IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Mana glyphs - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mana glyphs, What's your style?
post Dec 10 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hey,

So I'm trying to learn mana glyphs so I can start my crol high wizard and with my attention span, It's not going to be the easiest thing in the world. So I was wondering, what's your technique for learning them, if you have one?
Also, what letters are used for Q and X? Is it ku and ks?

Thanks all for any help.
Stuart.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Dec 10 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Group:

Q and X have their own characters I believe, but X is (I think) an amalgamation of k and s.

+Quote Post
post Dec 10 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Group:

Last time I had a grimoire they were represented as two different chracters next to each other.

+Quote Post
post Dec 10 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Group:

I learned spirit runes by handwriting a bunch of scrolls. At the end of it, you know the alphabet and you have a convenient pile of scrolls.

+Quote Post
Onasuma
post Dec 11 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Legend

Group: Members
Member No.: 242

QUOTE(nerulean @ Dec 10 2010, 11:53 PM) *
I learned spirit runes by handwriting a bunch of scrolls. At the end of it, you know the alphabet and you have a convenient pile of scrolls.

This a thousand times over.

Peter Long

+Quote Post
post Dec 11 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #6

Group:

Nobody got an idea about the Q and X yet?

+Quote Post
aaaarrrggh
post Dec 11 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #7

Heldsman

Member No.: 91

kw for q normally. eks for x or something. Just don't use words with them in!

Henry

--------------------
Henry

+Quote Post
post Dec 11 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #8

Group:

Ty

+Quote Post
Jasper
post Dec 11 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #9

Arch-Enemy

Member No.: 40

QUOTE(aaaarrrggh @ Dec 11 2010, 12:57 AM) *
kw for q normally. eks for x or something. Just don't use words with them in!
Henry

I use the curly x you get in maths equations and the q you get in normal handwriting with a little flick behind it. You'd also be surprised how I write L.
I like that mana glyphs are often different in a way that spirit runes are not.

J

--------------------
No of course I won't ref. Are you mad?

+Quote Post
Kirsty
post Dec 11 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #10

Mercenary

Member No.: 888

Q is kw

X is ks

The printed font I can read no problem. Other people's handwriting is tough!!! I find writing them a lot easier than reading them.

Another trick is to keep it fresh in your mind. You may learn them but if you don't use them for a while then you end up forgetting a few of the more obscure letters!!!

And it's really confusing if you know spirit runes as well. In mana runes a p looks like an r, but in spirit runes a p looks like an n!

--------------------
If you need anything de-trapping... call the Marchants...

+Quote Post
Bruno
post Dec 11 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #11

Hero

Member No.: 41

What Jasper said. Although using kw and kx/eks is more normal. The key thing is that it's a personal preference rather than a hard rule. As long as it's explicable, it'll work. I too like different 'handwriting' styles for mana glyphs, but it can be a minor frustration sometimes as even the most fluent reader may struggle a little bit til they get used to a particular writer's style.

--------------------
--
Bruno

+Quote Post
post Dec 11 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #12

Group:

I go with kw (but then don't include the "u") and ks.

Asking other people to write scrolls for you / borrowing their used scrolls and then reading them is another way to learn - there are huge differences in the way that people write - e.g. I've been told my 's' is unrecognisable, and I have trouble with other people's "t", possibly because I write a style that's closer to Tolkien's runes than it should be...

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Dec 11 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #13

Group:

QUOTE(LucyH @ Dec 11 2010, 08:05 AM) *
I go with kw (but then don't include the "u") and ks.

Asking other people to write scrolls for you / borrowing their used scrolls and then reading them is another way to learn - there are huge differences in the way that people write - e.g. I've been told my 's' is unrecognisable, and I have trouble with other people's "t", possibly because I write a style that's closer to Tolkien's runes than it should be...

Lucy

Heh, you could probably read mine. I learnt Tolkien's alphabet when I was thirteen out of simple nerdery, and I have a sneaking suspicion that how my regular handwriting looks now was quite significantly changed by that. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
StevieG
post Dec 11 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #14

Militiaman

Member No.: 419

I found writing scrolls taught me, but you get used to going from English to glyphs. On a dungeon you often have to translate from glyphs to standard alphabet pretty quickly, which can be tricky if you're only used to translating the other way.

To practise that I downloaded the mana fonts, then pasted some text of the web into a word doc and switched on mana fonts. Gets you used to translating text that you don't know the content of back from glyphs. Doesn't help you with people's handwriting though.

(if you are doing this, use the format bar to change all the text to lower case as the font doesn't cope with upper case characters properly).

Steve

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:28 AM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins