IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Children's Parties - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Children's Parties, ie promoting it as such, not just an 'open' dungeon
post Jan 29 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I've mentioned this before verbally to Labby staff, but never noted it down in a post.

I think a potential good idea - with whatever restrictions might be necessary - would be for Labyrinthe to host children's birthday parties. Be they a 1, 2 or 3 hour morning or afternoon slot or something, with 30-60 minutes for 'party food' at the end (and most children's parties run for about 2 hours including the party food bit, I'd suggest 2.5 - 3 hours bearing in mind the extra 'explanatory' nature of Labyrinthe and weapon training)

I'm not too sure of the age this would be suitable from, but I would suggest 11 or 12 (bearing in mind some of the guests at a 12 year olds party would there likely be 11), but really that is nothing to do with me.

This kind of thing would need a particular kind of adventure & Ref/A-Ref, but you could draw some similarities from 'Laser Quest' or whatever they are called for health & safety/adult supervision and the like.

Personally, I think a simple 2 hour session would run like this :

15 minutes introduction to Labyrinthe & the Caves themselves
15 minutes weapon training
15 minutes kitting out
5 minutes explaining the adventure
30 minutes adventure
10 minute drink & toilet break
30 minutes adventure
1 hour party with party food etc.
Total Hours: 3

Cost : I don't know, £10-£15 a head or £20 with party food ? Costs would obviously be up to Labyrinthe staff to work out.

Not to be overlooked, is the fact that a potential new catchment of prospective members could result from this.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 29 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Mercenary

Group: Members
Member No.: 259

This is already in the pipeline. The idea is either a 2 hour morning or afternoon event for children from I think 11 or even 10, with a "Party meal" at the cafe either before or after depending on whether it's booked as an am or pm thing.

It may be on hold due to changes within the cafe management that are about to happen - or because the standards of the cafe have plumpetted and because they stopped doing party food for the children in general.

It's been something the CMT have wanted to do for some time, along with summer week day events for kids/yp's. Hopefully both will come into place when the cafe has settled down. It's a great idea, so fingers are crossed.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Tailors and Clothiers to the Mercenary Community at large since IM1008.

All inquiries by elemental to Fox's Nymphs.

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Group:

I see four problems - not insoluble, but possibly non-trivial:

a) Who do you get to monster for them?
b ) if you run these in the afternoon, how do you cost having an area sitting empty in the morning?
c) where do you hold the eating & drinking bit?
d) What sort of additional insurance costs/ support staff are involved?

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Group:

>>>'LucyH'
>>>I see four problems - not insoluble, but possibly non-trivial:

>>>a) Who do you get to monster for them?

Sensible people - I'd suggest those that have kids or are obviously able to not 'try to win' too hard. There might be a legal aspect to that, depending on certain restrictions, ie 2 adults minimum at any one time, no child alone with adult etc. I'm sidestepping issues here obviously !

>>>b ) if you run these in the afternoon, how do you cost having an area sitting empty in the morning?

I understand Young Player events are in fact run for a morning/afternoon session ? Also, free adventure used to be I think a morning or afternoon session. Possibly matching it up with those would work, or simply 'booking' an area for the morning or afternoon, in the same way as Refs book areas now.

>>>c) where do you hold the eating & drinking bit?
Various options here, it's possible to do it in the cafe perhaps, this might necessitate a cost. It might also mean that Labyrinthe can simply figure into their prices the costs of that. Alternatively, a couple of trestle tables in one of the areas that have been booked for the morning or afternoon, would work well.

>>>d) What sort of additional insurance costs/ support staff are involved?

Labyrinthe staff would need to speak to their insurers about that, it would be a simple call and a possibility of an additoinal cost (there might not be one).

Additional things I've thought of:
First Aider (I imagine one of the staff is First Aid trained anyhow, I've never checked, but it's likely)
Parental/Guardian signed forms (I imagine the same as 15yr or under YP now)
Dietary Requirements/Allergies - the organiser would need to provide all such things to the Company (Labby) on the booking form

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 29 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #5

Mercenary

You can't have adults monstering for young players. Its not safe, regardless of how safe you think you are being, body size and strength against people smaller, younger and inexperienced would make it unsafe. Perhaps a promotion for current YP's to help out with an incentive?

Food wise, you have to be careful about hygiene standards and so on putting food out in the caves.. the cafe makes much more sense - plus all of the dietary requirements are filled by them in their facilities - things like nut allergies can be as sensitive as "if the food is prepared near nuts I can't have it" and so on.

There are several first aid trained people at the caves, at least 2 of those are part of the desk staff. Also people like Bruce and Caroline who are qualified to work with kids and who run YP events already.

The caves insurance currently covers YP's I dont see that there would be a lot of difference if any because of the "party" groups. I would suggest that all the participants would need to register online, this would give emergancy contact details for parents shuold anything happen, but also contact info to promote the caves - email address's etc.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.
~ William Gibson ~

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

Bespoke hand-made costume, made to your specifications. As seen in the caves and on the catwalks of Kent. Order books are now reopened and current lead time is 8 weeks! Click the above link to email me your inquiries, check out current stock on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FoxsBoxCostume?ref=shop_sugg Or check for updates and photo's by searching "Fox's Box" on Facebook Thank you.

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #6

Group:

Not altogether sure I agree with the statement that you ...can't have adults monstering for children...

YP would be good too, but with regards to strength differences etc, I wouldn't see any problem - an 'adult' is more likely to be able to control swings and what not, for example when I used to do martial arts I was often in charge of training and sparring with the younger children (say, about 8 years+). If the adult players you are talking about would be likely to engage in the same kind of fighting they would against other adults, then they are obviously not suitable anyway.

I agree with all the other points though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stuart
post Jan 29 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #7

Legend

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(Andrea @ Jan 29 2009, 01:40 PM) *
You can't have adults monstering for young players. Its not safe, regardless of how safe you think you are being, body size and strength against people smaller, younger and inexperienced would make it unsafe. Perhaps a promotion for current YP's to help out with an incentive?

Slightly off topic, for which I apologise, but I agree with Andrea here. I'm not a small individual, and I'm already worried that I might accidentally hurt one of the younger players recently moved up to adults. It wouldn't take much for a parent to be incensed at the injury accidentally done to their child by someone more than twice their age and mass bouncing them into a cave wall, or hitting them in the face because I was going for a chest blow and in the dark couldn't tell the assassin was only 4ft 9.

Put armed adults in the same dark cave as over-excited (and similarly armed) 11 yr olds and that's a lawsuit just waiting to happen. Regardless of how careful you are.

Stuart

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #8

Group:

QUOTE(saracentruth @ Jan 29 2009, 02:42 PM) *
Not altogether sure I agree with the statement that you ...can't have adults monstering for children...

I agree with all the other points though smile.gif

I don't think Andrea was voicing an opinion there, rather stating something that's in the terms of the caves' insurance - which don't allow adults to monster YP dungeons, because it is terribly, terribly easy for an adult to break a kid by accident.

Also - you really don't want to be eating down the cave. It encourages the rats...

Lucy

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Group:

QUOTE(LucyH @ Jan 29 2009, 03:19 PM) *
I don't think Andrea was voicing an opinion there, rather stating something that's in the terms of the caves' insurance - which don't allow adults to monster YP dungeons, because it is terribly, terribly easy for an adult to break a kid by accident.

Also - you really don't want to be eating down the cave. It encourages the rats...

Lucy

? I know, or that is, that is what we are all doing probably, it's up to the powers that be to make decisions definately not me (thank god. or perhaps the ruler of Primus or something).

Rats ? I've never actually considered them down there, do you get them ? Not much for them to eat I would have thought. I was closing the office the other day and saw one over the other side of the estate, not nice.

Be interesting to see if the whole idea worked though, especially with regards those attending a party possibly turning into Young Players. I've only seen a few of the YP, and so far I've been impressed with them (I'm allowed to sound condescending like that btw, as it was my 40th birthday the beginning of January sad.gif sad, old me) lol

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #10

Group:

QUOTE(saracentruth @ Jan 29 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Rats ? I've never actually considered them down there, do you get them ? Not much for them to eat I would have thought. I was closing the office the other day and saw one over the other side of the estate, not nice.

Welcome to London - where you are never more than 10 feet from a rat.
There have definitely been rats in the desk area of the caves in the past because they ate a rather nice leather bag of ours that got left there a few years back. whether they get to the back of Area d is a different matter.

(I'm allowed to sound condescending like that btw, as it was my 40th birthday the beginning of January sad.gif sad, old me) lol

Bah, youngster...

L.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 29 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Mercenary

I was voicing something that is already "policy" I have no idea about the actual insurance though I would assume its in there somewhere. I know adults will try to be careful - however, being of the shorter pursuasion myself I have been hit around the face alot in the past and have seen injuries recently occuring from blows that would be chest height for an adult male, but are head height for younger adult players and shorties like me... I know that parents would be more ok with accidents caused by a childs friends than a accident caused by a 6 foot well built adult.

As for rats - yes its a issue. They also destroy any costume or food left in the caves, especially in the briefing areas, or in the cubby holes and desks, and a leather bag I found in the hiring hall... they will eat anything.
The parties are a great idea, and also bring in the advertising through school bulletins and word of mouth from parents in the playground.

--------------------
~ William Gibson ~

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

+Quote Post
abyatt
post Jan 29 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #12

Mercenary

Member No.: 3

The brochure for both childrens and adult birthday parties at the caves is currently in draft format and ready to go to the professionals to show us how it should be done.

We will begin promoting these additional services, as well as independent caves hire, at the Foreign Fields event next weekend.
A more structured marketing plan for those events will begin shortly after.

Regards,
Andy

--------------------
Damn I love muggles

+Quote Post
post Jan 29 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Group:

QUOTE(abyatt @ Jan 29 2009, 05:34 PM) *
The brochure for both childrens and adult birthday parties at the caves is currently in draft format and ready to go to the professionals to show us how it should be done.

We will begin promoting these additional services, as well as independent caves hire, at the Foreign Fields event next weekend.
A more structured marketing plan for those events will begin shortly after.

Regards,
Andy

can you tell us as yet what the prices might be Andy ? for parties and independent cave hire ?

+Quote Post
JulianW
post Jan 29 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #14

Viper

Member No.: 36

QUOTE(saracentruth @ Jan 29 2009, 03:32 PM) *
? I know, or that is, that is what we are all doing probably, it's up to the powers that be to make decisions definately not me (thank god. or perhaps the ruler of Primus or something).

Ironically, last time I visited Cisco head office in the US, I saw a rat happily sunning himself on the path outside one of the side entrances to a building. It was the main building where all the board members have their offices - on the other side of the path was a line of ferraris, aston martins and similar cars - so wish I had had a camera with me.

Julian

--------------------
Embrace your inner munchkin
email jmw451 @ gmail.com if you want to reach me reliably

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jan 29 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #15

Mercenary

American Rats are so much cooler than ours - was it wearing ray bans? It should have been.

--------------------
~ William Gibson ~

Fox's Box
Fantasy Couture

+Quote Post
post Feb 7 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #16

Group:

The height difference between YP's is very large, for example there are about three of us who could play half-trolls [5'11"] legit-ly (only one does though) and many more who could pass as infant halflings

I was in an area of magical darkness and Unarmed combatting at CHEST HEIGHT all in front of me (Gently... feeling for walls at the same time) when I got warned by the ref that my blows were just above the tops of the monsters heads... :s

Parties would be great crack and would get new people involved in Labby who would otherwise have no idea of its existance.

Alistair

+Quote Post
abyatt
post Feb 18 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #17

Mercenary

QUOTE(saracentruth @ Jan 29 2009, 05:39 PM) *
can you tell us as yet what the prices might be Andy ? for parties and independent cave hire ?

I've just added the draft brochures for caves hire and for special birthday events to the downloads section of these forums.

Andy

--------------------
Damn I love muggles

+Quote Post
jasonprice
post Feb 19 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #18

Mercenary

Member No.: 135

QUOTE(abyatt @ Feb 18 2009, 03:37 PM) *
I've just added the draft brochures for caves hire and for special birthday events to the downloads section of these forums.

just thought i would throw in my 2 pence worth.

ok on the adults and minors not being able to fight with them, not true i have been doing MA for the last 20+ yrs and the and train the younger members and never had an injury from use of too much force !!! and has been this way for years in full to semi contact MA just need good and careful staff.

on the who could or would work on these events, i would be more than happy to help out on these, im a fully qualified Youth worker and hold a full enhanced police check. i spoke to the last management team at the caves just before the new team took over, but would be willing to chat about this again with the team ...

Jason

--------------------
Jay

+Quote Post
abyatt
post Feb 19 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #19

Mercenary

ok on the adults and minors not being able to fight with them, not true i have been doing MA for the last 20+ yrs and the and train the younger members and never had an injury from use of too much force !!! and has been this way for years in full to semi contact MA just need good and careful staff

MA may well have different insurance cover. Personally the thought of Chunk engaging in combat with a 10 year old is just too frightening to comprehend!

on the who could or would work on these events, i would be more than happy to help out on these, im a fully qualified Youth worker and hold a full enhanced police check. i spoke to the last management team at the caves just before the new team took over, but would be willing to chat about this again with the team ...
Jason

Cool - happy to chat about this in person.

Thanks,
Andy

--------------------
Damn I love muggles

+Quote Post
john
post Feb 20 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #20

Militiaman

Member No.: 143

QUOTE(Andrea @ Jan 29 2009, 03:55 PM) *
I was voicing something that is already "policy" I have no idea about the actual insurance though I would assume its in there somewhere. I know adults will try to be careful - however, being of the shorter pursuasion myself I have been hit around the face alot in the past and have seen injuries recently occuring from blows that would be chest height for an adult male, but are head height for younger adult players and shorties like me... I know that parents would be more ok with accidents caused by a childs friends than a accident caused by a 6 foot well built adult.

As for rats - yes its a issue. They also destroy any costume or food left in the caves, especially in the briefing areas, or in the cubby holes and desks, and a leather bag I found in the hiring hall... they will eat anything.
The parties are a great idea, and also bring in the advertising through school bulletins and word of mouth from parents in the playground.

i guess a way to deal with the problem of monsters is to get y.p's down who are 13 or under and offer monster points for it, because that means that the blows will all be roughly the same height and that you don't have the problem of adults hitting 11-12 year olds. With other 11-13 year olds monstering for them, then you could end up with the "party" (pardon the pun) having a good time and all their friends and have the monsters enjoy it aswell and get rewarded so if there is the reward then more people will be enjoying it.

matthew

Just an idea ( i am a y.p aged 14)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:52 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins