IPB WARNING [2] Declaration of class_bbcode::convert_emoticon($matches = Array) should be compatible with class_bbcode_core::convert_emoticon($code = '', $image = '') (Line: 0 of /sources/classes/bbcode/class_bbcode.php)
Making monstering seen as a bonus - Labyrinthe Forum
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Making monstering seen as a bonus
TimDallen
post Sep 29 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Heldsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

Given the still almost weekly call out for monsters and aware that your event could always fail to run or not run at the last minute what could be done to make monstering and specifically booking in advance more appealing?

Is the non standard system strong enough still to maybe only allow YP to be purchased with a spend of MP's (which means you have to earn them!)

Just trying to throw ideas at a never resolved issue with Labyrinthe that is more and more making other systems more appealing.

Tim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
NickBurne
post Sep 29 2017, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Militiaman

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,060

QUOTE(TimDallen @ Sep 29 2017, 09:03 AM) *
Given the still almost weekly call out for monsters and aware that your event could always fail to run or not run at the last minute what could be done to make monstering and specifically booking in advance more appealing?

Is the non standard system strong enough still to maybe only allow YP to be purchased with a spend of MP's (which means you have to earn them!)

Just trying to throw ideas at a never resolved issue with Labyrinthe that is more and more making other systems more appealing.

Tim

I think the benefits from monstering are fine, you get credits, you can put points on a character and you can make items. I don't think there is much more you could offer.

However, perhaps the answer lies in accessibility, the system may seem complicated to those that are new to the game, especially with dungeons beyond say a thousand points.

That's why I like the lower end, it's smoother to run, the maths are easier and you don't get swamped with minus this that, fraction this and that, or feel that you are missing knowledge of parts of the system due to experience.

I monstered a high level dungeon recently, and as much as I tried to memorise the stats of an encounter, it just boiled down to some monsters die quicker, some monsters throw a few spells about, etc.

Not to say that the vast depth of classes, points and skills are of detriment to Labyrinthe, quite the opposite.

What is it you find that other systems offer that Labyrinthe does not?

I think due to the fact that most players of the game are experienced, the low end of the system does not appeal to them, as many seek to gain higher point thresholds and push to legendary status.

Personally, I enjoyed starting at level 1 and making my way to 8th. Before in the 80's / 90's, to receive a green post-8th card was hard-earned and a great reward.

People point out that playing a wizard for example is boring on a low, due to low amounts of power. There's nothing stopping a ref giving you those power points back. Roleplay should be of priority, otherwise you enter MMO land.

I think starting at 4th / 8th, guild specials, theme days and myths are generally catered to the committed and long-time players of the system. That could perhaps close doors to some.

I'm sure others with more experience have more knowledge on the matter. It took a while after my return to get into the 'swing' of things.

There's no reason for Labyrinthe not to flourish with regards to numbers.

Cheers,

- Nick.

--------------------
Nick.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TimDallen   Making monstering seen as a bonus   Sep 29 2017, 08:03 AM
NickBurne   Given the still almost weekly call out for monster...   Sep 29 2017, 08:17 AM
duncanmatthias   Given the still almost weekly call out for monster...   Sep 29 2017, 09:02 AM
giles   I think Nick has a point - particularly re. gettin...   Sep 29 2017, 09:13 AM
dhurrell   I think Nick has a point - particularly re. gettin...   Sep 29 2017, 10:19 AM
BBB   Rewards will help - and I really don't see the...   Sep 29 2017, 01:03 PM
BBB   Given the still almost weekly call out for monster...   Sep 29 2017, 11:21 AM
Netheril   These are all just personal thoughts, and can very...   Sep 29 2017, 11:53 AM
RichardCraig   I've suggest a fix that seemed to go down well...   Sep 29 2017, 11:37 AM
dnsmantra   The biggest problem imho is that largely monsterin...   Sep 29 2017, 01:06 PM
NickBurne   I have noticed at times that a few dungeons have f...   Sep 29 2017, 01:35 PM
DaveR   I think a good way of squeezing more roleplay and ...   Sep 29 2017, 02:22 PM
JackFlashblade   Some good points here on a subject much debated. ...   Sep 29 2017, 06:20 PM
fatteacher   I'm not going to talk about the incentives sid...   Sep 29 2017, 07:33 PM
oggrod   i think the rewards for monstering these days are ...   Sep 29 2017, 09:08 PM
NickBurne   i think the rewards for monstering these days are ...   Sep 29 2017, 09:10 PM
draco   Monster incentives are great, the only thing that ...   Sep 29 2017, 09:17 PM
Onasuma   I think there are very few of us who monster prima...   Sep 29 2017, 09:54 PM
JasonE   More people = more possible crew Need to spread th...   Sep 30 2017, 12:29 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:28 PM
Original Darkness Skin Created by Danellis
Converted by Mdgshorty of New Horizon Skins