b Bluewater is not that far away

+Quote Post
post Oct 7 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Group:

I really don't want to push this thread to eternity- but there's a few details I need to double check (more info about booking etc this time)
1. How exactly is booking achieved? We've tried calling and email and received no response as of now. I also read about a new players discount thing. is that still running? Apparently the website doesn't recognise it.
2.Is a staff considered a blunt weapon (for a warrior priest) and is it possible to borrow one (I know you can get basic weapons there, but I wasn't sure about a staff)?
3.Do the two sessions in a day take place (in RP terms) one after the other, or are they (not physically, but chronologically in roleplay) days apart?
I think that covers all that's left, and I really appreciate the responses I've been getting. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Hulud
post Oct 7 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Mercenary

Member No.: 891

QUOTE(GJH @ Oct 7 2015, 10:04 PM) *
I really don't want to push this thread to eternity- but there's a few details I need to double check (more info about booking etc this time)
1. How exactly is booking achieved? We've tried calling and email and received no response as of now. I also read about a new players discount thing. is that still running? Apparently the website doesn't recognise it.
2.Is a staff considered a blunt weapon (for a warrior priest) and is it possible to borrow one (I know you can get basic weapons there, but I wasn't sure about a staff)?
3.Do the two sessions in a day take place (in RP terms) one after the other, or are they (not physically, but chronologically in roleplay) days apart?
I think that covers all that's left, and I really appreciate the responses I've been getting. Thanks!

1 - Email - bookings@labyrinthe.co.uk also bear in mind that Duncan and Kat both have full time jobs as well as managing the caves so give them a couple of days to handle your booking.

2 - Yup its a blunt weapon, you could (as a brand new player) borrow one from the armoury but it will likely be somewhat rough smile.gif

3 - Normally they would take place one after the other...I have yet to hear of a chronology issue though...smile.gif

--------------------
Neil.

PM box FULL - Please EMAIL me instead: neilmillard1@googlemail.com

-------------------------------------
Conroy Suman:Grey Wizard,Nicosia Roguri: Pathfinder,Valentine:Champion,Keyser Kint:Thug,Boone:Scout,Virgil:Oppressed Troll Ranger,Doris the Dagger:Drag queen/negotiator,Sid Snout:Editor of the Sunsday Snort.

He boiled for your sins

Ramen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:36 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins