IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Crazy monk... - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Crazy monk..., Advice
Fenn
post May 10 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,313

I've got a character concept in mind but, as a newbie, I'd love some advice in helping me make it work.

I want to play a louche, roguish chap with a two-knife style.

I'm not interested in using magic, I don't want to use a shield or wear armour. I like the idea of being a perpetual drunk, utterly irresponsible, with no hope whatsoever of clinging onto my money.

Also selfish, but with a weird sense of honour and a ridiculous lucky streak that helps him to survive despite all the bad decisions.

I was considering a western monk as the base class, but would obviously need some apping to fit the concept.

I like the idea of using the monk base class, keeping all the restrictions but just giving everything a new explanation.

- The resistances are nothing to do with discipline and everything to do with a) luck; and cool.gif genuinely not caring - which for some karmic reason makes him harder to affect.

- "Must be Lawful" becomes "Must be Chaotic" - must act randomly and whimsically - otherwise he is deemed to care too much, and his luck abandons him.

- Cannot be affected by beneficial magic - this man is a gambler, an paragon of randomness and a thrill-seeker, and his warped sense of honour would be offended. Restriction as an evil Monk.

- Wealth and item restrictions represent the utter irresponsibility. Everything gets gambled away or just lost due to his irresponsible nature.

I'd even like to keep the accent restriction, but make it a strong French accent instead of an oriental one. I have no idea where French accents might come from in the Labyrinthe world, but it goes with the concept - so any advice on that also welcome!

Obviously I'll work hard on a background and such, but I'd really love to play this.

So before I put a YP together, I'd love some views from the veterans as to whether this sounds workable.

Thanks very much.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Icykle
post May 10 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 365

Is what you are looking for Duellist ?

Have a read it seams more fitting to what you describe rather than a discipline bound Monk.

Try a standard Duellist or a slightly changed one to "Two Knife" rather than sword & dagger with YP.

Regards

--------------------
For those that remember I be known as Graham Ford (Silver-Ford)

+Quote Post
Martinj
post May 10 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Mercenary

Member No.: 734

You don't really need an app for any of that! Most of what you describe can be done via role play, then build on it with a non-standard tradition or something. Easy stuff smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fenn
post May 10 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Apprentice

QUOTE(Martinj @ May 10 2014, 12:49 PM) *
You don't really need an app for any of that! Most of what you describe can be done via role play, then build on it with a non-standard tradition or something. Easy stuff smile.gif

Oh, that's ideal then. Thanks Martin.

+Quote Post
BBB
post May 10 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Deity

Member No.: 25

I think Budoka is a far better fit than Monk for what you are describing.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
Fenn
post May 10 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Apprentice

QUOTE(BBB @ May 10 2014, 01:34 PM) *
I think Budoka is a far better fit than Monk for what you are describing.

BBB

Thanks BBB - that was the other option I was considering.

But I wanted a wealth and item restriction. I suppose I could app losing those in return for gaining the right to a tradition?

+Quote Post
BBB
post May 10 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Deity

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(Fenn @ May 10 2014, 02:09 PM) *
Thanks BBB - that was the other option I was considering.

But I wanted a wealth and item restriction. I suppose I could app losing those in return for gaining the right to a tradition?

You just put the wealth and item restriction in your Tradition. They are considered pretty big disadvantages so will allow you to get something big such as getting a Tradition quite cheaply.

BBB

--------------------
Grey's Law: Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice...

PS, Yes, I know my PM Box is full. Email me instead... (Which you can do through the forums email)

+Quote Post
RichardCraig
post May 10 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Hero

Member No.: 112

As big as 1400pts of immunities? ignore BBB he's not enough of a power player..

+Quote Post
Fenn
post May 10 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

QUOTE(RichardCraig @ May 10 2014, 06:05 PM) *
As big as 1400pts of immunities? ignore BBB he's not enough of a power player..

Haha!

Honestly, I just want to be a lucky drunk with a rubbish (well, I'll try my best) French accent.

I started with monk as I thought the restrictions and benefits fitted the concept well. Maybe I need a powerplay lesson too?

I'm thinking I might just tweak the concept and make it a drunken master-type monk. I've found some amusing coreless bottles and beer-mugs that could work as thrown weapons to help the concept.

That ideally lets me keep the rest of my ideas as roleplay flavour - except for the alignment.

I see this guy as selfish and heartless (i.e. evil), but with a strict code of conduct and honour which is non-negotiable. The strict code of honour and conduct suggests lawful - even if my actions aside from that code are not law-abiding, or even particularly consistent.

I think that lands me on Lawful Evil. Does that seem reasonable?

The Laby system seems fluid enough to cope with the above. I just wanted to check I wouldn't be offending some rules/principles I wasn't aware of.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:36 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins