IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Questions for candidates - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions for candidates
Kail
post Jan 22 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 644

As candidates have started saying their views for the Knights going forward I thought I'd start off the questions.

What do you think the Knights should do about the ruling classes in Amlas cutting their people's head's off for not putting their faces in the dirt as the nobles walk past?

Would you lead the Knights against the Empire or the Empress if they/she started treating their people in this way?

Kail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 22 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Legend

Member No.: 62

QUOTE(Kail @ Jan 22 2018, 05:33 PM) *
As candidates have started saying their views for the Knights going forward I thought I'd start off the questions.

What do you think the Knights should do about the ruling classes in Amlas cutting their people's head's off for not putting their faces in the dirt as the nobles walk past?

[i] Well I think it's just silly, you shouldn't get your head chopped off for not bowing. Does this actually happen? I know Woodrow fairly well I doubt he's the type of guy to chop someone's head of for this. [/i]

Would you lead the Knights against the Empire or the Empress if they/she started treating their people in this way?

To those who prey on the weak should be spoken to and if they refuse to stop, then martial methods should be used.

Kail

Thank you for the questions.

Snow

--------------------
Lord Knight problems... Contact Stacey. I'm free!

+Quote Post
RichFromant
post Jan 23 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 37

From what I understand, on the Amlas society people are taught from an early age that they are to bow to their lords and people of importance, not doing so has a number of consequences that can include death. I am not going to try and understand the whys and wherefores of this tradition but that is the way of life out there and something everyone who lives there is aware of. In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a hardship, to bow to someone.

However, if the Lord's are abusing the power, or travel to other worlds where it isn't the tradition and murdering people out of hand for not following it, then it is the Knight's job to step in and intervene. Thankfully however the Amlasian family's seem to be doing a good job of ruling the lands fairly and looking after the people of Amlas fairly well currently.

Kail

I would like to think it would never come to that, there are a number of knights in positions of importance within the Empire that would put a stop to anything like that happening. However, the knights should always be in a position where it is able to step in and put a stop to dangerous or abusive rulers if required, be it within the Empire, else where on Primus or on other worlds. Ideally first with words and discussion but by force if required.

Hopefully that answers your questions, thank you for asking them. I am happy to answer more if people have them

Gimly

--------------------
Rich

fromum@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
Nibs
post Jan 23 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #4

Heldsman

Member No.: 388

Prior to finally caving to Her nagging encouragement and joining the Knights last year, I have witnessed first hand, on a number of occassions, Knights defending their brothers and sisters (as is right and proper), at the expense of non-knights. Non-knights are left to fend for themselves. I'm not talking about non-Knights that recklessly throw themselves into situations or fights that they can't handle, I'm talking about fellow mercenaries that have simply become "split from the pack" as it were. Fellow mercenaries that were putting their Vitae on the line in the same way Knights were, to achieve the same goals, to protect the same people and lands. Fellow mercenaries that were less than 100 feet from groups of Knights and still well within sight and hearing, and basically offered no support. This apparent attitude "only Knights matter" has also been expressed to me by others, both within our Orders and externally.

How do the candidates plan to change not only this perception, but also the actions have led to it? Do they even see anything wrong with it? Peons see us as their defenders. Many non-Knight mercenaries see us as a clique that only looks after itself.

Brother Tubbs
Friar of Border and Knight of the Land

--------------------
Nibs
Plays:
[REDACTED] Tarkin (Black Seer)
Tubbs (Fated Friar)
Shugoki (250pts Amlesian ogre magi warrior of the jewel)

+Quote Post
RichFromant
post Jan 23 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 37

People, especially mercenaries, like to moan about the knights almost regardless of what we do, you get use to it after a while.
I tend to view it as that if a mercenary chooses not to make the commitment to defend the people and each other, the is involved in becoming a knight then they aren't really in a position to demand that they immediately protected/saved by us. The case is of course muddied by those who are good people but have other commitments that restricted them joining, but generally I like to think that Knight's as a whole do work to look after everyone on the same hire as them, or at least strive to. How much they risk to do this is a decision down to each knight to make.

If you have been in situations where you feel there is an issue you should raise it with the Lord Knight as soon as time allows after the event.

Gimly

--------------------
Rich

fromum@labyrinthe.co.uk

+Quote Post
isbiraven
post Jan 23 2018, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Hero

Member No.: 98

Can we expect to be called to defend any cottages at all in the year to come?
Many are eager to plan their time and training depending on this.

Link,
Imperial Wayfinder.

+Quote Post
Christine
post Jan 23 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Legend

Member No.: 110

All right, I've got a question, so, well really it's two. I know I made Gimly agree to stand after he talked me into joining again (don't recall the Knight's Charter saying that if you can bundle someone into a tabard while they're distracted with a bacon sandwich, they're in, but fair enough), but I think any of the candidates would do a decent job of it.

So questions -

Why did you join the Knights - I'm thinking where you were in your life, what particular thing or person inspired you to do it, that sort of thing?

When if at all have you thought about leaving the Knights, and why? How did you resolve that?

If people would rather not say, it being personal and all, I think we can all respect that, but I hope they're fair questions.

Tavis

+Quote Post
ChrisB
post Jan 23 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #8

Militiaman

Member No.: 1,410

Congratulations to all this Years nominee's

You are all strong candidates and I believe you would all make fine Lord Knight's

I have a few questions, but they are person specific rather than general.

Amorphus -

You have been a Knight and a follower of Michael for many a year, Faith is a very strong and powerful tool if used correctly, in recent experiences I have come across followers of your faith and others that have a very militant stand on certain things / creatures ie demons / undead or the summoners of such things, would you be able to put aside your own personal beliefs if it meant the protection of a land and the safety of its people was upheld?

Gimly -

You have been Lord Knight previously and have always been a true and stalwart knight, If you were nominated once more to be Lord Knight, would you do anything different from your previous tenure and how would you move the knights forward over the next year?

Snow -

First off thank you for Assisting Lord Rufus in arranging musters this past year.

In a past nomination a previous nominee who had also not been a knight for very long was questioned about why they thought they were qualified or worthy enough to lead the Knights when they were relatively inexperienced as a Knight, Why do you feel you are qualified to lead the knights and what do you believe your qualities were that led you to be nominated by more experienced Knights, and also what would your plans be to drive the knights going forward over the new year..

Rufus -

First of all let me congratulate you on what I believe to be a Job well done over this past year.

If you were nominated what would you do with with a second year as Lord Knight, and is there something specific you would do this year, and if so is there a reason you did not try to do it this year?

Thank you all for your time.

Tristan Du'lac

Imrazi's Vessel
Sword of Imrazil

--------------------
Tristan - Angel of the Virtues - Imrazil's Champion.
Slinky - Grizzled Black Orc - Axe Wielder.
Vambrael - Angel - Warrior Priest of Michael.

+Quote Post
Pacey
post Jan 23 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #9

Militiaman

Member No.: 279

Kail

Good afternoon Kail and all within this public forum.

I would like to take this opportunity to provide an explanation to the actions of each person who was born to Amlas so that you and your kind may understand these actions that may seem unusual to you.

Honour and duty is vital in the Jade Empire. Not least because of the ancient bargains which mean when one dies in dishonour they can have their soul claimed by the one of the shadowlands. As such the land has simple, but harsh laws.
Often outsiders fail to understand the need for this as the are unaware of the dark pacts made to bring the land into existence.

The Laws:

It is important to remember these laws are in place to protect the people of Amlas, namely those with the mortal caste system, It does not offer protection to Ronin (Those without clan) or people who are not raised from the land and thus not protected by its laws. (Thus we ask you to respect our laws but you are not bound by them if you are from the Empire)

- Do not bring dishonour upon the Emperor or your Lord.
- Wherever you walk, as servant of the Emperor, you are bound by the laws and the honour of Amlas.
- It is illegal to kill.
- It is not illegal to act as Second for another’s Seppuku.
- It is not illegal to duel in an agreed duel.
- It is illegal for a mercenary to kill another mercenary, Unless they are not protect by the law as they have been ostracised or outlawed.
- It is illegal to attack a member of a clan of higher status than you should that status be Samurai or higher, Except in a duel.
- It is illegal to steal.
- If a Peasant or Eta fails to bow to a Samurai or higher they are immediately ostracised unless forgiven by that person. (for their lack of respect to one of higher social status would leave the stain of dishonour on their soul leaving them at the risk of becoming Oni in their next life)
- It is illegal to carry a weapon unless a member of a Clan or Protecter (or higher status).
- Those from outside the Jade Empire are treated as Artisans, unless their status would require otherwise, but are permitted to carry weapons in peace.

Beyond our laws we all also aspire to the Jade Code, This can be thought of as a code of conduct rather than an additional set of laws that if abided by leave only honour upon one whole upholds them.

The Jade Code:

Following this code ensures your soul remains safe beyond death.

- Always display your clan and family symbol.
- Be honest throughout your dealings with all people.
- Be true to your word
- Do not break the law.
- Show courtesy to all including your enemy.
- Never let an insult of unavenged.
- Do not break a promise.
- Never betray your lord, Clan or friends and Emperor.

As you can see from our laws and customs that holding to a strict system of self control and good social behaviour protects each and every Amlasian.

I hope you find this enlightening.

Yours in honour.

- Masayoshi Chu.
Samurai of the Snake Clan
Magistrate of the Jade Court.

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jan 23 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Hero

Member No.: 1,166

QUOTE(ChrisB @ Jan 23 2018, 01:18 PM) *
Snow -

First off thank you for Assisting Lord Rufus in arranging musters this past year.

In a past nomination a previous nominee who had also not been a knight for very long was questioned about why they thought they were qualified or worthy enough to lead the Knights when they were relatively inexperienced as a Knight, Why do you feel you are qualified to lead the knights and what do you believe your qualities were that led you to be nominated by more experienced Knights, and also what would your plans be to drive the knights going forward over the new year..

Tristan Du'lac

Imrazi's Vessel
Sword of Imrazil

As I was considering asking this very question, considering the smear campaign that happened in the event that Tristan is referring to and would very much like to see as to why this year a person who is barely a year into his Knighthood would not only be suggested but also feel it appropriate to stand as our Lord Knight?

Xeno
Knight Captain of the Flashblade Guard

--------------------
Jules
Seth/800 Blades - 10k - Pure Priest/Budoka/White Wizard
Kazan Toshimoko - 9.8k Council Yojimbo
Xeno - 6.2k - Ivory Warrior/Wizard
Dipp - 4k - Far Northfolk True Awakener
Sosen Oku - 3.7k - Jade Dragon Shaman (Bene/Healing/Jade Wiz)
Lt Benjamin Ford - 3.6k Nightsoil Comms Grey Knight
Moru - 3.1k - Twilight Elf Utility Wizard
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
post Jan 23 2018, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Group:
Member No.: 0

"The smear campaign"?

We all know I don't have the greatest of memories but could you elaborate on this please?

Thanks,

Rufus.

+Quote Post
BennyB
post Jan 23 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #12

Heldsman

Member No.: 43

Lord Rufus,

I believe Masters Xeno and Tristan are referring to the incidents surrounding the IM1014 election. Specifically I think it was Bartimeus who had not then been a knight for a long time standing. It was I think agreed that a line should be drawn under this and all move on as there were other concerns during that election.

Happy to be wrong and apologies if I've re-kindled bad memories. More happy to keep the line where it was and for us to move on.

Mar'Eth

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 23 2018, 05:13 PM
Post #13

Legend

More questions, I'm starting to enjoy all these!

So let's get started then...

How do the candidates plan to change not only this perception, but also the actions have led to it? Do they even see anything wrong with it? Peons see us as their defenders. Many non-Knight mercenaries see us as a clique that only looks after itself.

So, I think it's very hard to answer how your going to change everyone's perceptions of us.... there are many situations and events that happen over a mission. If you see a knight not full filling his oath and letting non knights die because they didn't want to interfere they shouldn't be knights. You should report it to the Lord of your Order or the Lord Knight. You should put aside your religious and other views to help everyone out.
As a side note, you aren't always aware of your fellow knights situation. It is on His or Her judgement sometimes wether if they try to help they will become a hindrance or possibly die themselves.

Can we expect to be called to defend any cottages at all in the year to come?

I do not know, that's dependant on the threats this year, maybe Lord Mallerstang knows....he can see the future.

Why did you join the Knights - I'm thinking where you were in your life, what particular thing or person inspired you to do it, that sort of thing?

When if at all have you thought about leaving the Knights, and why? How did you resolve that?

Why did I join? Well I joined the day I was reborn after the dawn. I spent a long time in Dales with Tai and Thaleon, whilst there were some strong friendships in that group you could sense the bond between the knights. This echoed through all the other knights I had met In my life, but I wasn't bravest of people back then and I can admit that. On the turn of wheel, I came back and I wanted that bond forged mainly in combat with your fellow knights.

Have I thought about leaving? As stated else where I haven't been a member that long so I haven't considered leaving!

Let me ask you a question Tavis (if that's allowed) When's the next picnic?

Tristan Du'lac and Xeno in answer to you're question.... I don't think I'm qualified, is anyone really qualified to lead the most diverse organisation? But I'm not afraid of new challenges and have faith that fellow knights will lend me there ears and advice when I asked for it. As you state I have only been a member a short amount of time, I am not up to speed or aware of the smear campaign you refer to, I trust Lord Andric will monitor in a fair manner guided by Imrazil. If you do not believe me worthy of holding this title, do not vote for me...

That's all for now!

Snow

--------------------

+Quote Post
JackFlashblade
post Jan 23 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #14

Legend

Member No.: 190

Greetings my fellow Knights.

One of the main things I believe would make a good Lord Knight is a steadfast dedication to organising musters to deal with the issues in the land.

I would be interested to hear what plans our 4 candidates have for organising musters over the next year if they were to be elected.

Price

Mixed race elf

Emissary of Averlaeran

+Quote Post
Abel
post Jan 23 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #15

Hero

Member No.: 1,166

QUOTE(Jack @ Jan 23 2018, 04:42 PM) *
"The smear campaign"?

We all know I don't have the greatest of memories but could you elaborate on this please?

Thanks,

Rufus.

I believe Mar'Eth elaborated better and in a more tactful way than I would have.

Xeno

--------------------
Jules
Seth/800 Blades - 10k - Pure Priest/Budoka/White Wizard
Kazan Toshimoko - 9.8k Council Yojimbo
Xeno - 6.2k - Ivory Warrior/Wizard
Dipp - 4k - Far Northfolk True Awakener
Sosen Oku - 3.7k - Jade Dragon Shaman (Bene/Healing/Jade Wiz)
Lt Benjamin Ford - 3.6k Nightsoil Comms Grey Knight
Moru - 3.1k - Twilight Elf Utility Wizard
-
Abel - RIP (21/08/15)

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 23 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Legend

I completely agree with this. The knights have a long and proud tradition of dealing with important issues whether on Primus or other worlds. Of course I would like to arrange more gatherings of Knights, whether new or experienced, but if someone has come across an issue I am not aware of I would be happy to support them in sorting musters and providing scrolls etc from the stores, which I believe Lord Rufus has done an excellent replenishing.

I believe the Arc of Fire in Legend needs to be claimed again, or closed forever. This is something that I believe would be high on the list to arrange, there has been peace in Legend for a long time, let us hope it stays this way.

Snow

QUOTE(JackFlashblade @ Jan 23 2018, 05:39 PM) *
Greetings my fellow Knights.

One of the main things I believe would make a good Lord Knight is a steadfast dedication to organising musters to deal with the issues in the land.

I would be interested to hear what plans our 4 candidates have for organising musters over the next year if they were to be elected.

Price

Mixed race elf

Emissary of Averlaeran

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrisB
post Jan 23 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #17

Militiaman

Member No.: 1,410

Thank you for your swift response Snow.

My question was mainly hinting on a previous comparison but actually wanting to know which qualities do you believe it was that had other Knights nominating you.

all my questions are from a neutral stand point, as I will not be voting for the same reasons i did not stand after being seconded.

--------------------
Tristan - Angel of the Virtues - Imrazil's Champion.
Slinky - Grizzled Black Orc - Axe Wielder.
Vambrael - Angel - Warrior Priest of Michael.

+Quote Post
draco
post Jan 23 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #18

Heldsman

Member No.: 598

My question to all,

Who is your second that will help bring less experienced knights through the ranks? As has been proven this year our Lord knight is only as good as his second. I believe that the more varied our opinions and beliefs then the stronger and more united we stand as a beacon to others

Steff

--------------------
James Isteed

Isteed.Labyrinthe@outlook.com

(the big one)

+Quote Post
Ferro
post Jan 23 2018, 07:52 PM
Post #19

Mercenary

Member No.: 2,812

My turn!

To all standing:
What qualities do YOU look for in a leader and what is YOUR definition of cowardice?

Not everyone has the ability to stand and fight (some of us can't even hit anything.......) and to me, that's not a show of bravery. I want to know what you all think is.

Kiwi

--------------------
Stacey

+Quote Post
BlockWizard
post Jan 23 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #20

Militiaman

Member No.: 3,007

I'd like to ask something-

Is a truly brave act carried out fearlessly, or in spite of one's fear?

Thank you,
Lord Zacharius Ward

--------------------
Hi, I'm Conor. Also known as:

Lord Zacharius Ward, foppish blue warlock/duelist
Lazlow von Lieblos, sanguine Circle pencil-pusher
Randall Lyghtwood, fragile Shaehan pure priest
Errin "Twiglet", spacey druidic wood elf awakener

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:29 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins